Notices

Losing weight in early sobriety?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Losing weight in early sobriety?

32 days sober today, yippee! Now I'm anxious to tackle my next goal: losing weight. Drinking did a number on my waistline and it's totally out of hand. I have quite a bit to lose.

Although I almost never eat sweets, I have found them to be very helpful in the past 32 days, for whatever reason. I guess this is a common thing -- it's why you'll sometimes find candy and cookies alongside the coffee at AA meetings.

Most people have told me that you should eat whatever you want (within reason) this early in sobriety because starting a strict diet would be too stressful. What are your thoughts and/or experiences? Is this a terrible idea? Should I wait until I'm further along in my sobriety? I just feel like more days "eating what I want" is postponing the inevitable.

PS: My preferred method of losing weight is low-carb, so no sweets even in moderation.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I am coming up on 4 months and I just went to a dietitian, I was gaining and binge eating. Eek. I am on a lower carb, gluten free plan now and I started a week ago... I feel like a different person physically.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

For the first month or two I let myself eat pretty much whatever. I tried not to get too crazy but a sweet here and there helped me. I did not beat myself up about diet and excersize I just focused on sobriety.

I have begun tightening up my diet the past two months and have dropped about 20 lbs total since getting sober.

Im gonna get serious about it now and lose 15 more. No more sweets no fast food and no more eating 1 huge meal a day.

And I am starting a workout program.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My weakness has been peanut m&m's. Not just a few, but by the handful. Now I'm out of those, so last night a had a big bowl of coco puffs. lol. I know I need to stop with the sweets, but I'm hoping it's just temporary. I'm not to concerned about it yet. I'm willing to deal with a temporary sweet tooth if means another day of sobriety.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, I had to make not drinking a priority, even if that meant eating more than I should or something I shouldn't. I too have quite a bit of weight to lose..and just this week I started low carb and more exercise. I know there are some really good low carb sweet recipes out there, maybe that could be an option? I think you'll be able to tell if you are ready to monitor your diet more closely. Sometimes restraining yourself from alcohol is hard enough by itself...try not to put too much pressure on yourself. It will come
Old 04-06-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol has tons of calories! I found that when I quit drinking and just eat normal I loose weight.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi StarlessNight,
First, congratulations on the 32 days! I think that is great you are wanting to get physically healthy too. I don't know if you've seen your doctor since you quit drinking but that's what I would do. Never hurts to get a good physical before changing diet habits. My doctor was thrilled when I told her I quit drinking but I just wanted my blood work done since I was loving the sugar a little to much. Didn't want to risk my new found sobriety to diabetes! Once I knew my how my current blood work stood, I had a good handle on how I could manage my diet. Including the occasional treat.
You sound very positive and I think that is great you want to manage your diet too. I'd say go get a physical so you know where you are starting from and then with your doctor you can work out a plan.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Starless -

You're the right person to gauge how you're feeling what will work for you.

Likely smaller adjustments that add up over a slower timeframe rather than a big change will carry a smaller risk. Also going one day at a time and giving yourself permission to back off on the dieting if it starts become a distraction seems like it would be a good way to manage it.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I lost a bit of weight at first just from not drinking.

I have found that sweets -- and soda in particular -- is a two edged sword. Yes, it helped to quell the cravings, but for some reason it seems to put me in a cycle where I crave alcohol more. So it takes the edge off THIS craving but sets me up for the next. So I've limited my intake of sweets and sweet drinks. Though I will still have some, I try to stay away from the pattern where that is ALWAYS the way I fight off an urge to drink.

As for losing weight, I am doing something like your plan. I stayed off the booze for 30 days, THEN I started exercising. NOW I am ready to start changing my diet and like you I am taking a lot of the high glycemic index foods out -- breads and sugars mainly. I think these are helping me to retain weight around the middle in spite of exercise and being sober. I have lost some already, but it is not coming off the way I would like and I strongly suspect that my blood glucose levels may be a bit out of whack.

Anyhow, I have set this up so I am layering my goals in order of priority. The SINGLE most important thing is staying sober, so regardless of what else I do, that comes first. Then exercise, because of what it does for my mood, energy level, concentration, metabolism and so on. Third is the diet thing. Later on, if so inclined and I have time for it, I'd like to add yoga -- something I used to do once upon a time that did wonders for me in every way. But I have decided that if I get stressed and I have to pull back, then in order to prevent the drinking from coming back I can and will drop the other things temporarily. For me the key is to move forward with my goals but only PROVIDED I don't overwhelm myself with ambitious expectations that create disappointment or exhaustion.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I fear cookies and ice cream jumped into alcohol and drugs spot. Been really convicted that it's time to make a change and work on my health. It's time.

A bit overwhelmed. maybe we can support each other here on this thread.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow miyako..your plan sounds exactly like mine.. And so far it's working. For the whole month of March, I had to focus on staying sober. Now, that the cravings have diminished somewhat, I am adding in a low carb diet and some more intense exercise. BUT..first and foremost, I will not allow anything to cause me to give in and drink. That includes, like you said, setting unrealistic goals, or just being disappointed. Nothing matters more than staying sober.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Why not start a walking and exercise program for yourself? That will give you the good feelings that alcohol once gave you!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Why not start a walking and exercise program for yourself? That will give you the good feelings that alcohol once gave you!
I walk plenty -- no car, long commute. I've never been hardcore into exercise, diet has always been the easier thing to change. Gyms make me really anxious. Walking and other outdoorsy stuff will have to suffice in keeping me active for the time being.