Notices

She's already ranting? It's her first post!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Originally Posted by GodsFriend View Post
I will have 13 years by God's grace in May. The reason I am sober today is because of the new comers. I have spent the last 11 years working for half-way houses and treatment centers. Unless I continually see where I came from I may get grandiose and forget that my recovery is based on spiritual condition. I did not wake up in jail, tied down to a gurney in mental health, or come to in a strange bed. Today started great in that I am above ground. Too much to be grateful for. God keep sending the new comers it is there whining that keeps me grateful.
Godsfriend,

Your message brought such a warmth to my heart. Thank you for your love of people and desire to be so close to the life blood of AA. I applaud you!

This was very touching.
God bless you and keep you!

FreedomWon
Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

This was my day in AA recovery.. I am glad your with us..

Grateful for today.. My mom came with me to the mass for Sister Ignatia. She is one of my absolute favs in our history of AA. It was lead by a priest that worked under her at Rosary Hall , while he was finishing seminary school. Father O'Donnell is his name, and he has continued to work with alcoholics his whole life 60 years helping us drunks..

He is now 96..

And my mother got sober at Rosary Hall.. That was my introduction to AA 10 years before I ever walked in..

Grateful my mom met my grand-sponsor there also.. 51 years of sobriety and he is 88.. I havent even been alive as long as he has sober.. I love listening to him about anything...

I am so blessed to finally have entered the rooms when I did.. I was 39 and barely alive..
AA History - Sister Ignatia And A.A.
Night night..
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Originally Posted by HappyDestiny3 View Post
This was my day in AA recovery.. I am glad your with us..

Grateful for today.. My mom came with me to the mass for Sister Ignatia. She is one of my absolute favs in our history of AA. It was lead by a priest that worked under her at Rosary Hall , while he was finishing seminary school. Father O'Donnell is his name, and he has continued to work with alcoholics his whole life 60 years helping us drunks..

He is now 96..

And my mother got sober at Rosary Hall.. That was my introduction to AA 10 years before I ever walked in..

Grateful my mom met my grand-sponsor there also.. 51 years of sobriety and he is 88.. I havent even been alive as long as he has sober.. I love listening to him about anything...

I am so blessed to finally have entered the rooms when I did.. I was 39 and barely alive..
AA History - Sister Ignatia And A.A.
Night night..
Wow! This is a great example of inspirational, selfless dedication to do God's work! Sister Ignatia is my new hero! Thank you so much for sharing this! You're a vortex of awesome information!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Participation is certainly lacking in many aspects of AA. Yesterday I wanted to ridicule a group of girls there for no other reason I'm sure than the court demands it. My home group has more and more people coming in and many not actually listening just looking at the walls, whispering like the rest.

It's alot like this forum. Don't get me wrong this place is great but this place is more about allowing a person to talk and discuss thier issue than always seeking advice. You rarely see threads continue after the first day or two, as if the OP's problem went away.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Group conscience can decide not to sign the court slips.. Just because court says they have to go, doesn't mean your group has to sign the slip....

As for me though, I have no say in that stuff, other than them talking.. If they disrupt the meeting AT ALL, we will not sign it.. But , Its not up to me to decided when they decide they want it , and not need it..
Old 04-08-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
Participation is certainly lacking in many aspects of AA. Yesterday I wanted to ridicule a group of girls there for no other reason I'm sure than the court demands it. My home group has more and more people coming in and many not actually listening just looking at the walls, whispering like the rest.

It's alot like this forum. Don't get me wrong this place is great but this place is more about allowing a person to talk and discuss thier issue than always seeking advice. You rarely see threads continue after the first day or two, as if the OP's problem went away.
I'm glad you got what I was actually saying in this post. I feel in all fairness that there is something so loosy goosy in our culture today that seems to allow people to run a muck where simple civility would create such a more nurturing atmosphere.

The problem lies with us. If we do nothing, it becomes an implied consent to continue on with a less than satisfying meeting.

In one meeting I attended, a woman was speaking. One guy at the table nearest stood up and was showing someone something...and the speaker said, "Bob", sit down and be quiet, Honey." And "Bob" sat right down and was really sweet about it. The speaker never missed a beat as she continued her talk. It was really neat! No harm no foul!

We've all sat through drunk o logs that glorify the stupidity of the old life, so much so that they don't leave enough room to talk about what God's done and doing in their lives now. And that's a pity, really. I think the drunk talk is boring usually but the resolve and good news is so refreshing! Wouldn't it be cool if in the middle of all that drunk talk someone kindly reminded "Bob" to share some hope and renewal!

