Notices

Normal?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hope for change

Normal?

Is it normal to just wanna sleep all day and eat crap on the couch? Sit around and cry and feel sorry for myself? Even when sun is shining outside and the weather is finally warming up?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would say probably not.

How long has this been going on? It could be that you are depressed and talking to your dr might be a good idea.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found myself doing the exact same thing. As I type this I'm thinking bout taking a nap. I think it is because in a way you are grieving. Also I think that you maybe suffering from depression. I developed anxiety because of the stress my AH caused. I may not have panic attacks but I do sill get migraines, stomach pains, and all I wanna do is sleep. So I get what you're going through.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hope for change

This is the first day and I'm reliving my night last night. Thinking about all the stupid **** I did and how I embarrassed myself and my brother. I just want to go to bed and wake up a month from now
Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

I was basically in bed for the first week. It's not the best way to deal, I'm sure, but my feeling was that I had enough to beat myself up over without getting mad at myself for being lazy while I went through the acute withdrawal. Try to keep your mind occupied. Download some movies, read a book, just don't focus on feeling embarrassed. Try to eat some healthy-ish food, start taking vitamins, and drink lots of water.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first day in awhile...hang in there as will I. My hangover which shows up in the form of nervousness and anxiety has had it's grips on me all day. Looking forward to waking up feeling much better. They say that everything we do is to seek pleasure or avoid pain...Interesting that alcohol provides both but lately the pain is stronger than the pleasure. Time for new habits...
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

In my drinking days, when I got into trouble, I used to sleep to escape. At least while i was asleep I didn't have to think about facing the consequences.

Then, when I was about 20, I went through detox and treatment, about a 10 week programme. Came out having completely missed the point, and tried to resume my life without alcohol. I had not realised that there were few more things that would have to change, like my way of life and thinking, and I did absolutely nothing else to help myself.

The domicilliary nurse called on me as a follow up to the treatment, about 6 weeks after I left, and found me not drinking, but living in "absolute squalor" (his words). I could not get out of bed. I had lost the ability to function in the world without my solution (alcohol).
They gave me some pills, presumably they thought I was depressed which was probably right. I didn't like pills, so a week or two later I found a man who loved pills, and traded mine for booze.

For me, the booze treated my inability to function in the world. Take away the booze and do nothing else, and depression was the result, which can of course be treated with medication.

But it seems this was just treating symptoms, not causes, and there was no permanent solution in either booze or drugs.

Today I live happily free of both. I found a solution.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Those feelings were normal for me the day after drinking. If you stay sober you won't ever have to feel this way again.