Notices

How to help someone else

Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to help someone else

My sis-in law wants me to talk to her daughter (27) abiout her drinking. I had no idea but I guess she thinks she is an alcoholic and talked to her mom about it. She wants to talk with me.

It is a good feeling to know that i can be there to help someone, but other than here on SR, this is the first time anyone has really asked me for help or advice, and I am a little nervous. Afraid of saying the wrong thing, saying too much, or not saying enough.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sure just being there to listen as someone who understands will be a massive help to her. Just share your experience x
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I am sure just being there to listen as someone who understands will be a massive help to her. Just share your experience x
Your so right. There I go again trying to plan everything and make it perfect. When is all I have to do is listen and share my experience. Thanks Hypo.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would also recommend SR to her. We all know how helpful this website is. Glad to hear you have the opportunity to share your experience with someone else.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are a few things i learned from my sponsor about this. she taught me to take "you should" and "you need to" out of my vocabulary. also, as stated to just listen and share. i understand what you are saying though, it's a mixed feeling, to be approached for help, and being uncertain about what to say/do. i dont know if you are a spiritual person but i count on God to give me the right words at the right time. Best wishes to you.