Notices

I am so done!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

I am so done!

Why do I keep torturing myself? Right now I am so done with alcohol and ready to be sober 24/7. It's been such a struggle for me. The feeling like crap all the time, forget hangovers, just feeling like crap. Tired, dragged out, cranky, unhappy, disliking myself on just about every level. UGH!

I'm recomitting. This is Day1... I don't know how many Day 1's I've done but sooner or later it's gotta stick, right? I'll be getting myself to more meetings and I have a new plan for keeping my mind busy so I don't fall into the old habit every night.

I'm going back to my daily meditating, praying, focussing on a closer relationship with God.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

You sound like you're ready. Maybe try a different method than you've tried in the past? There are so many to read about here-surely one will work best for you!!

Try to think of all the things you enjoy that you never seem to have time for. If you stop drinking you'll have more time to do them
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there, Im day 5 today, congrats to you on day 1. I see your religious, If u have an iphone or similar, there is a great app called girlfriends in god, they also have a website. Its nothing to do with addiction, but its a lovely inspirational app for christian women, has daily devotions to read which are lovely. Wishing you all the best.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back and giving it another go.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found that it is was really easy for me to committ to Day 1 when I was really sick and hung over. The hard part was when the cravings started kicking in as the number of hours I had been sober increased. It's "only going to stick" when you truly have committed to staying sober; not drinking no matter what. Going to a meeting/seeking support before and when you want to drink. They aren't kidding when they say that "everything has to change when you get sober". I had to radically change my habits so that I didn't "fall" in to the same patterns. Now I can laugh at times the lengths I will go to stay sober but at the time it wasn't funny because it sucked. You CAN do this!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats and best of luck from a fellow Wisconsinite. As others have suggested, is there something you could try different this time to make it stick? I believe it's important to have tools ready to combat the urge before you get in the situation itself. Just like a sports team will have a game plan, and a backup game plan, and even a backup to the backup for the next contest.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glasscat View Post
I'm going back to my daily meditating, praying, focussing on a closer relationship with God.
Prayer and mediation can help you find balance and peace of mind, but you and only you can do the hard work necessary to stay sober. To use a cliché, God helps those who help themselves. So be careful you don't fall into a trap where you think prayer alone is enough, IMO it isn't. You will have to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

You can do this. Remember, we are all stinger than we think we are.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glasscat View Post

I'm recomitting.
What are you recommitting to?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I find that I am able to put myself into "states of mind," and there are physical steps to take to remove myself from those states. A good attitude helps. I am going to make a suggestion for changing your attitude...

Change your avatar. Edvard Muench painted "The Scream" after Krakatau volcano exploded, and people were freaking out because the sky had changed color. Your avatar reminds me of my state of mind in 2011 when I was sent to a psych ward (in handcuffs), because I feared volcanic doom in December, 2012. Why do you want to conjure up fear and panic?

My avatar has changed several times, it's currently "late season snow on ponies." I thought you'd be able to read the sign on the tree, it reads "10 MPH PLEASE."

Aloha!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Sorry if my avatar conjures up "fear and panic." I happen to love the painting and so it stays. I would never tell someone to change their avatar. Sheesh.