Notices

Functional Alcoholic

Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Functional Alcoholic

I drink way to much. First thing I do when I get home in the evenings is to open a bottle of wine. I always tell myself 'one glass only', but of course it never stays at one glass. I have tried so many times to break this habit, but come 6 o'clock and it is the same procedure. It is affecting my relationships, my weight, self esteem and general ambition. How do I stop this down spiraling habit?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Sonika, of course there is AA, but the bottom line is don't take another drink of alcohol. I'm 1004 days sober, and in the beginning the cravings were awful and it was irratating but all that goes away with time. Rootin for ya.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic the path ahead is quite clear. Your status as a functioning alcoholic will diminish and you'll enter into an altogether more scary state of being a non-functioning one. Alcoholism is a progressive malady, which over any given period of time becomes worse never better. Oddly, that is also the case even if you stop drinking. The malady continues to grow in strength. So a functioning alcoholic who stopped drinking, say 10 years ago, if returning to drinking today, would find their reaction to alcohol to be far more intense. For an alcoholic the only course of action is total abstinence.

The inability to drink in moderation is a classic alcoholic trait. One drink sets up a 'phenomenon of craving', which is very hard to resist. Hence, the drinking to excess.

The thought of not drinking may sound horrific to you. As it does to all of us initially. However, that is because for a long time we had relied on alcohol to cope with life's difficulties. In some cases we had never learned even the most basic coping mechanisms. That is, essentially, what sobriety is all about. The giving up of alcohol is only the start of the process. The real work is learning to live without it.

This could be attempted alone. However, without any help I always drink again. I would not recommend attempting it solo. This site offers a huge amount of support, and has helped me tremendously. Not because I often ask for advice or guidance. But the very act of writing and posting connects me to a power greater than myself. AA is also very good, and I attended for 10 years before moving to where I now live (there is no English speaking AA here). Forget and tabloid/sensationalist information that you may have read regarding AA, and see for yourself what the fellowship can do. Go to meetings that you feel comfortable in.

Best of luck on your journey.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sonika

I was in a very similar situation to you. Coming here and reading a lot helped. I developed lots of health and anxiety problems from drinking like that so I had to give it up. Even when I had to give up though I found it hard to do. But it is possible You'll find lots of support here x
Old 04-14-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR x

Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Talk with your doctor about detoxing.

Stop buying and drinking the stuff.

Stay stopped and if you need some method of recovery, look into these options:

Rational Recovery
AVRT
SMART
Life Ring
Power to Quit
SOS
Women for Sobriety
AA

All have their own websites.

I wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Sonika - welcome to SR where you will find help, support, and people just like you who have "been there, done that". 15 months ago was my first day of living life alcohol free. As a functioning alkie, I had the harsh reality hit me like a rock that living with booze coursing through my veins day in and day out was no way to live. I had lost the respect of my family and my dignity. Today, I have regained the love of my kids and am no longer fearful or filled with shame over what I might have done or said in a blackout. Good things come to those of us who walk away from the wine. If I can do it, I have every confidence that you can too. Make today the first day to avoid the 6pm decorking. Come here. Read a book. Take a walk. Fix a meal. Keep yourself occupied. Drink sparkling water or iced tea or a latte - anything you love rather than that fermented poison in the decorative bottle. Best of luck to you - we are all in this together. Lean on and learn from those who have gone down the sobriety path before you - you absolutley can do it! Hugs, NBC
Old 04-14-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Sonika,

You are in the right place! I am still fighting for my own sobriety (I can go 4-5 days before I cave and drink). One thing that I have found helpful is to introduce new patterns and routines to help you break the old ones that would lead to drinking. Don't buy wine. Don't go to the same stores where you used to buy it. Drive a different route so you won't be tempted to stop and buy a drink. Make plans that will not involve drinking. Babysit someone's kids. Go to church. Go see a play or a movie. Keep busy. One of the things that I miss most about my alcoholic self is the non-interest I have in my former interests and hobbies because booze took the front seat. I find that trying to fill my craving periods with these activities helps me a lot. For me this includes doing fun projects with my kids like paint or play-doh (things I couldn't be bothered with when I was drinking), playing my guitar, cooking, watching You Tube videos on hair and makeup and then practicing them on myself, cleaning my closet, giving myself a proper manicure (Lord knows I couldn't do that when drinking because I would always shake too much), exercise, see friends, go to church, spend time on Pinterest trying new projects...just some suggestions. Feel free to PM me if you want to...and hang in there. We can do this! PG
Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That was my story up till about 5 weeks ago.
There's a lot of different pathways to sobriety. My first suggestion would be to check out AA.
Just go to a meeting, sit there and say nothing. Nobody will bother you. You can check it out. Try that at about 4 or 5 meetings just to get a flavor of it.
It usually takes some kind of support to quit.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How do you stop this down spiraling habit? Tonight, drink tea instead of wine. Get on here and post, read, go to the chat room. Reach out for help, and talk through any cravings that you might have. Take it one step at a time.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had similar issues, my spiral downward began with drinking one bottle of wine per night, then 2. I continued to work and made over 6 figures at my white-collar sales job. I eventually quit work due to anxiety (which i later found out was because of drinking), and then I started drinking all day. I was rushed to the hospital after a year of this behavior because it almost killed me.

