Notices

Survived the first week...

Old 04-05-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Survived the first week...

Well, I decided to make this change (stop drinking) a week ago, and have suck with it. These last couple days, I've had no interest or urges to replenish my stock. That's especially remarkable since there are a couple of liquor stores on the way home, and that time of day is generally the worst for me.

Yesterday, I got out hiking again for the first time in I don't know how long. It was a welcome change from how I used to spend my evenings. I'm still sore today. lol

A few days ago I saw a counselor that I've worked with before, and was a bit disappointed in how things went. I felt that he had some good things to say, but some of my bigger concerns I felt were not addressed. I think I will be finding someone else to work with.

I'm finding that over eating is going to be a far more problematic issue that I'm going to have to tackle. I thought that once I got rid of the alcohol from my life, that everything else would fall into place. Not really true at all. I've done unncessary things several times so far, ordering pizzas and eating just about the whole thing without even thinking about it. Then I don't feel so great afterwords but the next day I do again, even without thinking about it. At least the alcohol was something that I would just evict from my life and decide to be done with it. Food, not so much.

The other thing that's a pain is insomnia. I feel though as I get more energy and get out doing more, that will probably be self correcting. I can hope, anyway!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Skyhawk. Well done on your first week.

I found that I went through many phases as I got used to my new sober life. I definitely had troubles with sleeping for a few months - that's very common. Eating became a new way to pacify myself, I think. I had a problem craving sweets especially - and eating unhealthy stuff for awhile. It all settled down, though. Be patient with yourself - you're adjusting to a new way of life. You will get there. Great that you went hiking - I didn't have much energy early on. I hope you'll find a counselor to work with who will address your issues in a more helpful way.

You're doing everything right - be proud of yourself - it will all get better.