Notices

3rd attempt at tapering.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Successful day 1 and beginning of day 2

Hello again everyone,

I just finished writing my replies to yesterday's and some of today's replies, so now it is time for the promised update. I want to start by saying a big THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who has been following and contributing to this thread. I've already been given more support, advice, resources, and have been made to question my stance on quitting more then I ever expected, which is exactly what I need.

As you all know, yesterday was the first day of the taper. The plan was to drink 10 cheap, ice cold beers on the hour every hour. No more, no less. Everything was going perfectly fine until I got to the last beer. I had purchased an 18 pack which was supposed to cover me for the first two days of the taper 10 and 8. Well, when I finished the 10th beer last night and had the 8 for tomorrow sitting in the room right across the hall from me, I was VERY tempted to continue. I sat here and went through every scenario I could to justify breaking into the 8 other beers. Despite all the good I reasons my alcoholic brain came up with, I knew that if I had another and was still honest with myself and all of you, I would have to get on the forum tomorrow and tell you all that I slipped again, and on the first day.

Thanks so much for the accountability and support.

So far the only problem withdrawal wise I have experienced during this taper was trouble sleeping and slight night sweats. I actually woke up feeling really good this morning. It is amazing how much different you feel waking up after drinking 10 beers over a day then how you feel waking up after having a fifth in a few hours.

Well, today is day 2 and I'm on the third beer out of 8. I've been trying to eat a lot, taking vitamins, exercising and drinking tons of water. I'll probably be reading and replying throughout the day, and I will post an update on how day 2 went probably tomorrow A.M.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
Oooops-

Rereading my post it sounds kinds harsh!

You can quit any time you want - no need to taper.

If you can do it with tapering that's fine - I have yet to see anybody do that but you could be the first.
No worries and thanks for participating in my post.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JC812 View Post
I'd never heard of AVRT until your above post. I took a quick look at it yesterday and it sounds very appealing to me. I'm going to look into it further.

I'd never heard of either, till I started reading the threads here last year.

And since that time , I've seen many SR members use it successfully.

If ya start at the first thread, it's really good reading, .....and they include many links to additional supportive info/ books/ web sites.

I don't know how to post a link to that first thread , but someone will come along that can, maybe.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend anyone interested in AVRT or SMART or any non 12 step programme visit the Secular Connections forum

D
Old 04-16-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

To "J" and your struggles...I ordered the AVART book yesterday,,,used, it was like $11.
I have never been successful tapering...AND I have about 35 years of drinking experience !! I just completed 5 weeks of total abstinence...and then yesterday picked up a 12 pack and drank them all last night, slept all day today. It was not a fun experience...only plus is it drowned the depression for a few hours.It was pointless, except for re-affirming how immediate this major depression is ! I have to make a new appt with my psyhc dr. as last Friday was canceled on me.
To me, if your tapering off starts with that many beers, you are playing with fire...I would at least talk to a dr. for withdrawal meds....I wish success for you with all the compassion I have to give !

Cindy
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Thx clearlight for the posting youmade b4 the last 1....THANK U FOR BEING SOOOOOO HONEST & calling it what it is!!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Successful day 2 and half way through day three

Hello everyone,

Thanks again for the support and participation. Like I said before it has already helped greatly to have people to be accountable to.

Yesterday was day 2 of the taper which meant having 8 beers spaced throughout the day. I must say it went really well overall. I was very pleased to not have the terrible cravings to continue drinking that I had on day 1. The only real withdrawal effect I experienced was a higher then normal heart rate for a period of ~5 min while I was in bed, but I monitored it for a bit and did some relaxation techniques and it went down.

It has been a quite while since I have had this little to drink and I must say that I've felt so much better upon waking in the morning then I have in a long long time. It really reinforces my want to quit for good this time. I can't wait to feel how much better I feel as my body recovers from all the poison.

Right now I'm halfway through day 3 of the taper and its going fine so far. I'll post an update tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raku View Post
To "J" and your struggles...I ordered the AVART book yesterday,,,used, it was like $11.
I have never been successful tapering...AND I have about 35 years of drinking experience !! I just completed 5 weeks of total abstinence...and then yesterday picked up a 12 pack and drank them all last night, slept all day today. It was not a fun experience...only plus is it drowned the depression for a few hours.It was pointless, except for re-affirming how immediate this major depression is ! I have to make a new appt with my psyhc dr. as last Friday was canceled on me.
To me, if your tapering off starts with that many beers, you are playing with fire...I would at least talk to a dr. for withdrawal meds....I wish success for you with all the compassion I have to give !

Cindy
Hey Cindy,

Sorry to hear about the relapse and congrats on getting the book. Please let me know what you think about it once you have some time to dig into it. Sorry your Dr. canceled on you. I've had that happen once when I really need to see him and it just plain sucks when the timing is bad like that. The reason I started the taper with so many beers was to give my body a chance to adjust slowly to the decrease of alcohol since I had been drinking so much to begin with. I wanted to shock the system as little as possible. I'm sorry to hear about the depression. Have you ever seen the documentary Food Matters? Its got some interesting information about the nutrition side of depression if you are interested. Feel free to PM me if you need an ear or shoulder.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

sounds solid

Originally Posted by JC812 View Post

I am doing 10 today, then 8, 6, 4, 2, and hopefully 0.
that is great
and
I must say that your plan to wean sounds like a solid one

best of luck
and
many blessings sent
from
onehigherpower
Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

JC..

Congrats to you ! My best to you for your continuing success and thanks for the Food Matters tip...I'll check it out !