I used a 3 week inpatient program, some AA, some AVRT and RR methods, family support, and SR to stay sober. It's been 9 months.

In my case it has not been an easy journey. I think about my situation and relationship with alcohol daily and will continue to for a long time. I am sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but I did the same things as you and this is where I ended up. Good luck getting sober - alas I believe you will need to quit drinking forever and come to terms with that in order to get a healthy jump. I hope you have the courage to try!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Sonika! This is a great place for support.

I used to do the exact same thing with wine. (Thought that with it I was relieving stress from my job and relationships.) In a few years it went from 1 glass in the evenings to 2 then eventually the entire bottle every night, ...sometimes 2 bottles. I got to the point where I started fantasizing about that first glass every afternoon, or even right when I woke up. It got worse and worse, and nobody else even knew I had an issue. After a handful of years, I realized how much weight I had gained, and how my face was beginning to look puffy and old. I didn't look the same anymore. I realized that I was caring more about drinking than I was anything else. Waking up feeling sick had become the norm and I was disgusted with what I had become. I made several sobriety attempts with a week here and there, but it wasn't until I had that realistic and honest dialogue, asking myself if I want to continue down that road or do I really want it to be different? It won't change unless I make a serious commitment to get it out of my life. (I don't even have wine glasses in my house anymore.) I had to realize that wine was not relieving my stress or making me feel better, it was in reality making me feel worse. Alcohol is deceptive in that way.

It's been only 2.5 months that I've been sober now, but it's the BEST decision that I've ever made. The face puff has gone down and I've even lost almost all of the drinking weight. I feel good again. I feel motivated again. I feel free again.

You can do it Sonika. There's a myriad of options out there to help you quit. (I did it on my own, but I also hear that AA and other organizations or detox through doctors are fantastic.) Just choose something and make it happen Sonika. We're here supporting you!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just starting my life without alcohol as well. I'm in the same boat. I would call myself a functional alcoholic...I excuse away the volume of alcohol I drink because I am not ruining anything and my life is not necessarily in shambles. I am somehow juggling being a wife, mom, and full-time college student, all while hitting the bottle HARD almost every night and completely binging every weekend. The truth is, it is affecting my health, my memory, my weight, and like you said, ambition. I feel for you. The thought of giving it up is crappy, but I really want to try hard to be sober.

One day at a time. It will be so worth it.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Sonika, you sound like me. I went three months without any alcohol and then decided one glass would be ok. I am back here again and trying to get all of my supports back in place. I am trying SMART this time, and may go to other meetings as well.

I know that when I post on SR I do better. Today I plan on trying an AA meeting, going for a walk, doing Pilates, hanging out with the kids and doing some work. That should keep me busy!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ok - here I go. Thank you to all for replying. I do not feel so isolated anymore. I'm a mother, colleague, wife, taxi-driver and the list never ends.
I'm going to try and change my evening routine. Babysteps. Trying to avoid a long period of time in the kitchen, trying to juggle a meal, homework, dogs etc. I think a lot of women can relate.
So using the slow-cooker it will be. Meal planning in order not to be in the kitchen at 6.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeppyGirl View Post
Hi Sonika,

