Notices

I'm back and I'm done fooling myself

Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm back and I'm done fooling myself

It doesn't matter if I'm only going to drink a little. I never ends up that way. It doesn't matter if I'm only going to drink beer. That doesn't work either. I need to just quit and get my life back.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You said a mouthful. I'm starting over today too.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations to both Rose and me so sober for your resolve and making it here ! I'm new too...almost a month !

Cindy
Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Rose,
I am only 47 days sober so I can't offer a whole of advice, except to say that you have taken that first step by admitting to yourself that alcohol is a problem in your life. Keep coming here and reading/posting. It is great resource and everyone here has walked in your shoes. Congrats on your decision and welcome to SR!
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

aboard..

This was the beginning of finding a joyous, happy, and free life without alcohol for ME...

Big Book Online - the doctor's opinion
Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I made it a couple weeks in February but went downhill pretty quick. Two wine black outs in the last three nights, no I can't do moderation. I'm scared because it seems like everything we do revolves around drinking.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Rose, I'm back and I'm done fooling myself? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Moderation is something I can't do either. I tried all the theories like, I'll just drink on weekends, or I'll just have 2, or I'll just drink wine etc...When I finally realized, and axtually tell people without shame, that I'm not like them, I think and act differently because 1 or 2 is never enough. Welcome and just know that we have all been there.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I believe that IF there was a way to moderate alcohol for the alcholics and it worked, then there would be a ton of research available to all of us. The reality is that as alcoholics, we cannot moderate our intake. I finally gave up trying. It NEVER worked and the consequences only got worse. I know it is hard...really hard to become sober. It is hard to stay that way...but only at first. And then sobriety becomes easier. Try it. If you don't like it you can always go out again. My life has become better and I'm not willing to give that up. There is so much support and strength on SR.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back and trying again.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Rose,

Our lives do revolve around drinking because that's the choice we make.

But believe me when I say that there are brilliant and precious people in this world that don't need booze to color their lives. Find them. Join them. Life only seems to revolve around drinking because that's the place you've chosen to be right now. Get out. Find a new niche. There can be joy and satisfaction and excitement and lasting fun without get hammered.

And what's more, you'll cherish the memories instead of regretting the blackouts. Friday and Saturday (or any) night don't have to be spent around a bottle. There are so many other amazing things we could be doing instead of seeking entertainment. Take some time to look yourself in the mirror and see the pricelessness of your life. Relapse after relapse, get back up and fight! Never give up :*
Old 04-07-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm with Clover.
If there was a way to do it like a reasonable human being--I'm sure there would be something available to show me how to do it.
There isn't.
Frankly, I don't want to even drink moderately at this point.
I've got some plans for different situations. Fortunately, I've plenty of accessories from my drinking days. Full bottle koozie? Check. Put a bottle of root beer in it. Looks like a beer.
It's my usual to buy rounds of drinks at a dinner/night out. I'll keep doing it--but no one needs to know my drink is non-alcoholic.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

If there was only moderate drinking then there would be Alcoholism..

If I could drink like a normal person, then I would drink everyday.. Just like before..
Old 04-07-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Why am I mad that I can't handle happy hours or sitting around a bonfire having a couple beers? I'm mad I can't drink like 'normal' people. That's sad.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's okay to be mad. I was angry with myself when I realized that I had become an alcoholic. And, I mourned the loss of alcohol in my life. But, you can do it. Many of us have succeeded.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was mad too, Rose. I caused myself so much grief trying to be able to drink socially. I had to reach the same conclusion you are - and once I got used to it I felt a sense of relief. It was wonderful to be free of the compulsion to drink, the hangovers, the whole ugly mess. It isn't easy in the beginning, but there is life after alcohol Rose. You can do this.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Drinking revolved around me....

Today, it doesn't need to be that way!

Congrats on starting again~~
Old 04-07-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am mad too, Rose.
When I get objective about it though, I just realize that I'm not physically built like other people. Just like I wanted to be taller as a kid. I got over it, and excelled at stuff us smaller folks are good at.
Not quite the same, I know. But it's one way I use to continue showing myself I'm not like those who can enjoy alcohol moderately.
It's dumb. I wish it wasn't so. But, honestly: if I could drink like normal people, I wouldn't crave it, go overboard with it, nor ruin my health with it. I probably just wouldn't think about it.