Notices

Diabetic Alcoholic - Ready to Slow it

Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Diabetic Alcoholic - Ready to Slow it

Long story short I got diabetes when I was 25 from eating crap Mcdonalds and no nutrition for 3 years straight in college while partying like a maniac and not sleeping much (I'm 35 now). I have a highly addictive personality, both parents drank a lot growing up, lost a brother to drug addiction and my mom is currently fighting lung cancer from smoking too much. So ya highly addictive nature, like all of you I'm sure. So I'm here to change things and get better.

I'm proud of myself and have got my diabetes more in check (besides the binge drinking). But I stopped fast food, stick to only extremely healthy foods and feel SO MUCH better. But there still is my old alcohol shadow.

I am down to 2-5 days a week but when I do drink I go hard and fast. I know it's really not good for my health but I am slowly reducing it.

I don't want to stop yet because I enjoy some social drinking with friends and my girlfriend, so I guess I'm in a point where I have to decide if I can only drink a little or if I have to give it up completely.

So, here I am.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome...I am sorry for your losses and comprised medical conditions. My hope would be for you to stop drinking entirely since it seems to be out of control. It's your decision of course, but I think you would benefit greatly seeking help, like SR and recovery groups. By helping yourself you will help others. Best to you.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Diabetes and drinking don't go together very well. I hope you can stop drinking completely before you do yourself more damage.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome bukowski. I also have diabetes, T2. I'm sure you know that alcohol isn't good for diabetics. I used to have good control of my blood sugar numbers (A1c always below 6), but the drinking has really screwed up my levels. I'm sober now and I'm working to get my numbers back into normal range.

The hard and fast drinking is not good. I was the same type of drinker as you; although, more like every week, rather than 2-3 times per week. The binges can really screw up your body. It sounds like you've taken a number of steps to get healthy. So why not take the next step and quit drinking altogether? You will find a lot of support and encourgement on this site.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome bukowski. Congrats on getting your diet and diabetes in check, that's always a good thing. Regarding moderation vs quitting, that something you have to decide for yourself. You do mention many of the warning signs ( immediate family with addictions, your own addictive personality, your inability to control how much you drink when you do, etc.. ). While no one here will tell you that you are an alcoholic or not, we can certainly help you by sharing our stories of failure/success and you can find lots of of info on the various recovery methods.

Again welcome and congrats on your process so far, read lots and ask lots of questions!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not diabetic.

If I was diabetic the last thing I would do is drink. It's so bad for you in so many ways.

On a separate note - if I felt I had to drink to socialize that would be a big red flag about a problem with alcohol.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the feedback, looking forward to change, I'm tired of justifying my drinking and making excuses. Just got back from the gym and on day 2 of no drinking!