Notices

How I am staying sober

Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How I am staying sober

In my first month of sobriety I asked anyone who would listen to me when I would start to feel better and when the obsession to drink would go away. Now that I have passed the TRUE obsession hurdle (doesn't mean I don't get a crave or thought here and there), I want to share what I have been doing that's helped me stay sober thus far.

I work the AA program. I did 90 meetings in 90 days. It's not a requirement of AA but I relapsed and that's what I had to do or else my sponser wouldn't help me anymore. There is tons of info about AA on this site so I won't go into program details. After about 2 months the obsession became less and less. I believe this had to do with time passing but also with filling my time with other things such as meetings and doing sober activities with other sober people.
At the 90 day mark, I really started getting back into "life". I felt good enough (mentally and physically) to start exploring hobbies I had left behind. For me, I had to do more than just not drink. I wanted a different life, a better life. A fulfilling one really. And that's the point I am still at now..continuing to find things I enjoy or do the things I used to do before I drank alcoholically. Bike riding, gardening, girls night except with board games, soda, snacks and chats. I want to take a painting class. Learn how to play the violin again. You get the point. I get out and get busy living!

The next big thing for me has been establishing and maintaining good relationships with other sober alcoholics. I read and post on SR. I call women from AA who have a lot of sobriety and ask them for advice or to get coffee. Sometimes I call just to say hi so that I keep the relationships going. They are the women that are helping me build MY recovery journey. Their wisdom woven with my experience is helping me shape a new healthy attitude.

Most importantly, I remind myself daily that I can't drink safely. I am powerless over alcohol and if I take one drink, there's no telling what will happen. I could end up dead, in jail, homeless, jobless, in a hospital, a strangers bed, in a fight with someone I love. Some of the latter things have never happened to me but they just may, if I get drunk. When the thought to drink arises, I pray to God to take it away. I go to a meeting, come on SR and call another sober alcoholic. I promise myself that no matter how much that drink entices me, I will not do it today. In the morning, I wake up grateful I didn't give in.

I truly believe my spiritual connection has helped me to get and stay sober. Combine that with working my recovery program and I have got a few things to fall back on if I am lacking in one area or two for the day.

I hope that I can help someone by sharing. I know many of you have helped me soo many times and will continue to do so So thankful you are all here.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks QuitforMe! I am just beginning my third month on Thursday and starting to rejoin the living again but need some additional tools as well. Reading through your post gave me some ideas and also a dose of courage as I have been a little wimpy on the reaching out to other AA members besides my sponsor and one or two friends. I need to get over myself and also make some calls and seek out support instead of waiting for it to come to me most of the time. Thanks so much for your post---it's thought-provoking posts like yours that make me check in with SR night after night!!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad to hear you're doing well, quit!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
After about 2 months the obsession became less and less. I believe this had to do with time passing but also with filling my time with other things such as meetings and doing sober activities with other sober people.

At the 90 day mark, I really started getting back into "life". I felt good enough (mentally and physically) to start exploring hobbies I had left behind. For me, I had to do more than just not drink. I wanted a different life, a better life. A fulfilling one really.
I believe this is so important. If we just quit and not work at building a rich and rewarding life, we will just end up drinking again. Well done on staying sober, and thanks for posting.