Notices

Got of job offer, but turned it down

Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got of job offer, but turned it down

Hi, one of my "whine" posts has been that I am out of work.

I applied for a position that is semi within my scope of smarts, and the job sounds very interesting. But after sleeping on it, (and to not waste the employers time) I humbly withdrew my application.

The position is very high tech, but it is highly specialized. I'm a bit of a free spirit and have concerns about being locked into a job that may grow tech wise, but it will always revolve around the basic product.

The commute was excessive (for me).

The pay rate was 10K less than what I normally made.

I know that I will not stay at the job if my true passion job shows itself (and in time I know it will).

And (the deep seeded honesty bits), I'm a bit afraid. It is just enough out of my comfort zone.

Not that I am looking for Jim, you did the wrong thing, or Jim you did the right thing, but I am curious, how many of us who are out of work have declined a position. Is it possible that I have a touch of the "Fear of success" syndrome?

Thoughts, comments?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice work on the offer Jim.. Keep looking for the one you really want!! There will be another one!!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If its not the right fit, its not right. I would trust this instinct and keep pursuing your passion. Its good that you know yourself, and know that you will not be happy. I have taken on plenty of jobs that are not right for me just to pay my bills. The job I am at now is temporary, and will end asap. Your looking out for yourself.
Fear of success? I don't know. The post does not convey that you are afraid of success. The post conveys that its less money, more travel time. Keep reaching for the stars!
On another note, your bills are covered right? Financially, things are good for now?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm going thru kinda the same thing. Recently unemployed, starting recovery, new teeth. I'm not looking for a big challenge in a new job right now. Better to turn down a borderline offer than risk upsetting your other needs right now.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The enconomy suck right now in the US!! The hope and change is a big freaking joke! I've been out of work for over a year!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's hard to trust your gut when you are in early recovery, but the little voice is telling you that this may not be right for you. I hope you find peace with the decision you made.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd deliver pizza and wait for the offer that feels right.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
If its not the right fit, its not right. I would trust this instinct and keep pursuing your passion.
On another note, your bills are covered right? Financially, things are good for now?
Hey Miz, this is my thought too. Yes, granted I am in survival mode, I am for the most part "ok".

Thanks for your insight!!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post
I'd deliver pizza and wait for the offer that feels right.
Funny you say that, but I kinda like the idea of driving a cab! Working on getting my class 4 and chiefs permit

Thanks!!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I know it's hard to trust your gut when you are in early recovery, but the little voice is telling you that this may not be right for you. I hope you find peace with the decision you made.
You got it! "The little voice" is really telling me DON'T DO IT!! I believe that I am at peace with it, I know that I would not stay at this position.

Thanks so much for your message!!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DryRoastJim View Post
Funny you say that, but I kinda like the idea of driving a cab! Working on getting my class 4 and chiefs permit

Thanks!!
Do it!!!

Pizza and Cab are instant cash, nice to have on hand, especially if you're living off of savings, or family. Plus its a job that won't hurt your reputation to leave on short notice.

I was a pizza delivery driver for a day, (the resturant i worked at sucked and i was 16 so i quit) but I made 110 in tips and 50 on the clock. Not bad for a days work, at age 16, and that was 90s money when gas was like $1.09 a gallon.