Blogs

Notices

Binge drinker who really wants to quit

Old 04-27-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Sideview. Fellow Dubliner here. Sober now about 2 months, it sure is a struggle! (mine was most nights bottle of wine or more). I joined Face to Face group and find it a great support. It was hard to do so at first, but could not do without that support and this SR site. Best wishes, routing for ya.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tammy47 For This Useful Post:
sideview (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tammy47 View Post
Hi Sideview. Fellow Dubliner here. Sober now about 2 months, it sure is a struggle! (mine was most nights bottle of wine or more). I joined Face to Face group and find it a great support. It was hard to do so at first, but could not do without that support and this SR site. Best wishes, routing for ya.
Thanks Tammy. Good on you. Two months is a great achievement.
Yeah, I was hoping I wouldn't need to join a face to face group but I guess
I should try and get all the support possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to sideview For This Useful Post:
Tammy47 (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi sideview. This is my first time on the forum and nice to read your threads as you sound similar to me. I have been a binge drinker for about 15 years since my teens and spent the last 5 years trying to drink in moderation and then beating myself up for slipping up and ending up trashed. Its hard because as a binge drinker other people try and convince you its OK, and you can get encouraged by other people who see you as a party person. Being completely sober is the only way to stop that 'slippery slope' and after 4 months I love the relief of knowing I will never have to face a shameful episode again. Keep going - you CAN do it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toomuchtoolose For This Useful Post:
joygirl (04-27-2013), sideview (04-27-2013), sunshinestill (05-02-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks toomuchtoolose. You've summed it up perfectly. Well done on being four months sober. It's a great achievement. Yeah I think most people would just look at me as being
a normal drinker who likes having a good night out. I know it is more than that to me and that I drink too much, way too regularly. I felt great relief the few weeks I wasn't drinking and much clearer in my head. I'm looking forward to that feeling returning again.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good for you. I met a good friend for lunch today who said they were disappointed that I was 'still going' with this giving up drink thing and said that I was being too hard on myself for the 'stupid things' I have done while I'm drunk. The thing is its 'funny' for others to watch you being a wreck but its you who feels the shame, self loathing and damage from doing it. You have to put yourself first. Your the only one who truely knows whats best for you x
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toomuchtoolose For This Useful Post:
joygirl (04-27-2013), Tammy47 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Living one day at a time

me too

I am also a binge drinker..everytime I drink I can't stop..my last binge was last night...I truly believed I was overdosing...the depression broken relationships and isolation is killing me...I'm hoping I can get the help I need...sober friends and a new life
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cutie For This Useful Post:
joygirl (04-27-2013), sideview (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, Cutie, you just got started with the help you need by posting here. Keep reading and posting. It has helped me tremendously.
You can do if you're ready!
The Following User Says Thank You to joygirl For This Useful Post:
cutie (04-27-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Cutie. I'm relatively new here but
Find the people very insightful and positive.
It might be a good idea to start your own thread introducing
yourself. It is a great first step to acknowledge
you have a problem and start doing something
about it.
cutie (04-27-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just wanted to check in again. I'm on Day 2 after drinking on Friday night. Still feel tired and with no great motivation to do stuff. Gonna try and go out for a short cycle now. Feel disappointed in myself that I drank and can't believe I managed to justify it to myself on Friday evening.
It will be a hard road ahead but when I read some of the stories on here I realise others are recovering from being in a much worse place than me. That is motivation that I can do it too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sideview For This Useful Post:
joygirl (04-28-2013), Tammy47 (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
oak

A Belated Welcome!

I am glad you posted again. I am impressed that even after drinking again, you are here and committed to sobriety again. It can be hard at times. It does get easier.

I also had happy memories that involved alcohol. But like you said, the happy part was who I was with or the activity. I am shy too so related to what you wrote earlier about using alcohol to feel less shy. But there have to be better ways than poisoning ourselves.

I hope you keep posting!
The Following User Says Thank You to oak For This Useful Post:
sideview (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey All,

Binging has been a demon in my life for some time now. I had 6 months sober time before my last binge, almost two months before this one and last week, even though I felt fine, I also justified that just one or two would be fine. Well, over a course of 4 days or so, that one turned into enough to blackout every night. My last drink was Thursday night and the past few days had been hell but today I feel great. If I can do it, so can all of you! Keep looking at the horizon and not at your feet, take it one day at a time, and we will all persevere! Talk to your friends, take walks, and most of all dont be ashamed. We took a fall and now its time to get up and dust ourselves of and move forward. Depression lies in the past and anxiety in the future, live for yourself today, you WILL overcome. Bless you all and best wishes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tellnotales For This Useful Post:
joygirl (04-29-2013), sideview (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Oak for the words of encouragement and it is comforting to know that others have the same issues and used alcohol for the same reasons. I intend to keep posting.
Tellnotales. Thank you for the positive post also.
You're right there is no point in mulling over my relapse. I went out for a cycle and am feeling more positive now. I guess we are both starting fresh again so let's pledge to stay sober and embrace life and all it has to offer.
joygirl (04-29-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Right on sideview, stay strong and I will too. We can beat this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tellnotales For This Useful Post:
joygirl (04-29-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi people,
I too have a binge drinking problem. I don't drink regularly, but when I drink at parties, I don't know when/how to stop. Once I've had a few drinks, I don't seem to realize that I could stop there and that I would have a much more enjoyable night if I did. Instead, I'll toss back my next drink in two gulps and then reach for another. I'm certainly not enjoying them at that point, but I can't seem to stop.

This doesn't happen every time I drink, but the 1/5 times that it does are so bad that it makes me think that drinking at all isn't worth the risk. I've had many "black-outs" and "brown-outs" from drinking and embarrassed myself countless times. Logically, it just isn't worth the risk, but my memory is scarily short-lived once I'm in a social setting where there's alcohol.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

"I'll toss back my next drink in two gulps and then reach for another. I'm certainly not enjoying them at that point, but I can't seem to stop."

Hi Sunshine, thanks for sharing your story. I'd be very similar in that. Once I cross a certain point, it is just automatic drinking for me. Once I'm even near the end of a drink I'm making sure that there is another one ready to hand. Then the depression and regret last a few days afterwards.
I wish you all the best.