Notices

So i gave in...

Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking wine last June - all alcohol, but I mostly drank wine. I'd tried moderation the year before, but resumed daily drinking. I was so tired of feeling disappointed in myself so decided to quit altogether.

I made plans to do different things around the time I usually opened a bottle of wine.....taking long walks, running errands etc. I found the first week the hardest, then the days began to pile up. It's been a gradual process of self renewal ....and one I wouldn't trade for anything.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I loved Drinking: A Love Story, and found it so inspirational. I figured if she could do it, I could do it too.

I have used SR as my lifeline for many years. I've also depended on a host of books that have led me along my recovery journey.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've probably had a couple thousand Day 1's. It wasn't until I took some concrete action that I finally started to turn the corner.
All the cliche stuff rings true. Go for it!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Javamama. Thanks for sharing your experience and it's so great to hear that you're going to a meeting today. Would love to hear how it goes.

I was wondering if you've made a thorough list of all of the negative effects that happen when drinking alcohol? For me, having that visual is a big help. I purposely remind myself of how horrible I was looking from the alcohol i.e. dark circles, puffy face, fat weight gain and red eyes etc. and I play that visual repeatedly in my head when I have a trigger. (I liken it to a zombie look, and that's a really good wake up call.)

I had a big trigger yesterday afternoon, after I was going through my on-line banking and realized that all of my bank/debit card information had been stolen and someone had tried to charge nearly $800 on my bank account. (I'm in between jobs right now so losing that money would have been a bad hit.) Fortunately I was able to catch it in time and cancel the card as well as the charge. Needless to say I was absolutely furious and for the first time in two months of sobriety, I had contemplated buying a bottle of wine. Fortunately, I had that "ugly visual" to remember of how that bottle of wine would bring me back to that very ugly place. I'm not into zombies, but they play a fantastic role in my recovery plan.

The other thing that helped was remembering all of the helpful and supportive posts here on SR.

That's my two cents.

Stay strong Javamamma! You can do it!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Another book I really liked was "Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife". Another story of an inspirational woman.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Javamama-

I had many failed starts - I'm a slow, but persistent learner, and learned to spot how I was tricking myself.

If you can think back to what caused you to go buy the bottle and make a plan for what you will do differently when you are triggered next time, it helps.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Just stoppin by to see how it went..
Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I drink two bottles no more though, going to a meeting too this week, will be my first one. I am ready for this. How was your meeting?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

P.s to my previous message, i am also in the April Class, think I saw u guys there. Im thinking of trying classes over, maybe they will work for me now im older! Good luck Javamama.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

you should join the Class of April too icandoit - they're a great bunch

D