Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kys

Drank on my 6th day in

And I wasted a night away.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Get up. Dust off. Begin again. You know you want to.

I want you to, and I bet I'm not the only one here who will post it.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you identify the triggers that made you drink? If you can spend some time walking yourself through the build up to drinking you will be able to know yourself better and thus prevent the same thing happening again. Were you hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Were resentments part of the issue. Maybe you were convincing yourself that you could only have the one. Search deep for the answers.

One of my triggers is anger, and another is hurt pride. Today, I felt myself getting quite angry and my pride was being hurt. Fortunately, I noticed what was going on and despite everything I was able to remain calm and just get though the situation. I kept telling myself that the situation will pass, and sure enough it did. I walked past the bars on the way home, without a thought of chemically calming myself down, because, for a change, I didn't need to be calmed down!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shauninspain View Post
Can you identify the triggers that made you drink? If you can spend some time walking yourself through the build up to drinking you will be able to know yourself better and thus prevent the same thing happening again. Were you hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Were resentments part of the issue. Maybe you were convincing yourself that you could only have the one. Search deep for the answers.
Seconded. To prevent it from happening again, it only makes sense to think hard about why you did it the last time.

Welcome back though! :-)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear that Kys. But kudos for coming back and realizing your mistake. Most of us have relapsed, and more than once. Learn from it and figure out how to prevent it next time.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by Kys View Post
You are on the brink of wasting a whole life away.

We all get to that point where we know we need to quit, because things are getting scary and it's hard to quit. When it's hard to quit, it's time to quit.

What I did was saw a doctor, and was honest and committed to quitting. I got a low-dose prescription to help me through the first few weeks, and I didn't ask for more. 22 weeks later, with a lot of support from meetings and SR, I am still sober.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Slips happen, it happened to me.

What is important is what you do now. Don't let this slide into a full relapse.

You can do this x
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know it seems to be discouraging, however, learn from it. What can you do different this time. Secondly be gentle with yourself, learn from it, but don't beat yourself up! Just try again. The addiction only gets you when you stop trying to quit!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kys

So much needed support - I will take all of this with me tomorrow.

None of your posts go wasted. I read them over.

Thank you, and until tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You know what to do now - start over fresh. Never stop trying. You can do this!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kys

Didn't drink tonight! Challenging though, see below.

Can anyone tell me if they can relate to this - seems I have an obsessive mind, like I feel I've drunk one night so I need to start all over again. And so given I'm starting all over again I might as well start on X day as I've got nothing on or no social challenges etc starting from that X day. And sometimes even just starting on a Monday enters my mind as being a great idea. Of course I'd drink on the Monday, and so convince myself the next Monday will be the start. Repeat.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The most important thing is that you not continue to drink, dust yourself off and don't beat yourself up! You are alive and you can start again!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Sounds like what kept me a week away from quitting for years.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes yes Kys!! I think that rhymes?? I had those "obsessive" thoughts all the time. That is your disease talking to you. It is very cunning and smart and can talk us into all kinds of stuff we would never do. YOU know you have to quit. Listen to yourself and not the disease.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Kys View Post
Can anyone tell me if they can relate to this - seems I have an obsessive mind, like I feel I've drunk one night so I need to start all over again.
I have a mind like that, too. I don't call it obsessive, though. I call it addicted to alcohol.

My addicted mind has 2 parts;
  • the part that contains my personality, wisdom, knowledge, judgment and inhibitions
  • the part that is addicted to alcohol
That second part craves alcohol. Oh, how it craves it! I wish I could make it stop, but I can't. The only thing that can make it stop craving is persistent abstinence from alcohol. Starving it until it forgets to crave. Forgets what it was craving. That will be months or years from now.

In the meantime I have to rely on that first part of my brain to exercise top-down executive control over that begging, whining, negotiating, obsessing, threatening, insulting, alcohol-craving lab rat who wants me to press the lever for it just one more time. Just until Monday.

There's a better way. let's do this!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kys

Please and thank you.

I read all of your messages, over. I will always check in even if just reading. I may not write always, but I'm definitely here. You guys are life savers. I'm thankful that you stick with me.

Can't believe I went five days! And that was from Thurs to Tues but seems like a different life.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, Kys!

I had a lot of trouble with obsessive thoughts too. I learned from reading here at SR that thoughts are just thoughts. They don't control you. You can learn to feel them and let them go.

I'm glad you're finding support here.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is progressive and the recovery periods lengthen. If I drink on a Friday night I need to make sure I have nothing scheduled until Tuesday because 1 drink = a 3 day bender.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Get back in the saddle.. You can do it.. Don't look to far in the future.. Take it one day at a time.. Wishing you the best!!