Notices

Help me!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Help me!

I see the headlines. I have been there. I have deeply felt the need to scream at the top of my virtual lungs.

… And all with very good reason.

I can’t say for sure what I expected to get back. But certainly there was no echo from SR. Instead the unexpected.

Collectively a mirror was held up. I was encouraged to look at it. See it differently. See it for the first time in many ways. It was uncomfortable to say the least.

If bad things happen to me and I see those same things happen to others it somehow makes me feel less affected. Somehow they become normal. That makes some sense. Seeing others like me helped me to see me.

SR catapulted my understanding of addiction, its affects and the many solutions forward a few years.

It takes the worlds laypersons understanding of addiction and concentrates it to fit on the head of a pixel.

Having been here a year… reading and learning…. I am one of those that easily see patterns in the intangible. The waves of the users and the mood of the board shifts and bobs. Like watching a plant grow in time capture animation…. the movements are subtle and small but eventually lead to the blossoms we love to see and admire for their complex simplicity.

So many have grown in front of my eyes. I think I have. Hard to tell sometimes.

Never stop asking for help. There is no shame in it. There will never be an echo from SR. Expect the unexpected.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

That is a really lovely post. Thanks for that. (shifted me out of a bit of a rut)
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Ken. I was a little worried at first. I saw the title and quickly opened the thread. In my mind I was thinking "Oh no. What happened?"
Yes, "HELP ME" is essential in this process. Very necessary. Its when we stop asking for help that leads to problems, no?
Have a good day
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Ken, and yes you have grown so much.

I think we joined SR at about the same time, and I have watched you take each step forward as I took mine.

You help me and many others x
Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just see this and know how it feels to feel that need and not really know what to do. Just want to encourage people not to stop asking.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You never know where it's going to come from, but help is here.

I was a few days dry and terrified that my resolve would wear off; that I could never learn to stop drinking until everything wonderful in my life had been wasted by my seemingly uncontrollable craving for alcohol.

Then some guy on SR told me he liked envisioning putting his AV in a covered box and plugging the air hole. It was the nadir; all uphill from that point on.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember when I had about 7 weeks sober and had a complete meltdown one night...sat alone with a bottle of vodka and proceeded to drink myself into oblivion.

I thought I had blown it big time and there was no way back for me.

I posted on SR while I was still capable of typing and then went into blackout....

The next day when despite all my best efforts I did actually wake up, there were countless posts of support. I was totally incredulous that people I'd never met really cared about me.

One PM in particular really stayed with me...a woman in another country told me she'd got down on her knees and prayed for me that night...

I was so humbled by that and I won't ever forget it.

SR really does save lives. I haven't drunk since x
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is so moving Jeni. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

You know me Ken. I feel confused at this point. Don't know whether to just suck it up or post. I'll say it not trying to sabatoge your post. You know I have failed attempts. You say don't be afraid to keep asking for help , well when do you wear out your welcome. I failed this weekend and posted so Sunday @ 7:30 Am. I was kinda traumatized when @ 11:30 I had zero response so I sent a private message to Anna Administrator. She explained how it was Sunday and people were busy, then she post on my thread just to get it back up there. Still no response ,none. I know its just one time I always got response before this but it affected my thought process. I'm an addict I'm screwed up. My emotions are all over the place. In my distorted mind I'm thinking these people have grown tired of me. Why post again. This just goes to the" keep asking" I have nothing but respect for you, just trying to get my point across and this post brought me to speak up.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ricky. What Anna said is true. I get few responses based on time and day. That should never discourage you. As it so happens I was down with my ipad email and did not answer either. But these are not signs othat mean anything more than people were temporarily unavailable. This site seems on demand because of so many ppeople but its notlet me make this clear. Your AV wants you to stop asking for help. Recoil and be silent. Don't let that happen. Its a trick Ricky is playing on himself. Keep coming. Keep opening up. I posted over and over and over about my releases. I have 2k in posts... most about me seeking help. Stick with this. Ask for help every freaking day if you need it. Every single person here deserves the support. You included. This is from my phone and I type horrible on it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Lol with the typing. Vented. Feeling better. I will not ever stop. I really like the idea I read somewhere here of putting Av in a box and plugging the air hole. For the sake of just an example. I know a little about this site , but some newcomer has a horrible Sat night and posts on Sunday morning and gets Zero response, this guy may never ask again.......... I guess Sunday is just a bad time to ask for help. I love this forum though and thanks to all
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Sorry If I hijacked your post . To all, Ken is awesome. Continue with the comliments
Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ricky, it's true. Some posts get less answers than others just depending on the time of day they appear.
It was nothing to do with you personally, I'm certain of that.

Never ever stop posting or reaching out to us.

If you don't get much response from this thread, PM people. I'm on here every day and I always answer PMs.

Are you a member of a monthly support class? I would be lost without mine.

I've had a few times since I got sober when I've been on the very edge of a relapse. Times when I've been desperate for help. I've been saved by this site.

Hang in there xxx
Old 04-08-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There will be a Sunday morning when Ricky is online watching for people who used Saturday. And he will be a bit wiser and offer help when seemingly no one else is round.

And yes... you can all go back to your compliments now!.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I got half way through this thread, and got down on my knees and said a prayer for Weasel.

Then I read some more and decided I better get down on my knees again and pray for Trikyriky.

There's ALWAYS somebody here at SR to listen TO. Despite a recent major life event, Newby still posts inspirational quotes daily. Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information. If you poke around the mental health forum, there's usually someone who could use a kind word.

Thank you, Weasel! Best wishes, Riky!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by trikyriky View Post
I had zero response so I sent a private message to Anna Administrator. She explained how it was Sunday and people were busy,...
Not to mention that it was a beautiful weekend, and now that we're sober, many of us actually go outside and enjoy it!

Hope you're feeling better now.

Oh, and Ken is awesome. He has the second best meatloaf recipe on SR!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was a little nervous reading the subject line too!! So glad you're doing well my friend!! Progress not perfection!! Keep up the great work!!