SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 1 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/290662-day-1-a.html)

PeppyGirl 04-09-2013 12:51 PM

Day 1

Hi everyone,

I have been reading these posts over the past several months but this is my first time posting. A little about me: I am a 30-something stay at home mom to 4 kids. Before I stayed home I earned a Master's Degree and had a professional career. Alcohol was never a serious problem for me except within the past 2 years or so, after I weaned my youngest child and started having some serious depression issues. I have a loving husband who I love with all of my heart. My drinking has escalated to ridiculous proportions and I need to quit. I have tried several times and can usually get to day 5 or 6 before I drink again to the point of complete blacking out. My kids are getting older and starting to catch on to this. I am on medication for my depression now and an seeing a therapist. I have also started to go to AA meetings. :thanks

Impurrfect 04-09-2013 12:57 PM

((PeppyGirl)) - Welcome to SR!! Sounds like you've made some wise decisions as far as therapy, meetings and antidepressants. You'll find all kinds of support here, and for me, that helped a lot:)

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

FeenixxRising 04-09-2013 01:00 PM

Welcome peppy. It appears you're taking the right steps to get sober. IMO, work as hard as you can right now. You're only two years into this and it seems you have a supportive family; you really don't want to let this get worse.

Stick around here, there is a lot of support and encouragement here.

deeker 04-09-2013 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=PeppyGirl;3907918]Hi everyone,
Welcome Peppy, keep comin back here and make yourself accountable to at least one sober person in here. Join the 24 hour club.:) Glad u found us!

NapsteR1 04-09-2013 02:03 PM

Welcome PeppyG!

:welcome

773niki 04-09-2013 02:58 PM

Congrats! I'm 31, female and I have been sober almost 6 months now and I've been trying to quit for years...this is the first time it's worked.

i too have done things differently this time.

I see a therapist weekly.
I am on an anti-depressant that is seemingly working wonders.
I did 90 meetings in 90 days and got a sponsor I meet with, which to me, is KEY. Keeps you accountable. It's so hard to ask someone to be yours, but it's soo worth it - trust me.

I think you're on the right path! I am also working the steps. DOn't give up on AA - I wanted to but wanted to quit more...

Hevyn 04-09-2013 03:27 PM

Welcome to the family Peppy. I wish I could go back to my 30's & do what you're doing. You'll never regret making the decision to stop before things spin out of control. Congratulations for coming here and seeking a better life - you're not alone.

Dee74 04-09-2013 03:46 PM

Welcome to SR PeppyGirl :)

D

Delilah1 04-09-2013 04:52 PM

Welcome Peppy!!!

Jean77 04-09-2013 05:06 PM

It's incredible how our background sound similiar. Wish you the best.

3girls1husband 04-09-2013 08:05 PM

Welcome Peppy! You are on the right track and sound like you have a goal!! Cheers to you!

beefer 04-10-2013 01:44 AM

Welcome Peppy,
This disease is quite baffling isn't it? I know you want to quit drinking and have tried everything (especially that thinking mind of ours). The solution is layed out quite clearly , precise and exact on how to "recover" in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. Others have encouraged you to "continue" and not give up. The text book of recovery B.B. for short suggests a series of "actions" to be taken in order to recover. We all have gone through what you are experiencing and have come out on the other side...sobriety , peace and happy. Find someone who has worked the Steps and get in her back pocket.The love and understanding you will find at meetings, the directions to get well are in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. I shall keep you in my prayers.

Snowie71 04-10-2013 02:10 AM

Welcome Peppy. I work from home full time around 2 kids. Like you I had a professional career before I switched to accommodate kids (we can't afford for me not to work, sadly).

I just wanted to give you some encouragement. I'm new to actually quitting but my kids are home over the school holidays (one is still tiny but his daycare doesn't do school holidays). I am having such FUN with them. If I was hungover I'd be faking cheerfulness instead of the real deal...and faking enthusiasm and energy too!! So I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice from experienced sober-lifers, but I'd just like to chip in that fun with kids is right up there as one of the best reasons to go for it! I have also been putting alcohol money in a money box when I've conquered an urge and it really adds up, even though I wasn't drinking extreme amounts. I was (am, I suppose, it's early days) more of a binger.

Best wishes to you!!