SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Getting sober…again (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/290687-getting-sober-again.html)

BigTeddy 04-09-2013 04:31 PM

Getting sober…again

Hi guys, last October I decided to stop drinking. I was able to stop cold turkey and told most of the people I hung around that I wouldn't be drinking anymore. I stayed sober for just over two months and then, for reasons I'm not even sure of at this point, started drinking again. Not much at first, but it quickly escalated. The past month has been pretty bad, with several blackouts (waking up not knowing where I am), and I've taken a few pretty nasty spills.

I'm going to get sober!!! I have looked up several AA meetings in my area, but I've never been to one and am scared to death. I haven't had a drink since about 5 am Sunday morning.

Anna 04-09-2013 04:36 PM

It might be helpful to figure out the reasons why you started drinking again. Make the changes in your life you need to, so that doesn't happen again.

I'm really glad you're back. :)

Delilah1 04-09-2013 04:38 PM

Hi Teddy,

I stopped in October as well and started drinking again after three months. It started out with one glass and then led to more. I am back again and trying out some different supports.

Glad to be on this journey with you.
:)

bloss 04-09-2013 04:42 PM

Welcome back Teddy, glad you are trying again, one day at a time. It took me a long time to realize the first drink was my problem, since I never stopped at one. Take care

BigTeddy 04-09-2013 04:45 PM

There were a couple of things that could have triggered the relapse. The main thing was I lost a very dear friend in early December and had been struggling with that. This was also the time that a relationship with a woman that I knew deep down wasn't good for me finally ended.

BigTeddy 04-09-2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by bloss (Post 3908346)
Welcome back Teddy, glad you are trying again, one day at a time. It took me a long time to realize the first drink was my problem, since I never stopped at one. Take care

That is my problem as well. I always envy my friends that can have a couple of drinks, then just stop and go home. If I have one drink I'm going to have ten.

DG0409 04-09-2013 05:06 PM

I've never been to an AA meeting either, but I bet you'll be just fine. They probably won't bite you or anything.

SoberJohn 04-09-2013 05:27 PM

I have quit the same way with 2 or 3 months of sobriety and I fell off the wagon. I think mine slip has always been complacency and I forget why I quit in the first place. Good on you for coming back and trying again.

BigTeddy 04-09-2013 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by DG0409 (Post 3908387)
I've never been to an AA meeting either, but I bet you'll be just fine. They probably won't bite you or anything.

Yeah I know. I just get anxious about being in new situations or around new people.

Hollyanne 04-09-2013 05:50 PM

Ok, will one of you tech savvy people link them up with
"what to expect at your first AA meeting".
Go to Alcoholics 12 step forum and look at the stickies.

soberclover 04-09-2013 06:32 PM

I get the anxiety thing too...I used to think the drink made it easier but I was like you and unable to stop and experienced blackouts too. I'm glad that you've figured out that you need to stop! Keep posting!

silentrun 04-09-2013 06:55 PM

It seems a lot of SR posters have trouble around the 2/3 month mark and again at 7 months. I had a trance-like craving come out of nowhere today at my 2 month today. Why is that?

Dee74 04-09-2013 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hollyanne (Post 3908462)
Ok, will one of you tech savvy people link them up with
"what to expect at your first AA meeting".
Go to Alcoholics 12 step forum and look at the stickies.

dunno if I'm tech savvy but..... :)

Your First AA Meeting<

let us know how you get on Teddy :)
D

BigTeddy 04-09-2013 07:55 PM

Thanks Dee. That was helpful info. There's a meeting on Thursday that I'm going to attend.

BigTeddy 04-13-2013 05:30 PM

Went to a cookout this afternoon at a friends house. I enjoyed the food and company, but none of the alcohol. I left early and now I'm home and about to enjoy a movie and a diet ginger ale. This will be the first Sunday in several months that I won't be waking up with a wicked hangover and I'm looking forward to it. Hope everyone has a great night!

Pondlady 04-13-2013 05:33 PM

Good for you! You'll feel great tomorrow morning:)

Hevyn 04-13-2013 06:00 PM

It's wonderful that you're free of it once again, BigTeddy. Good job. You don't need that stuff. :)