I think we need to kindly be like the women who told "Bob" to be quite and sit down, Honey. And if we're true to the Big Book and what was happening back then when the success rate was so dang high, I think we need to consider being more the way we originally were.

I doubt folks in the Akron group were looking at the ceiling, or whispering to someone while the meetings were going on.

Thank you again for reading this and posting.

God bless you,
FreedomWon
Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

No first and foremost , I know you like to refer alot to what they did here in Akron..

Well those first years, you had to be the very very bottom of the barrel to even get help.. We have raised the bottom very much since that time...

And then, those first group of guys that worked the steps, didnt' go out and do 12step calls on their own.. They were guided at taught.. Plus they went to talk to the wives before the alcoholic, to see if he was indeed that bad...

We are not an organization in the conventional sense of the word. There are no fees nor dues whatsoever. THE ONLY REQUIREMENT FOR MEMBERSHIP IS AN HONEST DESIRE TO STOP DRINKING. We are not allied with any particular faith, sect or denomination, nor do we oppose anyone. We simply wish to be helpful to those who are afflicted.
And if you have not read Dr. Bob and The Good Old Timers.. Please read it, you will love it..

http://www.silkworth.net/pdfDrBob/La...-July-1980.pdf
Old 04-08-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi FreedomWon

I think the perspective of looking back 10 years is bound to be different from someone in the new throws of giving up. It seems to me, however, that both can be really useful and supportive. Each by themselves are probably incomplete - the young sober person lacks the long term experience, but the old-timer lacks the fresh pain and trauma. How great that there are groups such as AA and SR that bring all these perspectives together.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
Hi FreedomWon

I think the perspective of looking back 10 years is bound to be different from someone in the new throws of giving up. It seems to me, however, that both can be really useful and supportive. Each by themselves are probably incomplete - the young sober person lacks the long term experience, but the old-timer lacks the fresh pain and trauma. How great that there are groups such as AA and SR that bring all these perspectives together.
Very nicely said Michael..

I will add this then I am done.. LOL..

"Love and Tolerance is our Code in AA" So the more anyone annoys you or doesnt do what "you" think they should be doing, you get to remember you are not the director..

Keep going and Growing..
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Group conscience can decide not to sign the court slips.. Just because court says they have to go, doesn't mean your group has to sign the slip....

As for me though, I have no say in that stuff, other than them talking.. If they disrupt the meeting AT ALL, we will not sign it.. But , Its not up to me to decided when they decide they want it , and not need it..
I hadn't any idea about the right to refuse to sign the court slips. And I can't imagine anyone in my group refusing to sign a court slip. I hang out with the old-timers, and they're very soft and kind. Perhaps not signing would be the kinder thing to do in the case of those overtly disruptive situations. But of course, that's not up to me.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
Hi FreedomWon

Well said Michael66,
I certainly agree. There is no black and white in my concerns, simply a desire to have civility that will push the program forward. I realize of course some people have not learned these skills. It grows apparent with each meeting. I do have a love for the folks that simply don't come from the same thoughts as my own, however.

Thank you for your post.
God's blessings be with you!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

No first and foremost , I know you like to refer alot to what they did here in Akron..

Well those first years, you had to be the very very bottom of the barrel to even get help.. We have raised the bottom very much since that time...

And then, those first group of guys that worked the steps, didnt' go out and do 12step calls on their own.. They were guided at taught.. Plus they went to talk to the wives before the alcoholic, to see if he was indeed that bad...

And if you have not read Dr. Bob and The Good Old Timers.. Please read it, you will love it..

http://www.silkworth.net/pdfDrBob/La...-July-1980.pdf
Thank you so much for the link to Dr. Bob and the old timers! Again, you always have the information I crave to read! I love listening to the old-timer tapes so much! It's so much more of what I feel I need.

"Well those first years, you had to be the very very bottom of the barrel to even get help.. We have raised the bottom very much since that time..."
Excellent point.

"And then, those first group of guys that worked the steps, didnt' go out and do 12step calls on their own.. They were guided at taught.. Plus they went to talk to the wives before the alcoholic, to see if he was indeed that bad..."

I think the old way was amazing.

God bless you!
Freedom

Last edited by FreedomWon; 04-10-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: corrected error in color
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post

Thanks FlyerNation3905880,
I agree with you. I know people reading this thread may think it's harsh, but I don't feel we're coming from a place of harshness. My desire is to be sober and to feel listened to if I speak and to share the respect of listening to others so they'll get well. As it is, I am reluctant to speak oftentimes because the distraction in the room makes me feel as if I could have stayed home and listened to an AA tape and simply journal my thoughts.
Blessings to you,

Freedom