Notices

Getting it off my chest.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting it off my chest.

I have been in recovery for the better part of 6 months. I relapse about 2 mo ago, a couple weekend drinks and then too many drinks 2 days in a row, new bottom, etc. back to a solid program immediately. Sober and happy for te most part since. Here's the problem: my husband hasn't been supportive. He likes the fact I'm not drinking, but he isn't encouraging. I have spoken to him about triggers, he turns his cheek. I finally told him that this isn't working for me and it really isn't. I feel like all the time I spend away from him, working, meetings, etc that I am growing, my soul is wanting to explore and learn and experience, and then we are in each others company and I get knocked a few steps back. We can't even talk about anything together, because he takes the defense automatically. I don't know what I expect to happen. I suppose it could go either way: now he has te information and does something with it, (that I'm just not happy) or we part ways (he isn't all that happy either, but he isn't proactive about anything, so he won't file for divorce)

This cross road bites :/ just had to get that out there.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does he drink too? One of the things I found with other people around me is that they don't like change, not at all! Even my non drinking friends haven't been supportive. I am single so can't offer any practical advise but I have spoken to many other people whose families are not supportive. It doesn't seem to have to be a deal breaker. It seems to be a very common thing and if you have the right support elsewhere maybe it will be okay. Or then again maybe it won't be. Like you said, he has the information now. But maybe giving it a bit of time might help. It took me longer than 6 months to accept myself sober, nevermind everyone else who hadn't been preparing for it like I had. I hope you get it sorted either way x
Old 04-07-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sometimes when you stop drinking you look around and wonder about the others
Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richierich777 View Post
Sometimes when you stop drinking you look around and wonder about the others
Could not agree more!