Notices

New guy

Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy

Hi. I'm new here. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say. I've tried to stop drinking many many times. I've tried every day for the last 2 weeks and failed. It's actually getting harder. Yesterday after coaching soccer with the kids i cut across two lanes of traffic to buy coke for my rum, then i drank a fistful. I was drunk by 5. But Then I found this site. I'm thinking that chatting or reading about people with similar problems might help. My doctor and friends say that I should just limit myself to 2 a day. But I can't seem to stop at 2 and they don't get it. The thought of being an alcoholic bums me out so I hope that's not case. I can't imagine having fun without booze. Anyway, here I am. Today I'm not going to drink.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Doctors not familiar with alcoholism are useless, that has been my experience.

Are you ready to quit for good ? Until you can admit and accept the fact that you are powerless over alcohol, and can NEVER drink like a normal person, NOTHING will change...

Life sober is awesome, I enjoy a new sense of freedom ! Still do everything I did before, but without alcohol.......

Good luck Skyjumper !
Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I tried everything too and the only thing that worked and keeps working is AA.

Normal folks limit themselves to 2 drinks a day or less. Alcoholics are either dry or drunk .. there is no in-between.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic of my sort you will find it very hard to limit your drinks. It might work for a day or two, but you'll revert to type quickly and wake up in a terrible mess. You may not want to be an alcoholic, but if you are you really need to address the problem now. Putting it off or living in some sort of denial will only do you harm. It's a progressive problem and over any given amount of time it gets worse, never better.

If you can't imagine having any fun without alcohol, you have already walked over the line from being a social drinker, to somebody who is using a drug, for the effect.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, limiting drinking for an alcoholic is not going to work. I tried that, with great determination, and I ended up in a worse situation.

You know what you need to do and don't worry about what your friends say about it. Also, don't get hung up on the label of alcoholic. The main thing is to stop drinking and learn how to live a happy life without alcohol.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It is entirely possible to have fun without drinking. I do it all the time. I can do anything I want to do and do it better sober.

I tried controlling my drinking too, but it never worked. It's easier for me to quit altogether.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skyjumper View Post
Yesterday after coaching soccer with the kids i cut across two lanes of traffic to buy coke for my rum, then i drank a fistful. I was drunk by 5.
Hi Skyjumper. That doesn't sound like fun. I've been there.
Welcome! Keep reading around SR. There are a lot of people with great insight and there is always someone posting that you probably can relate to. I had to start with not worrying to much about what to call myself but just finding and then doing what I needed to do to live the life I wanted. Continuing to drink wasn't it.

Stick around!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometimes when I look back at what I thought was fun as a drunk....I was kidding myself. Life may not always be so "fun", but it is much more real. And it's nice to remember the good times now.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you. Thank you all very much. I feel good about this.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
I tried everything too and the only thing that worked and keeps working is AA.

Normal folks limit themselves to 2 drinks a day or less. Alcoholics are either dry or drunk .. there is no in-between.

All the best.

Bob R
Dry or Drunk is exactly right. I know, for me, One drink leads to however many I can fit in the day..
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Sky, Today your not going to drink ! that is where it starts, you only have to not drink for today. Keeping reading and posting.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skyjumper View Post
The thought of being an alcoholic bums me out so I hope that's not case. I can't imagine having fun without booze.
Welcome to SR Skyjumper

If you read around you'll see that there's a lot of disagreement about what actually constitutes 'alcoholic' and that there are also 'recovery' methods that don't recognise the term as useful or relevant (AVRT). The only thing that is really important is what you do about it. If you are aware that stopping at two isn't an option for you then you've learnt pretty much all you need to know. Do you not want to consider yourself an alcoholic because you don't want to stop drinking? I know that is the way I felt for years. But I have learnt a lot being sober and really wish I had done it sooner. No one should have to drink, especially not to simply enjoy themselves. Glad you're here x
Old 04-07-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Skyjumper

D
Old 04-07-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi Skyjumper

I had absolutely no use for two drinks. Two drinks was not going to get me drunk, and I liked to be drunk.

It's so much better living without it. Being drunk is not really fun or cool at all, it's actually really stupid and a waste of time. Now I can see that. Ditch the booze and live like a true badass.

ps are you a skyjumper?
Old 04-07-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Soberlicious: yes I am. Are you? I saw someone had a question about fun things you can do sober with friends. I thought about suggesting skydiving. Heck, you have to be sober when you jump. But when the beerlight comes on at sunset . . . well, that's a whole other story, and equally extreme.

I'm blabbing. But I am also sober! A few more hours to go and I'll have 24 under my belt!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I have only jumped once..tandem....but that's all it took to have caught the bug. It is an amazing high...indescribable!! I plan to go again and again....wish it weren't so damned expensive...adrenaline junkie? why yes I am lol

Yes, I understand that many skydivers play hard in many areas, and alcohol is no exception. That shouldn't hold you back though...You can define yourself and live life the way you want to.

We have a member here that used to post who was a BASEjumper. Talk about extreme...he PM'd me some videos. Just watching the footage made my heart pound, I can't imagine what it would feel like to actually do it! Amazing...