Notices

Day 7 again

Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 again

Well, my day 7 is drawing to a close and I'm celebrating with a nice early night (9.30 in the UK).

I had 3 weeks, then slipped and had 2 weeks, then slipped again. Both slips were from sudden stress, to which i responded with good old alcohol-as-crutch as I'd been doing for years, often with long periods of sobriety in between. This week Ive been hugely busy but made a real effort towards reading around SR more and paying more attention to moods and reactions. There is much helpful info on this site. Whatever I've taken on board directly and/or absorbed by osmosis has stopped me worrying unnecessarily about possible future events, and enabled me to sit firmly in the present. I've been feeling a lot more trust in my own decisions, more respect. THIS time I haven't felt euphoric, I've just felt stable and comfortable. It feels different this time. Like I'm in it for the long haul. has anyone else had that "different" feeling?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Snowie

good for you - I think there's a real difference between what I used to do - hoping I stay sober - and what I do know, which is being proactive and making sure I do.

Sounds to me like you're getting that too

D
Old 04-09-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember the first few times I did periods of not drinking.
A week, a month.

I used to feel euphoric that I had gone 'so long' without a drink.
A bit like how you are feeling.

However, when I finally decided I was done with drinking, I was calmer, felt more positive that it was the right thing to do. Almost like I understood what here was all about, why people got sober and why it was going to be good for me.
So in answer to your question ' yes I have had that different feeling' and its been this time with that feeling that I have been most successful.

I too learnt ways to 'manage myself' when I was stressed or down.

A lot of it related to the HALT acronym.
I never let myself get too
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired.

And it does work!

My best to you
Old 04-10-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Sasha4. Not feeling "too" pleased with myself about having a certain number of days under my belt seems to work for me.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I start getting too ahead of myself with counting the days, I remind myself that a very large significant amount of the worlds population actually do manage to go a few days without a drink!!!

Just stops me getting carried away that I am some sober warrior when actually most people do without booze everyday and they don't feel the need to celebrate every time they do 24 hours!

Best to you
XXXX
Old 04-11-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on your 7 days x

I remember counting days in the beginning. I was surprised when I managed a whole week comparatively easily, but Friday nights and stressful days, well they took me a little (a lot) longer to get over.

Stress can still be a trigger, especially when I'm not prepared for it. Friday nights, well they no longer pose any problem to me, and I thought that would be plain IMPOSSIBLE!!.

Identifying what sets off those feelings can be a huge help to us. I often write stuff down when things start going a little 'off-course' for me. Oh, and I post and reach out to my friends here and in AA.

Stay close. You can do this x
Old 04-11-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Jen, I'm actually journaling away like a woman possessed every day. I feel like quitting alcohol has given me a big confidence boost as I respect myself and the decisions I'm making, rather than wasting time battling hangovers. So im jotting down how ive done things differently when i do them. I wasn't even that crazy (I have 2 young children and hardly have a night out), haven't done anything truly embarrassing for years, but alcohol was such a default thing and the volume i could drink was increasing. I'm excited about how life can be without booze in it!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Journaling is such a good idea, I wish I'd done it every day and not just during tough times. I sometimes read through my early posts though. They make such interesting reading and remind me of how far I've come.

Remember it's ok to feel sad or anxious, just don't drink on them. They will pass x