Blogs

Notices

i have a question...

Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

Noone here can diagnose you...but I find the time off test is pretty good.

If you're worried - take 6 months off drinking HelterSkelter - if you're not in any trouble that should be a fairly easy thing to do....

if that seems like a big ask...then maybe that's your answer

D
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
least (04-16-2013), Received (04-15-2013), sugarbear1 (04-15-2013), venuscat (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

six months does seem like a really long time..... hmmm.

also, damn, 60000 posts >.<. that's a lot. never seen that before. i thought 20k was a lot when i saw it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HelterSkelter67 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (04-15-2013), venuscat (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

just food for thought.

and yeah I talk...a lot

D
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
least (04-16-2013), venuscat (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelterSkelter67 View Post
six months does seem like a really long time..... hmmm.

also, damn, 60000 posts >.<. that's a lot. never seen that before. i thought 20k was a lot when i saw it.
HelterSkelter today is my day one. The reason I downloaded this app and became a member and the reason why I'm going to my first ever AA meeting tonight is because I've had enough. I've had so many second chances. I really urge you to think about why you're here and asking these questions. Only you know the truth deep down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravenewworld07 For This Useful Post:
sugarbear1 (04-15-2013), venuscat (04-15-2013)
  # 25 (permalink)  

i used to drink to have fun with people, go out and do stuff. you know, crazy college kid stuff. i think the problem now is i don't really go out and do stuff and i just drink to fill in the gaps....
The Following User Says Thank You to HelterSkelter67 For This Useful Post:
venuscat (04-15-2013)
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful Member ♥

Yes Welcome HelterSkelter67!!

As Dee said, no one else can tell you if you are an alcoholic.

There is a good little questionnaire on the AA website that helps you figure it out I think.....

Alcoholics Anonymous : Is A.A. For You?

I know this was helpful for me in the times I really wasn't sure how serious my problem was.

Wishing you all the best; you're a thinker, and I'm sure you will get a handle on this!!!

Nice to meet you

Venus xx
The Following User Says Thank You to venuscat For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Grateful Member ♥

bravenewworld07 Welcome to you as well!!!

And congratulations on Day 1!! So glad you found us, and I hope the meeting tonight is a really positive experience for you!!

Love Vxx
Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
bravenewworld07 Welcome to you as well!!!

And congratulations on Day 1!! So glad you found us, and I hope the meeting tonight is a really positive experience for you!!

Love Vxx
Thanks venuscat! I'll let you all know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to bravenewworld07 For This Useful Post:
venuscat (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Yes Welcome HelterSkelter67!!

As Dee said, no one else can tell you if you are an alcoholic.

There is a good little questionnaire on the AA website that helps you figure it out I think.....

***deleted link because "To be able to post links or images your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 9 posts."

I know this was helpful for me in the times I really wasn't sure how serious my problem was.

Wishing you all the best; you're a thinker, and I'm sure you will get a handle on this!!!

Nice to meet you

Venus xx
answering honestly i only got 2 out of 12. more like 2.5 out of twelve since i don't really go to parties so that question was not effective for me.

makes me feel a little better.
venuscat (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i had to send my kitty away because my mom got in an accident and it couldn't be around for a while. i get it back in a few days. once tyler is back i'm sure i'll be able to stay away from the booze a lot easier.

ever since he has been gone it seems like every where i look there is a pic of a cat or someone talking about cats XD

not to make you feel bad, but your pic/name reminded me of him lol
venuscat (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

When you start worrying and questioning yourself, you may indeed have a problem. Otherwise you wouldnt need to worry right? But you alone can decide, we can't tell you if you are an alcoholic or not. However if it helps I am the same age as you, and the way I drank was definitely NOT normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyerFan For This Useful Post:
venuscat (04-16-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I didn't have time to read the whole thread, but I'll share my experience and you can take it for what it's worth.

I am going to be 30 next month. At the age of 24 my drinking was about the same as yours. I wouldn't drink everyday, or even every week, but when I did, it was always a lot. It was to get buzzed/drunk. I wasn't interested in drinking for the taste.