C

Last edited by raku; 04-17-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 04-18-2013, 02:47 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I also feel somewhat uncomfortable with you describing how much you are drinking each day and how much you have left. I have seen several pain-pill addicts here, constantly "measuring their stash" (ie: "i have only 20mgs of brand X and just 5 100mg of X left"), and it always is a head scratcher for me. When you talk about having 10 beers today, 8 beers tomorrow, etc, it smells familiar. Once again I am just giving my opinion. I do want you to get out of this, but you have to remember your audience.

Alcohol has taken away many important things in my life, affected my health, relationships, and has shaken me to the core. Forgive me for not having the same sympathy of others as you describe each sip of cold tasty beer you drank today and how much you are going to have tomorrow....

Again, I urge you to go to detox, go to a Minute Clinic or Urgent Care center. Rip off the band aid. I wish you all the best.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Successful day 3 and beginning of day 4

Hello SR,

Yesterday was day 3 of the taper which meant 6 ice cold cheap beers spread out throughout the day. Again yesterday I had no cravings to drink anymore then the allotted amount, which surprised me greatly. I forgot to mention that on day 2 I did have more trouble sleeping then I remember to post about, but I guess that is a pretty small price to pay. Last night I got a pretty bad headache a couple of hours after I finished the last beer. I also had a high, but not scary high resting heart rate for a period of about 30 minutes. I monitored this and it went away after a while just like the night before. I ended up sleeping really well and woke up very refreshed this morning.

Today is day 4 and I am 1 beer into the 4 for today. I've really only made it one day into a taper before, so I'm very happy to be at this point. Every day I successfully reduce, my will to continue soars.

I'll be on throughout the day and post an update tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone for the hope and support.
It is greatly needed and greatly appreciated.

JC
Old 04-18-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
I also feel somewhat uncomfortable with you describing how much you are drinking each day and how much you have left. I have seen several pain-pill addicts here, constantly "measuring their stash" (ie: "i have only 20mgs of brand X and just 5 100mg of X left"), and it always is a head scratcher for me. When you talk about having 10 beers today, 8 beers tomorrow, etc, it smells familiar. Once again I am just giving my opinion. I do want you to get out of this, but you have to remember your audience.

Alcohol has taken away many important things in my life, affected my health, relationships, and has shaken me to the core. Forgive me for not having the same sympathy of others as you describe each sip of cold tasty beer you drank today and how much you are going to have tomorrow....

Again, I urge you to go to detox, go to a Minute Clinic or Urgent Care center. Rip off the band aid. I wish you all the best.
In good humor, I promise.

My intention really wasn't to make a beer commercial, but I guess sometimes things slip through the cracks. Hopefully I will get royalties.

I read your post several times and decided to go walk the dog before I decided to reply. I think that if our positions were reversed I would probably say the same thing and give the same advice. A taper certainly is counting your stash. In fact, counting your stash is a requirement of the taper. Sharing that information with all of you, talking about 10,8,6,4,2, is me being open and getting accountability in return.

I understand you again urging me to go to Urgent Care and I promise I will if I relapse. Everything is going so smoothly with the taper this time, with all the help from all of you that I am convinced I can see it through and will try before seeking other options.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I don't see a problem with your tapering, especially if you don't have alot of money to spend on a doctor. I tried it myself, several times. It just didn't work for me, I always found an excuse to drink more. It was pretty much impossible for me to quit drinking once I had started.

That being said, I encourage you in your efforts. At the very least, if you fail, you will realize that it doesn't work for you. Finding that out for yourself will convince you more than someone else telling you. I finally realized I had to quit cold turkey. Tapering, when Im honest with myself, was just another excuse to drink.

You are getting down to the nitty gritty now. I don't think I've ever drank just 4 beers in my life. But, good luck, keep us posted..
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

JC

I'm sending you encouragement ! Keep posting on your progress !

Cindy
Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't see a problem with your tapering, especially if you don't have alot of money to spend on a doctor. I tried it myself, several times.
I'm not sure finances is a good reason, not to seek medical treatment.

Tapering involves a risk - that why we don't recommend it.

I'm not picking on the OP, it's just that this money reason comes up a lot.

I understand it cos I did it too, but it's crazy not to spend money on our health when we think nothing of spending that amount, or more, on booze.

The other thing to consider is that there are a lot of free or low cost clinics around the US now - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there.

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
211 can also be helpful.

2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.

D
Old 04-19-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Successful day 4 and beginning of LAST DAY!

Hello All,

Yesterday was day 4 which mean 4 beers spaced out throughout the day. I felt good upon waking and throughout the day. I had ferocious cravings for more for the first two hours after I finished drinking the 4, but those completely left after I ate dinner. It makes me think that working on keeping a consistent blood sugar throughout the day might be really helpful in fighting cravings. I slept well. I had no night sweats, but very vivid dreams.

Today is the final day of the taper. Only 2 beers today. I woke up feeling refreshed and with a great energy level. I also came to a realization this morning that quitting is the most important thing in my life right now. It is the most important thing I can do for myself and the most important thing I can do for the people that care about me and the people I care about. That thought really put everything into perspective and made me truly want to make this quit the final one.

Thanks again for all of your help,

JC
Old 04-19-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks JC, for your post and continuing success of your personal program ! Keep on postin'

Cindy
Old 04-19-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I generally would start drinking after work when I was hungry, and the booze would make my hunger go away until dinner. One of many problems was that I was learning that drinking is what I'm supposed to do when I get hungry, so being hungry was a trigger.

Might want to make sure you have plenty of chow on hand for the next couple weeks. Plenty of room in your diet to eat an extra meal or two when you cut out the booze.

Good luck, glad to hear you are making progress. You may get some withdrawals during the first few days of no booze. It'll pass. Stay motivated, have faith, work the plan.