SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   reflecting on day 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/290720-reflecting-day-2-a.html)

Garden Girl 04-09-2013 09:10 PM

reflecting on day 2

I get on SR everyday and read. Today, I was reading one of the many stories of struggle and hope... This one was someone's 2nd day sober. In her story there was the loneliness of having pushed everyone away. She was there alone and came here for a last resort of support.. Hell, my entire adult life I have been moving to escape the burned bridges, loneliness, and humiliation of being me, trying to find that fresh start with those same pesky habits. When I made my move here to Oklahoma, I had no furniture.... I didn't ever get furniture for 6 months. I drank alone, a lot everyday, so much I didn't realize I was alone in an empty house with just my bottles of wine... Half empty. I never gave up hope, although it was hidden inside of me way deep down. It was actually hope I had forgotten about, the hope that got lost under hangovers and shame. But for 9 months I have found and held onto that hope, and I will continue to stand tall with each one of you, and if one of us may stumble and fall, know that we are here to help you up, no matter how alone you may feel. I remember that loneliness, and I know once you get through day two, you are well on your way through day 3... And I am only a message away if you ever need a friend.

Grymt 04-10-2013 07:07 AM

How did you come to remember the hope?

ddrayer 04-10-2013 07:42 AM

Karissaleigh your post struck a chord. I remember living in one step up from a crack shack, I had a horrible urine soaked mattress and a broken breakfast table as my only furniture. I would come home to piles of empty bottles and can, with literally nothing to hold on to but endless cycle of "self medication." Starting to see hope has been one of the biggest things for me in this struggle. It has completely changed my outlook and now even if I slip just a little bit of mess around the house drives me up a wall! Its amazing how these things go hand in hand. Thanks for sharing.

Pledge4life 04-10-2013 07:49 AM

Thanks for your message Kari. Just trying to get through the days (or I should say nights). It's hard when those around you still drink on occasion and its nice to know that you are only a message away!

Garden Girl 04-10-2013 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Grymt (Post 3909306)
How did you come to remember the hope?

I had known I was an alcoholic for years, and I allowed others to tell me I was ok. It was here I met my fiancé, who is also a recovering alcoholic. He LISTENED to me, he never mad excuses for me, and supported my sobriety. We have been together a little over a year. I don't hold in emotions and let it build up inside. I talk when something is bothering me, eventually I get through the hard times, and above all I remember 2 very important things: 1. I am relearning life sober, all the things I am dealing with now I actually dealing with them, not creating a pile under a rug. I pat myself on the back for that. 2. For every bad day, a good day is only a couple days away, and without drinking bad days stay days not weeks :) thanks for caring enough to post!

Garden Girl 04-10-2013 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Pledge4life (Post 3909381)
Thanks for your message Kari. Just trying to get through the days (or I should say nights). It's hard when those around you still drink on occasion and its nice to know that you are only a message away!

Always!!!

Garden Girl 04-10-2013 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ddrayer (Post 3909368)
Karissaleigh your post struck a chord. I remember living in one step up from a crack shack, I had a horrible urine soaked mattress and a broken breakfast table as my only furniture. I would come home to piles of empty bottles and can, with literally nothing to hold on to but endless cycle of "self medication." Starting to see hope has been one of the biggest things for me in this struggle. It has completely changed my outlook and now even if I slip just a little bit of mess around the house drives me up a wall! Its amazing how these things go hand in hand. Thanks for sharing.

I can identify with you whole heartedly. Thank you for sharing a little about you. We are all pieces of this sobriety quilt whose stories need to be shared. These stories give me so much strength and hope