Notices

Today marks the beginning of a new me

Old 04-13-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today marks the beginning of a new me

Hello everyone! I'm new here and I am a 26 year old sales professional that has been battling alcoholism for the past 4-5 years. I've gone to outpatient treatment before, however I did not take it seriously... I did not work the program! I feel like I have hit my rock bottom as I have 2 previous OWI's (4 and 5 years ago), I'm starting to see the negative side effects of my alcoholism lately (decreasing kidney function shown on recent blood work), and I just recently lost my fiancee due to my alcoholism less than a month from our wedding. It's time for me to take this seriously and get myself healthy! I look forward to becoming active on this forum as another step to help with my sobriety. Unfortunately I am literally only on day 1...but I guess you have to start somewhere. Any suggestions are always welcome.

If there's anyone in my area that can recommend good meetings in Des Moines please feel free to PM me with suggestions.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lastchance! You're in the right place.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome lc, it sounds like the law of diminishing returns has kicked in with your drinking. I found this to be a great place with a ton of support and information. Also, as you recognize, "as journey of a million miles must start with a single step." Good luck and glad to have you here!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's right day one of the rest of your new life!!! U can do it. Let me know if I can help ok?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey I'm in the same boat. I proposed to my girlfriend of 7 years on Easter, she checked out that night, and we have barely talked since. Last week I finally came to the realization that my drinking had made me a monster that drove her away. Really sucks cause I love her soo much, but the alcohol had taken control long ago and did its damage. Sucks that it had to come to that but I finally accepted that I'm and alcoholic and I can't just have one like everyone else I know. And that if I don't do this it will kill me, and even worse I would be allowing it to kill me. The past few days have been the hardest of my life. I'm only a few days ahead of you but I'm here with you. We can do this. Be strong!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Welcome LC!
We r here 4 u & to support you thru our words of encouragement. I sincerely hope u have hit u're rock bottom becoz nthg changes if nthg changes...know what I mean? Even u're med report should serve as wake up call..mine was a 2nd dwi & I'm yet to face a judge but the good thing is joining AA changed EVTHG about me. I've never been happier, thot more clearly, cared about people when all I cared about was when I'll go to liquor store to refill my stock so I can cont "enjoying" myself(huh?? ya rite).
If you have smart phone, download an app called meeting finder & twill tell you the closest mtgs, keep u're sobriety date on notice & have daily meditation.
I want you to succeed in sobriety so make the necessary change you need