Notices

I know I can't have just one, but why do I still try?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know I can't have just one, but why do I still try?

Last night I did something stupid. My brother in law had stayed over at our house the night before and had left a bottle with a a few shots of whiskey in it. I looked at the bottle, determined I was having a bad day, and drank the few shots that were in there. I thought since there was only a little in there, I'd just have the couple of shots and call it good.

DID NOT WORK OUT THAT WAY, I took the shots, got the craziest obsessive urge to go get more liquor. Went to the store, bought a pint of cheapy whiskey, and downed it in about 4 hours.

Unreal, I don't even remember why I took the shots in the first place. I just remember thinking that its safe, because I don't feel like leaving the house, and there are only a few shots left in the bottle, and other than a couple of slip ups, I haven't been drinking for 3 weeks.

Is there a reason that we keep trying to have just one or two, even though we know that we won't stop there?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dib,

of course human beings want more of what makes them feel good, and when I say good, I mean initially, as that feeling doesn't last for long does it...but by the time you realise it is too late.

It's like chocoholics - they sometimes eat tons and tons of chocolate until they are physically sick.

Addiction is a difficult but not impossible thing to conquer.

I am sure you will get there in time.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I'm honest with myself I always realize that I don't want just one or two. I want to get drunk.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Your brain is wired for addiction satisfaction. One drink triggers another and another and another.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The part that frustrates me, is that I know that one drink will make me want to drink another. But I still periodically try to have just one or two... Its like I know that I have this addiction, but for some reason I have to keep testing it.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just thought of this after post that last statement.

Perhaps subconciously I know I'm going to fail, and if I try and fail, I'll get wicked drunk, which gives my addiction what it wants...

I don't know... I'm so annoyed with myself and it right now.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

one is just one too many

Originally Posted by Dib42 View Post

DID NOT WORK OUT THAT WAY, I took the shots, got the craziest obsessive urge to go get more liquor. Went to the store, bought a pint of cheapy whiskey, and downed it in about 4 hours.
a very common story told above
I went to that same place so many times
many of my friends who were sober returned to the drink as I did
only to be found dead
yes it truly can happen if one is alcoholic such as me
sometimes that is exactly what it takes
returning to the bottle over and over again
until finally we realize
one is just one too many

good luck
from
onehigherpower
Old 04-12-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Sorry you are struggling dib.

It helped me to accept that it was the first drink that did the damage,once I had one all bets were off as to what would happen.

When I thought I was only giving up one drink it became easier,I had never drank just one,I didnt see the point.

Stick with it,you will get there. I wish you well.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Last night I did something stupid. My brother in law had stayed over at our house the night before and had left a bottle with a a few shots of whiskey in it. I looked at the bottle, determined I was having a bad day, and drank the few shots that were in there. I thought since there was only a little in there, I'd just have the couple of shots and call it good.

Unreal, I don't even remember why I took the shots in the first place. I just remember thinking that its safe, because I don't feel like leaving the house, and there are only a few shots left in the bottle, and other than a couple of slip ups, I haven't been drinking for 3 weeks.

Is there a reason that we keep trying to have just one or two, even though we know that we won't stop there?

Dib you can start over, the 1st day is not the most pleasant one, but it will be over soon, tomorrow will be better and after tomorrow will be even better. If you did it for 3 weeks you can do it again.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
All is Change

Yes, there is a reason : Alcoholism. K.I.S.S.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCMalta View Post
Dib you can start over, the 1st day is not the most pleasant one, but it will be over soon, tomorrow will be better and after tomorrow will be even better. If you did it for 3 weeks you can do it again.
I was getting to the point where it was getting a lot easier to not drink. I was improving physically and mentally, and overall fealt really good. I didn't want to mess that up, but did anyway.

My view of alcohol is definately changing, At first I was sad I was giving it up, but was resigned to the fact that I can't drink like normal people. Now I despise the stuff, I don't miss it, I don't want to drink even just one, I hate alcohol, I hate being drunk, I hate the hangover, I hate the feeling of wanting more... I hate nearly everything about it.

But . . . for some reason . . . I still tried to have "just a couple."

I didn't even think I wanted to have any.... it was just there, and looked safe, so I took it.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
Yes, there is a reason : Alcoholism. K.I.S.S.
This is true...
Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There are many many isms but in reality, it's just an addiction Dib, like many many others out there - you can "break the mould".
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"When I look back at my 13 years of sobriety followed by my eight year relapse, I often wonder why it took me so long to stop considering that EVERY time I drank it got worse. During my relapse stage I crashed my car, had multiple hospital visits, got divorced, and started thinking about suicide. And I kept drinking. Why? Because I am an alcoholic...a really really good alcoholic. If you are lucky and keep breathing, you will some day realize that you need to stop drinking. Alcoholics CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT control their drinking and have "a couple". I hope you never have to have "a couple" again.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sorry your struggling Dibs, I did the revolving door, I've had long periods of sobriety (2 years and 18 months respectively), then thought I could moderate.

This time (going on 6 months sober), I have come to a very simple conclusion to a very complex problem - I can never drink again. For me, the only reason I drank was to medicate, no other reason.

I'm going to a fancy dinner tonight for a group my sister-in-law belongs to. The beer will be flowing like wine (to steal a line from "Dumb and Dumber"), but I know I can't have any, and I'm ok with that. I'm going to eat some good food and dance badly with my wife, and wake up tomorrow morning satisfied!

BTW, I only know a few people who drink "normally". I would say the majority of people I know drink to get drunk, not to enjoy a beer or glass of wine with dinner.

Hang in there, your going to have to tell your AV (alcoholic voice) goodbye.

Toss
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You have pretty much perfectly described the state of insanity which occurs in an alcoholics mind before taking the first drink. I say insanity because when analyzed in the cold light of day that is exactly what it is. It's common to us all I'm afraid. It's part of the alcoholic character. The trick is never to be fooled in to thinking that we can have a drink safely. To fully accept that we are not like other people with regards to alcohol.

It has taken me many years of experimenting with alcohol to finally realize this simple fact. And I hope that I never forget it again.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I knew I was an alcoholic when I simply kept drinking despite the consequences. If a person did to me what alcohol did I would've kicked them out of my life long ago! But I'm an alcoholic & it's my nature to drink. Until I found a program that helps me to stay sober, accepted I was truly powerless & quite simply, just had enough.

I don't want one or two, I want the whole bottle. Therefore, it's best to stay away completely.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You will continue to drink because drinking is still an option at this point. When you want to be sober more than you want to drink then you'll stay sober, at least, that's how it was for me.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My reason was that I'm an Alcoholic and that's the way it works on me. It's also cunning, baffling and insidious. That's quite a bit working against us when we are new and struggling. BE WELL
Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

I kept trying because when it came to me, I made sure to manipulate things so I always got what I wanted, especially when drinking!