Notices

Where is my discipline???

Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where is my discipline???

I "quit" for over 30 days. Part of the Jan 2013 class.

Then, 2 beers superbowl (world record for me!), then a few again, etc etc...

Now, every night drinking except for maybe two. Not to the extent as before, but I suck.

Where is my discipline??

Old thoughts are creeping back. Not as bad as before, but I can feel them. It is like watching storm clouds on the horizon..

9yg
Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im not sure if this is about discipline. I tried to have discipline when I told myself I would only have two. It then slowly but surely turned into a nightly intoxicated event. I think this is about the progressive nature of Alcoholism. I had to throw in the towel. It beat me every time.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of people focus on discipline and willpower.

For me a lot of my will wanted to drink, and I went to extraordinary, even disciplined, lengths to do that.

Acceptance worked a lot better for me.

I figured I could have the kind of life I wanted and be the kind of person I wanted to be...or I could drink.

I couldn't do both, and I needed to accept that.

D
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Hi 9 years. Acceptance seems to be my key too.

I had and have plenty discipline but it turned out to only be useful when I used the discipline to keep searching for anything that will help me stay sober. I have kept on that discipline of finding and using different tools people say worked for them and I have not had a drink or drug in over four months...

Also, thanks for that signature! I hadnt heard that song in so long I just went and listened to it 2 times... Still beautiful as ever.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're not alone. Discipline has little to do with the problem drinker, once we take that first drink it all goes out the window. But, it went out the window with afore thought that we could have one or two.
Willpower is similar. It's not a lack of it, but no control over it.

You're not alone all discipline and willpower I could muster never stopped me from drinking. Have you tried a program of recovery? Being around others who share a mutual problem can work wonders.
Don't be too hard on yourself. I tried for many years to quit drinking, and found I couldn't do it on my own. It took a willingness to quit and see how other alcoholics did it.

Keep at it, and best to you
Old 04-13-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unfortunately discipline and willpower will do you very little good with regards to alcohol consumption, if you are an alcoholic. It may serve you long enough to seek proper help. But on its own it will not last long term. Or at least that has been my experience.

We are powerless over alcohol.