After school and I got a better job and started pulling in some decent money, my drinking expanded to everyday about the same amount that you are drinking right now when you do drink... everyday.

Fortunately, I caught myself and quit. But, it's a progressive habit. As you drink you will build up a tolerance and you will have to drink more to get the same effect. I told myself for several years "Oh, I'll grow out of it." I never did. I had to step up, man up, and quit despite my cravings to continue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garen For This Useful Post:
least (04-16-2013), venuscat (04-16-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you are concerned about your drinking.

It sounds like you are controlling/moderating your drinking now, but it's likely that it will change. Controlling drinking is a slippery slope. Good for you for working on being the best person you can be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
least (04-16-2013), venuscat (04-16-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It is a slippery slope and and I didn't see the switch that was flipped from my young and rowdy drinking to my problem drinking. Looking back, I see that I drank differently. I would plan on having one or two and always end up having more. I drank to get drunk. I turned into a different person when I drank. And I felt regret and embarrassment many mornings after. I don't know that experiencing these things guaranteed me to turn into an alcoholic, but I did. And I wish I had been more careful. There are many different looks to alcoholism. If it's causing a problem, it's a problem. Be careful and hope you find what you're looking for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneLessLonely For This Useful Post:
Dib42 (04-15-2013), venuscat (04-16-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I am in my first year and even after 7 months, i still think the same thoughts as you. and i too believe i can snuff out anything that's harming me. everyone i met said it has nothing to do with amounts of booze or frequency but with this inability to control my drinking. now obviously someone in the earliest stage will have more manageability than someone at the advanced stage. like any disease, it gets worse with time. i come from a family of strong willed and pretty miserable alcoholics, many of whom white knuckled for years, suffering binges now and then and pulling themselves back from the brink. i can do the strong willed thing and stop after i get the buzz i need in order to function in my life. i can also stop for long periods of time even if i go nuts inside.

but what i can't do is STAY STOPPED. that's another part of it too. can i say to myself, ok, i'm done with this forever? no. i've done that when it comes to other things that hurt me--foods or activities or bad habits. initially, it's hard, but then it literally leaves me and i go on with my life. but i can't do that with booze. that's a key for me. the other thing: i spent a lot of time thinking about how to control it. so i would do research online and determine how many times and amounts i should drink per week so i could still do it but not increase tolerance. it took so much time and energy every day to work this out!

a friend kept saying to me, i don't ever do this. i don't even think about whether or not i have a problem. i can look forward to a glass of wine, drink two thirds of it and leave the rest. this is unimaginable to me!

keep hanging around here for a while. if you do have a problem, you could save yourself decades of pain by addressing it now. i kept looking for reasons why i did NOT have a problem instead of looking at why i did.

also, this is just me. but i found it helpful to forget about the label, alcoholic, and focus instead on the questions: Am i having trouble stopping and staying stopped? Do normal drinkers have this problem? What might the cost to me and my loved ones be if this is true and I keep going?

Welcome.

Zorah
The Following User Says Thank You to zorah For This Useful Post:
venuscat (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

i set a few rules for myself:

1 no more drinking alone

2 no more than 14 drinks in a week

3 no drinking before 9 pm or after 2 am.

this makes it pretty hard for me to habitually drink as i don't go out very often anymore. shouldn't be too hard to follow.
venuscat (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Grateful Member ♥

Wishing you all the best HelterSkelter67 ~ if the rules don't work out for you, you can always come back and chat with us ~ we are always here!!!

Hugs to you and Tyler,

Venus xx
Old 04-16-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would say the fact that you're posting here would indicate you think you may have a problem. I agree with Dee that you should stop altogether for six months. If it's easy, you don't have a problem. But if that is hard to do, you may indeed have a problem. And remember, problems with alcohol always get worse, never better.
The Following User Says Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
venuscat (04-16-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

well, i haven't had a drink in 2 weeks. the only time i even think about drinking is when i notice the shot glass that still sits next to my computer. i'd feel more like this was a big accomplishment if i wasn't trying to spend as little money as possible this month and therefore having alcohol cut from the budget.