Notices

Im scared.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nanette

Angry Im scared.

Joining this is the first thing I have ever done to even acknowledge my problem. I recently was diagnosed with a medical condition because of alcohol and can you freaking believe I still want to drink. What is wrong with me? Its not rocket science. Why isnt my health more important than my whiskey?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Because you have an alcohol problem. And it trumps everything else until we are ready to surrender and accept it. Oh, and when we realize we deserve a life just like everyone else.

It isn't easy, and we are all scared of it, but loads of us are doing it. Join us! We are here all the time when you need us...SR never closes!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

'Cause your brain is wired for addiction. Sorry.

Welcome to the lifeboat.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My best to you. You will find a lot of help here. It helps me in recovery by helping others. Already today by replying to your post you helped me. It's the crux of recovery, one alcoholic helping another alcoholic to achieve sobriety.

Hope you take care of yourself medically.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

please --- keep coming back here

Originally Posted by Nanette View Post

I recently was diagnosed with a medical condition because of alcohol and can you freaking believe I still want to drink.

Why isnt my health more important than my whiskey?
some of us no matter what we are told by a doctor
will still end up drinking ourselves to death
please
keep coming back here
and
learn more about sobriety

onehigherpower
Old 04-13-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Classic alcoholic thought pattern... 'I will loose everything if I drink alcohol...mmm that's depressing, I need a drink'.

You have an alcoholic mind. It's an issue that needs addressing, because it's a very serious problem. In every sense of the word it's a form of insanity. However, the really good news is that it's completely manageable (though not curable).

This is a very good place to start your recovery. Jump in the lifeboat, and never get out of the boat.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Joining this is the first thing I have ever done to even acknowledge my problem. I recently was diagnosed with a medical condition because of alcohol and can you freaking believe I still want to drink. What is wrong with me? Its not rocket science. Why isnt my health more important than my whiskey?
it's interesting that there are so many people from the “TOP” of society, corporate, entertainment and government to the uneducated are people who cannot drink in safety, one minute at a time. Many years ago I found that AA helped even those that resisted including myself and I'm no rocket scientist by far, just another bozo on the bus. BE WELL
Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Welcome Nanette,
You've acknowledged by joining us that you have a problem. We are here to talk about the solutions. You're body is still desiring the alc even tho you're brain says its insane to keep doing the same thing coz that's whats it been used to for however long you've been drinking . You have to make a decision whether you want to "dry out" in treatment facility or on your own. If by yourself brace for temp changes, possible diarrhea, insomnia etc. I went thru all that & I'm glad I did so when this disease lies to me that I should go get a bottle of Beam to "make me feel better", I can confidently say no thx! Next, join an AA group near you & go to as many meetings as you can coz sitting @ home idly feeling sorry for yourself will take you right back. Get a sponsor & work the steps. It is possible to regain you're sanity & life again once you surrender & say that you're powerless over alc & you're life has become unmanageable
Best wishes
Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Nanette. Just beginning the dialogue is a great step. I've found it to be incredibly helpful in my road to sobriety. Stay tuned in here, you have lots of support.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-13-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Nanette

I think fear can be a powerful motivator - and sadly sometimes that motivation is negative...

whatever the medical problem is, I'm sure your best chance for a full recovery lies in staying sober - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 04-13-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You drink despite the consequences because you are addicted to it. But you can become unaddicted. Stick around here and read and post. We'll give you all the support we can.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Nanette! You're just like the rest of us. I kept drinking long after I knew it was dangerous. Hopefully, you'll find SR to be a supportive and helpful place. We all understand what you're going through.

Happy to have you here You can do this, Nanette.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

my dad binges until he has a heart attack, he's had three and two bypass surgeries. if he has even one drink. he'll binge again. so he tries hard never to have one.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nanette

Wow.. who knew just saying something would elicit such feedback...thanks to everyone. You all have enlightened me. I will stay on SR.

Fight the good fight every moment, every minute, every day. Fight the good fight every moment. It's your only way! >>>>> Triumph
Old 04-13-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The more you learn about alcoholism and quitting, the easier it is and the higher your chances of being successful. Read up and learn as much as you can. It helps to know what to expect when quitting, what others have gone through, and what they did to be successful in recovery.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Fight the good fight every moment, every minute, every day. Fight the good fight every moment. It's your only way! >>>>> Triumph
Or if you are an alcoholic like me all the fighting in the world won't help.

I had to surrender and join AA. AA has kept me sober and sane for nearly 24 yrs.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-13-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
The more you learn about alcoholism and quitting, the easier it is and the higher your chances of being successful. Read up and learn as much as you can. It helps to know what to expect when quitting, what others have gone through, and what they did to be successful in recovery.
What suprises me, is how many people have the exact same story, exact same feelings, cravings, make the exact same excuses, etc as I do.
It really helped me realize that my problem isn't unique to me. Many people have gone through it, and many have come out on top, and many have not. But by learning and sharing with people who have similar experiences, I feel more positive every day.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Nanette

thank you .... I have always said "knowledge is Power" you just reiterated it..TY Ill take my own advice at your recommendation :-)
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Nanette

I suppose even in AA you have to fight!?
(yourself?)