You are in the right place! I am still fighting for my own sobriety (I can go 4-5 days before I cave and drink). One thing that I have found helpful is to introduce new patterns and routines to help you break the old ones that would lead to drinking. Don't buy wine. Don't go to the same stores where you used to buy it. Drive a different route so you won't be tempted to stop and buy a drink. Make plans that will not involve drinking. Babysit someone's kids. Go to church. Go see a play or a movie. Keep busy. One of the things that I miss most about my alcoholic self is the non-interest I have in my former interests and hobbies because booze took the front seat. I find that trying to fill my craving periods with these activities helps me a lot. For me this includes doing fun projects with my kids like paint or play-doh (things I couldn't be bothered with when I was drinking), playing my guitar, cooking, watching You Tube videos on hair and makeup and then practicing them on myself, cleaning my closet, giving myself a proper manicure (Lord knows I couldn't do that when drinking because I would always shake too much), exercise, see friends, go to church, spend time on Pinterest trying new projects...just some suggestions. Feel free to PM me if you want to...and hang in there. We can do this! PG
Thank you! Will try the manicure
Old 04-15-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ComeOnPilgrim View Post
Just starting my life without alcohol as well. I'm in the same boat. I would call myself a functional alcoholic...I excuse away the volume of alcohol I drink because I am not ruining anything and my life is not necessarily in shambles. I am somehow juggling being a wife, mom, and full-time college student, all while hitting the bottle HARD almost every night and completely binging every weekend. The truth is, it is affecting my health, my memory, my weight, and like you said, ambition. I feel for you. The thought of giving it up is crappy, but I really want to try hard to be sober.

One day at a time. It will be so worth it.
That is it! I've made so many resolutions and as soon as stress sets in, I open a bottle of wine. Love a glass of wine, but this is taking over my life. I struggle to go to the gym, study and feel lethargic most of the time.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnwFlower View Post
Welcome Sonika! This is a great place for support.

I used to do the exact same thing with wine. (Thought that with it I was relieving stress from my job and relationships.) In a few years it went from 1 glass in the evenings to 2 then eventually the entire bottle every night, ...sometimes 2 bottles. I got to the point where I started fantasizing about that first glass every afternoon, or even right when I woke up. It got worse and worse, and nobody else even knew I had an issue. After a handful of years, I realized how much weight I had gained, and how my face was beginning to look puffy and old. I didn't look the same anymore. I realized that I was caring more about drinking than I was anything else. Waking up feeling sick had become the norm and I was disgusted with what I had become. I made several sobriety attempts with a week here and there, but it wasn't until I had that realistic and honest dialogue, asking myself if I want to continue down that road or do I really want it to be different? It won't change unless I make a serious commitment to get it out of my life. (I don't even have wine glasses in my house anymore.) I had to realize that wine was not relieving my stress or making me feel better, it was in reality making me feel worse. Alcohol is deceptive in that way.

It's been only 2.5 months that I've been sober now, but it's the BEST decision that I've ever made. The face puff has gone down and I've even lost almost all of the drinking weight. I feel good again. I feel motivated again. I feel free again.

You can do it Sonika. There's a myriad of options out there to help you quit. (I did it on my own, but I also hear that AA and other organizations or detox through doctors are fantastic.) Just choose something and make it happen Sonika. We're here supporting you!
Thank you for sharing this with me. It is very inspirational. The weight gain is unbelievable. Gained nearly 10kg over the past 5 years. Not good
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nonblondechef View Post
Hello Sonika - welcome to SR where you will find help, support, and people just like you who have "been there, done that". 15 months ago was my first day of living life alcohol free. As a functioning alkie, I had the harsh reality hit me like a rock that living with booze coursing through my veins day in and day out was no way to live. I had lost the respect of my family and my dignity. Today, I have regained the love of my kids and am no longer fearful or filled with shame over what I might have done or said in a blackout. Good things come to those of us who walk away from the wine. If I can do it, I have every confidence that you can too. Make today the first day to avoid the 6pm decorking. Come here. Read a book. Take a walk. Fix a meal. Keep yourself occupied. Drink sparkling water or iced tea or a latte - anything you love rather than that fermented poison in the decorative bottle. Best of luck to you - we are all in this together. Lean on and learn from those who have gone down the sobriety path before you - you absolutley can do it! Hugs, NBC
Thank you. I'm tired of feeling shame.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Sonika , I could have posted any of the above replies. It is an ongoung battle ... you can do it. Is there anyway you can reduce your resposibilities at home for a little while even just a week.

it is not easy ... I found spending time on SR chat ... especially when I would usually be drinking was / is a great tool in my ongoing sobriety.

I find i can do eceerything I used to do when I was drinking and soooooo much more ... and most of the time with minimal stress.

I am 8 months sober and I still have my moments.

Reach out ...ask for support .. try AA . SMART recovery , AVRT in particular helped me at wine 0'Clock...

Good Luck