Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

So I started drinking raw, unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar for health reasons

Notices

So I started drinking raw, unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar for health reasons

Old 04-12-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

and this stuff is nasty. I mix it with water and it's still a bit nasty - like drinking acidic vomit. Anyway, I couldn't quite pin down what the taste reminded me of for two days and then I realized - it's like taking gulps of red wine. that same feeling in my mouth too. I guess about 4 months of no alcohol made me sort of forget that taste. As for the ACV, I feel great. I think it's a great thing to take, but if wine is your thing, be aware that it could potentially be a trigger.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you mean apple cider vinegar? I take that and it's very good. It tastes weird but it's meant to be very good for you. I've also got into taking raw organic coconut oil. Years of drinking has left me chronically dehydrated and, apparently, you need essential fats in order to absorb water effectively.

I do hold my nose when drinking the ACV, though!

S x
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Vinegar is the next step in the fermentation process after alcohol.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I grew up in Indiana where we have tons of apple orchards. I've been drinking raw apple cider for 40+ years. It never tasted anything like what you described to me. Damn I want me some now though.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Well I never! Now that you come to mention it, off wine tastes (tasted) like vinegar!

Grateful I don't drink alcohol anymore.

S x
Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So should we be worried about consuming vinegar? I use it to make salad dressings and some of my recipes call for balsamic vinegar. I do not cook with wine or any other alcohol.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Only if you feel the need to buy a twelve pack after eating your salad.

Only half-way kidding. Wine, when it goes bad, turns into vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is the next step from apple juice to apple cider to...

White vinegar is an industrial by-product and should only be used for cleaning windows.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

some people may want to avoid apple cider vinegar because it's a trigger fort them and some may not feel that way. there are no hard and fast rules. everyone is different. it doesn't bother me, personally, but I'm not going to recommend it as people will have to decide for themselves.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
I grew up in Indiana where we have tons of apple orchards. I've been drinking raw apple cider for 40+ years. It never tasted anything like what you described to me. Damn I want me some now though.

yeah, the apple cider ferments into wine eventually and then that ferments to vinegar. the taste of cider is a remnant of the taste of vinegar but they are different chemicals entirely.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You guys are weird but I like it!!!! Now I have to try ACV lol

Where a health store?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Really? By the way GD ur awesome!! Love ur posts always!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

near me any supermarket sells apple cider viniegar. to get the supposed health benefits you have to buy unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar because it contains this stuff called the mother, which is a bacteria/cellulose substance that checmically helps form the vinegar. or something along those lines. people say it helps with a variety of ailments and is generally a very healthy thing. some people swear by it as a miraculous preventer of disease and detoxifying agent. I'm always into trying natural things like that.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

BAD THOUGHT. BAD THOUGHT.

THere's an orchard in north Georgia that makes hard cider that is to die for.

BAD THOUGHT!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
now's the time

My roommate is an ACV guy. I've been meaning to give it a try as I love natural health stuff too. When you say "I feel great" taking it, what do you mean?
Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Long ago in the days of Dr. Atkins....acv was taken on his low carb diet to help you lose weight. It is also available in capsule form in the vitamin section. I also remember reading somewhere that Joan Crawford (mommydearest), drank a shot of it before every meal.
No thanks, i have enough trouble with acid reflux, i'll skip it. I hope you don't upset the natural alkaline/acid balance in your body.
I use both balsamic/ red wine vinegar all the time...my red wine never hung around long enough to turn.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I belong to several Newfoundland (dog) forums and they recommend apple cider vinegar as a rinse after bathing, as it's apparently very good for their skin and coat.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
I belong to several Newfoundland (dog) forums and they recommend apple cider vinegar as a rinse after bathing, as it's apparently very good for their skin and coat.
I have heard that too. I have really sensitive skin, in the winter time here it gets really itchy. I have tried a million things and would try anything to help it. I read about apple cider vinegar and took a bath or two with that stuff a few years ago. It may or may not have soothed my skin - is this a proven thing or is this just another homeopathic 'cure'? I only ask because after taking a few vinegar baths I went to a dermatologist, and got some prescription ointment - skin cleared up in no time! Science 1, ACV 0!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
My roommate is an ACV guy. I've been meaning to give it a try as I love natural health stuff too. When you say "I feel great" taking it, what do you mean?

well, I didn't really have noticeable stomach problems before, but now my stonach feels 'good' - it's hard to describe. It went from really not having stomach issues to actually enjoying the way my stonach feels. I know that must sound weird but it's a hard thing to describe. I have also been getting hungry less often and it seems to have minimized my sugar cravings. I've only been taking it for several days though.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
is this just another homeopathic 'cure'?

well, it wouldn't be homeopathy as that refers to something specific that many consider a quack science.

Homeopathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

whether ACV soothes the skin would simply be a natural remedy and would probably be effective or not on a case by case basis. have you tried shea butter? It works wonders for my skin issues.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think the ACV is pretty much proven for dogs. It must change the skin ph , that lead to hot spots....not sure why it helps their coats, but I trust the folks who say it does.