Notices

I learned some things about myself...

Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I learned some things about myself...

Over the weekend.

I was very worried going into the weekend. Scared, really. I knew I would be around drinking, lots of friends and family enjoying it, great weather... By I knew I couldn't drink. If I did it would be a slippery slope to a binge.

I was right. There was high dollar beer, moonshine, tequila shots, wine, great food... And great times.

Great times even had by a sober yours truly. Instead of paragraphing some observations I'll just bullet them.

- I had a blast. I slept well, enjoyed a couple of cigars and clove cigarettes, woke up feeling great each morning, and have no regrets. I ate too much but feel wonderful this morning.

- nobody cared I wasn't drinking. The only one that asked about it was my mother in law... "I noticed you aren't drinking beer with the rest of them..." after saying I had given it up she replied "good for you..." my father in law said the same later that day. I'm sure he heard through the grapevine.

- I was never really tempted. I think this is because I built up such a defense before going into the weekend. Sunday afternoon I sorta wanted a glass of wine. It wasn't worth it. Again, it wouldn't have Ben just one.

- I can live a sober life. I can do anything sober I did drunk... Only better. Instead of enjoying a buzz I was able to enjoy life. From sunrise to bedtime. No awful feelings, no hangovers, no spaces in memory... Pure, unadulterated enjoyment.

I can do it. And, I want more.... I pray my personal fog continues to dissipate and my skies stay clear.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Paddler)) - WOW!! Good for you!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 04-08-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful news, Paddler. I had a feeling it would turn out that way for you. Even better days are ahead. It's a new world for us.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done, Paddler, very well done!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
I was never really tempted. I think this is because I built up such a defense before going into the weekend. Sunday afternoon I sorta wanted a glass of wine. It wasn't worth it. Again, it wouldn't have Ben just one.
This just underscores for me the importance of thinking and planning ahead to resist temptation. Planning ahead being something that might have helped me avoid my recent and very regrettable binge.

Congrats to you -- anther remarkable success story!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post Paddler. I was on an overnight business trip last week with my boss and some of the other construction managers. Everyone drinks a few beers in the evening, and when I was drinking I always did also (except I had my liquor stash to supplement the few beers). This time, I just had a cup of coffee. The evening went on, and a few more beers for everybody, but I did not drink. I was anxious before the trip, thinking I would be a duck out of water that evening, but hey, it was no big deal! I actually found that I could converse and interact just as well when sober, even better I did not run the risk of getting drunk and obnoxious.

Thanks again for your post. It shows life can be a great adventure...SOBER
Old 04-08-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great news, Paddler!! I am glad to hear it. Let's just keep on keepin on buddy
Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Love stories like this!! Thanks for sharing!! What a great post to start the week!! Good stuff, thank you!!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Planning ahead...you proved that is the key Paddler

Great Job
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was thinking about you this weekend. Way to go!!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had a blast.
Yeah! That's what it's all about!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story. It is great to read about how pure and enjoyable sobriety can be (as someone who is struggling to get clean again I tend to forget the little things). Great of you to make it through without a drink and your strong desire to continue
Old 04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Awesome. I knew you could do it! I am very happy to hear this follow up to your previous post.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That rocks, Paddler.
Thanks for being a role model to us new guys.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What a great post, Paddler! Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
- I can live a sober life. I can do anything sober I did drunk... Only better. Instead of enjoying a buzz I was able to enjoy life. From sunrise to bedtime. No awful feelings, no hangovers, no spaces in memory... Pure, unadulterated enjoyment.

I can do it. And, I want more.... I pray my personal fog continues to dissipate and my skies stay clear.
This is so great to read!! Because really is just mind over booze! You decided that you were going to have a good time and low and behold, you did!! I sometimes think that our biggest problem with sobriety is US!

I did the "bar test" a few days ago, and it was weird yet so empowering all at the same time. I love my bartender, she is so great and I didn't want to toss the friendship, so I finally waltzed in and asked for a mug o Canada Dry. She looked at me a smidge funny, and I told her "I quit" and she said "Good for you!!" Gave me my pop and we chatted for a bit. Then I went over to the "regulars" table and sat down. Said hi to the gang and interestingly not one asked me why I was drinking a pop. So here I was, all armed up with reasons, things to say about not drinking etc when NO ONE CARED! haha.

Anyhow good on you!! Keep up the great work and enjoy yourself - you deserve it!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love hearing posts and replies like this. Day by day, I too find myself being more able to enjoy normal life and interactions without booze. The progression certainly seems to be that the more time without it, the less I need it to feel comfortable (and have fun) in social situations. Nice work!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
now's the time

Reading this made me so happy. Great descriptions, congratulations on what sounds like a wonderful weekend and a stronger footing!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. Strangely enough I craved drinking more doing yard work yesterday evening after we were home, settled in, etc... It was fairly easy to dismiss, though.

I can't put into words how much I'm enjoying falling asleep naturally and sleeping through the night, drinking good coffee and tea, having energy to accomplish things throughout the day, not worrying about little aches and pains in my stomach, my panic attacks are gone (13 days out), I'm more motivated to set and achieve goals,...

The list goes on and on and on. And, had I drank over the weekend under the illusion it would have made things more enjoyable, or everyone was doing it, I would be a miserable wreck this morning...

Thank you all so so much for the support. That means so much.