Notices

Law Student Newly Turned Sober

Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Law Student Newly Turned Sober

Hi ya'll,
I recently made the decision I've always kind of toyed with to completely cut alcohol out of my life. I wouldn't consider myself addicted to alcohol per se, but I just have no turn off valve and am sick & tired of being misperceieved because of my lack of control when it comes to booze. I'm looking forward to sharing updates with you guys and hearing your stories as well!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR nlc

D
Old 04-13-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family. Looking forward to hearing more from you. We have some amazing people on this forum.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice job getting yourself here. Lots of questions and feedback on this site, it's helpful. Welcome.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Nlc! I wish I'd done what you're doing - many years ago. You'll never regret taking this step. We're glad you're here.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rocalot44

Hello. I've hardly used the internet for this type of communication or assistance but find I've grown weary of this monkey and need it pulled off of me. After 25 years of drinking , I am deciding to care about my destiny. However, don;t really know if this forum will benefit me. We will see....
Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Nlc. This is a great place for feedback and support. It's helped me immensely. Glad you are here.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rocalot44

Thank you. How do you think this forum has helped you--mind me asking.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rocalot44 View Post
Hello. I've hardly used the internet for this type of communication or assistance but find I've grown weary of this monkey and need it pulled off of me. After 25 years of drinking , I am deciding to care about my destiny. However, don;t really know if this forum will benefit me. We will see....
Welcome Rocalot44, this is a great place for support. I discovered SR after 30 days of sobriety on my own, and I didn't know what to expect. Now after 75 days of being sober, I am so glad to have found it. It's been helpful in that it's non-judgemental support by others who have gone or are going through the same thing. There's a great deal of wisdom shared on this forum. I hope it helps you as much as it's helped so many of us.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nlc12589 View Post
Hi ya'll,
I recently made the decision I've always kind of toyed with to completely cut alcohol out of my life. I wouldn't consider myself addicted to alcohol per se, but I just have no turn off valve and am sick & tired of being misperceieved because of my lack of control when it comes to booze. I'm looking forward to sharing updates with you guys and hearing your stories as well!
Hey nlc, I'm a lawyer of 6 years now and went through law school mostly drunk - wish I didn't and my grades and motivation certainly suffered - now would be a great time to shut it down. You won't regret it!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I see you're a law student. From experience I know that the law can be a rewarding profession but it can also be a very tough and demanding one. And it can become impossible if a person becomes addicted to alcohol. If you stop drinking you will find things infinitely easier for you and in today's very tough world, stand a chance of success. If you experience anxiety, turn yourself over to a good doctor who can help you with that. Let the doctor supervise the medication and don't try to use alcohol to medicate yourself. In the long run alcohol is a disaster as a medication.

W.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am a lawyer, I occasionally missed my off button when I was at university, when I got to law school I missed it more frequently. I suppose that I knew I had an issue when I left law school 20 years ago.
I defend criminals, that brings stresses with it. I also have underlying issues with anxiety, may be you do too?
I worked for 20years in a cycle of constant stress, giving 100% and medicating/de-stressing at the weekends, or during the evening with drink. Along the way I fouled up many times, but accumulated more responsibility and a growing back catalogue of misdemeanours, which added to my anxiety and other issues. I am very fortunate not to have ended up in trouble with police or doing serious harm to myself or others.
What I do know is that drink has masked a lot of stuff and caused me lot of grief. If you want to get into what I assume is a tough profession in your country (I am in the UK), don't think drink will be a good companion if you have a problem with it. Be honest with your self now, you will read at many points on this site( which has helped me a lot) that cycles of destructive drinking just get worse, mine did.
It is strange, but law school for many was the time at which they began to really abuse drink. I have several lawyer friends whose problems began then, though of course the underlying stuff was already in their make-up.
I am not sure that I am the one to say this, but I will say it anyway. If you have issues, get them sorted. Don't think drink will be the 'band-aid' through your professional life. Sobriety will aid judgement, it is difficult to make good/right decisions when you are remote through drink, or stressed and anxious. Find other methods now to find some form of release, funnily lots of lawyers love sport as well....good luck!