Notices

Drinking dreams

Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams

I wanted to mention in the AA meeting tonight that I have been having a lot of drinking dreams the past couple of weeks but I forgot so I am sharing here. Last night it was so real that I woke up truly thinking I had relapsed. It was an awful feeling I can't even put into words. I have had an emotional couple of weeks and have had thoughts about a drink here and there but no real obsession. A couple of people I know went back out and I am wondering if this sparked the occurence. My logical mind tells me not to be worried about this or read too much into it but it worries me anyway. I think tonight I'll ask God to have dreams He thinks are best for me. I ask for help in waking life so why not right?
Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I can relate as a dreamer...

I have had one dream of drinking that was pretty intense. It was on a Friday night after I was hit with some pretty strong cravings (about one week sober). I woke up thinking I had lapsed for sure. It wasn't fun.

Those were followed by dreams of me turning down drinks (unheard of before I quit). Those dreams made me feel good. Those came after a few weeks.

A little while after that I had a dream of walking out of a dark area in to a sunny forest where my ideal self (i guess) was standing with a big smile. He (I) had clean teeth, combed hair, and nice ironed clothes. As a drinker I didn't have any of the above, usually. But anyway, I said "hey buddy, it's been awhile." And still smiling my other cleaner self said "I knew you'd find your way out sooner or later." Then we walked away together. I woke up and started crying.

Good times.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that Garen, that dream of your ideal self gave me goosebumps! I really do love being sober and I am not planning on giving up. My dreams have always been pretty vivid (drinking or not) so guess this is just par for the course now that I quit. I have also had dreams of turning down drinks and yes, that does feel good