Notices

Sober living

Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Sober living

I am new to all of this. I've only been sober since 11/23/12. It's becoming alittle harder lately, although this is not my first attempt. I have a good sponser(who is a male friend). I'm in contact with him daily. He's been sober for almost 40 years. Springtime reminds of sitting outside with a vodka and cranberry. Any suggestions?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Find a new drink to have while sitting outside. Change your routine and your habits. Just don't drink today. There's a lot of support here. I hope we can make it a bit easier to stay sober in the face of temptation.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The change in seasons brings back memories for me too.
What I usually do is call a friend in recovery, go to a meeting, journal or read the literature.

I heard an old timer speak last night. He said that whenever he has a sponsee call him in a frazzle, he tells them to read any one of the first 164 pages of the Big Book. He said time and again after they do this, they always have a change in attitude.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I've taken up Arnold Palmers for my sippin' beverage. 1/2 sugarfree lemonade, 1/2 sweet iced tea.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm assuming you are in AA if you have a sponsor. Where are you at with the 12 steps?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are a day sooner then my sober date! It is a challenge to face the warmer weather. I, however, am looking forward to exploring this spring sober to discover all that I have missed during my drunken blackouts! I'm looking forward to planting flowers and may also explore patio gardening as I live in a condo. I'm also going to break open a couple cans of paint and refreash the paint on my walls. Do you have any springtime projects you could do?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wink

I really don't have any big projects for Spring. I will be doing a flower and vegetable garden. I live at the beach and love to go for walks on it.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dont tackle any BIG projects...

...Just the one's big enough to keep your hands and mind occupied, that you can complete in a short amount of time.

BIG projects can get frustrating, aggrevating and get drawn out. You want to see progress short term. It's more fullfilling. It bolsters your confidence in YOU!

A Flower or vegetable garden would be ideal !!! After you get it in and going...errr, growing, It will teach you patience. Patience is very important in recovery.

You know we have had this "Instant Gratification" thing for too long. Time to learn...Patience

A garden will surely teach you that!

Duh (and the veggies from your own garden ...so delicious) Dave