Notices

The Changes

Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Changes

Im 2 weeks into recovery and feel much better. what is bothering me is on and off insomnia, and low mood-easily fatigued. I know this is normal, but was wondering if there is any documentation talking about this that shows the amount of time this usually lasts? I searched for links but am new to the site so didnt find one. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Speaking only for myself, I didn't start feeling "normal" until a couple months in. Give yourself time, two weeks is very early, you're still healing from alcohol's effects. If it persists or gets worse, then a visit to your doctor is in order.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's an individual thing - think about it - there are so many factors involved...how much you drank, how long, how generally healthy you are, weight, age, diet, lifestyle....

For me my sleeping issues took a couple of weeks...the fatigue took a little longer - a month or more.

If you're concerned I think the best thing to do is seek a professional opinion

D
Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish a had an answer for you, other than to say "you're not alone..."

+1 on the recommendation to seek professional assistance should it continue to be an issue. Quite a few things are used for self-medicating and wind up causing problems. You don't want to stop one bad thing only to start another...
Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies. the insomnia is on and off, being this early im sure its completely normal- other nights im getting the best sleep of my life, so im certainly moving forward.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

The first month was pretty rough for me. It seems like it gets worse before it gets better. Pretty bad depression, anger and totally no ability to concentrate. I am two months in. Depression is gone. I still have some insomnia, but it's getting better. Today is the first full day I have had no anger. Still a little paranoid here and there. I am no where near as sharp as I used to be but I guess that take months if not years to reverse. I found a chart that goes into how long mental healing takes. I will try to get that up if I can.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I forgot to mention one of the things I am most happy to see go. This week I finally stop obsessing about things I have no control over. What a relief.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
The first month was pretty rough for me. It seems like it gets worse before it gets better. Pretty bad depression, anger and totally no ability to concentrate. I am two months in. Depression is gone. I still have some insomnia, but it's getting better. Today is the first full day I have had no anger. Still a little paranoid here and there. I am no where near as sharp as I used to be but I guess that take months if not years to reverse. I found a chart that goes into how long mental healing takes. I will try to get that up if I can.
Congratulations to you, and thanks for the insight !
Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Don't be surprised if you start craving sugar. That happened about week three for me. It goes away. The nice thing about this site is there is usually someone online that knows exactly what you are talking about. Since most of us have trouble sleeping there is always someone up.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Your brain and body are healing.

Give time time. Like Dee said, we are all different and there are too many variables involved. Just know that it will all get better each day you stay stopped!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

You are fatigued because your body was used to living off alcohol. It actually adapted to it. Now it is in a process to adapt back to getting its nutrition from something other than alcohol. That just takes time, but the body will adapt back. Best thing you can do is to eat as healthy as you can and start to slowly bring in an exercise routine when your body is ready. Even if just walking.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
You are fatigued because your body was used to living off alcohol. It actually adapted to it. Now it is in a process to adapt back to getting its nutrition from something other than alcohol. That just takes time, but the body will adapt back. Best thing you can do is to eat as healthy as you can and start to slowly bring in an exercise routine when your body is ready. Even if just walking.
Thanks. Im eating well, and run everyday. Its just going to take time. im alot better already, so im very grateful.