Notices

Hey everyone, Newcomer. On day 3 and struggling

Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, Newcomer. On day 3 and struggling

Hello everyone! I am on day 3 of sobriety from opiates. I used them as prescribed after surgery until my mom died three years ago. It got out of control. I used the drugs to numb my feelings. My father passed away a few moths ago and that made it worse. It was the only way I could face the day. I don't want to go back. This is my um-teenth time quitting, but I am determined to make it stick. The last times I failed because I had no support. No one knows about my addiction. People don't realize how easy it can be to hide. I never took enough to severely impair my daily functioning. I looked and acted "normal."

I feel like garbage. Between the sweating, chills, hot flashes, and constant urination (what is up with that anyway?) I feel like a mess. I find a nice soft blanket, loose clothing, and a comfy spot to lay can do wonders. Then there's the insomnia problems. And the fact that my arms keep spasming like crazy. I have no idea how long this will last but I'm utterly miserable.

This journey was made ten times harder by a phone call I got a couple of hours ago. My aunt just passed away. After losing my dad a few short months ago, now I lost my Aunt (his sister.) These are the times when my urge to use skyrockets.

I need support. I need to know that this will pass. I need to know that the hell I feel is only temporary. When will I feel like a normal person again??
Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Twilight!

I am a recovering alcoholic. There are other threads here about opiate withdrawal if you want to read some experiences of others. But the Newcomer's thread is a good place to hang out for now!

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

CF

Last edited by Coldfusion; 04-07-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added link
Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

<3 hang in there consider sein a doc
Old 04-07-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys =)
Old 04-07-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sparkle,

I am new (again) as well. Well, currently trying to even make it to "newcomer". I completely understand how some things can just push someone to the point of not using being incredibly difficult (like its not already, right?). I recently relapsed after 2 years and 4 months clean. A major reason was my depression going through the roof due to my best friend committing suicide. When I had to opportunity to use I did not even think I just jumped into it(heroin) again.

Loss is never simple to deal with..however from experience I know that using is the worst coping method. Just saving the pain for later to deal with after beating myself down by using.

3 days is great, the most difficult time. Glad you posted here with the desire to get clean and also it is helpful for me to read someone with similar experiences.

Stay strong
Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Sparkle and welcome! Have you seen your Dr yet? Yes, in your own time, you will feel like a normal person!! You have experienced much loss and I will not even attempt to say "I know how you feel", but I can tell you that if you use, what has already happened will not change. So try to take your feelings head on and sober!! Don't rule out seeing a counselor or peer group etc if you think you need that extra bit support to get you through this. Stay on track and you will get through it!!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am sorry for your recent loss of your aunt. Please don't pick up. It will only make things worse.

Welcome to SR!