Notices

Help! Severe DT's

Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help! Severe DT's

Hello,

I'm new and came here as a last resort. No one in my family knows I drink and I haven't told my doc so far. If I don't get help with quitting, I will have to go to rehab and the secret will come out.

I've been drinking heavily for the past many years. Two days ago I decided to quit and move on. It went well at first, until I got the DT's pretty bad. I got:

Shaking, muscle tremors.
Confusion.
Getting startled at about any noise.
Insomnia.
Sweating.

As it progressed I started to get:

Weakness.
Headaches.
Trouble seeing, losing vision partly.
Feeling I was about to die.
Paranoia.
Severe physical stress.
Almost fainting,

Then it got worse into:

Trouble speaking.
Phasing in and out.
Losing touch with the world.
Not being able to calculate simple numbers, like 16 times 8. I used to get that almost instantly.
Staring blankly, not being able to receive input.
Further and further fading away. Vision darkening, severe shaking in bed. Losing consciousness.
Feeling like I just woke up and wondering what was going on in everyday situations.

And this started to get worse. I think I had mini blackouts where I was gone for a short moment and had to orient myself back into the situations.

I've read up on DT's and I'm worried. The wisest thing I figured I could do for now is to pick up some booze and all this stuff went away. But what now? Tapering off? Would that work?

If I really have to, I will go see a doctor. And my whole secret will be out and it will ruin my life, but at least keep me alive.

Or am I worrying too much and is this something that will simply pass.

Please help!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please get someone to help you to the ER as soon as possible.
It wouldn't matter much what people find out/think if you're not around anymore.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you go to your Dr. your secret will not be out. Everything that is said or done in that office if confidential. There are some very good medications out there to help and your Dr. will know which one is best for you. Hope this helps. I had to ask for help w/my problem & it was the hardest thing I ever did, but. . . it was also the best & smartest thing I ever did. No shame in asking for help. We all need it once in a while. Good Luck!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes you should be worried.

Get emergency medical care immediately. This isn't something to mess about with.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everyone here will concur with the above advice. Always best to talk with your doctor, and go to ER if you're having the symptoms you mentioned.

Good you want to stop drinking, just do it safely. Keep in touch with us and let us know how you're doing.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You really have to see your doctor! The symptoms you described can put your life at risk and then your secret will be out anyway. It is much better to get the medical assistance you need to detox safely and to get into a recovery program. Manning up to your addiction and taking the necessary steps to address it is so much more admirable than to continue to try and fool others for the sake of self-imposed secrecy. You will most likely find that your friends and family already have suspicions and will be supportive and relieved that you are seeking assistance and support. The sure way to ruin your life is to continue doing what is not working. CALL YOUR DOCTOR!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry--that came off a less caring than I meant it to.
What I should have said is: Please get medical help. Detoxing off of alcohol is potentially very dangerous.
As tfrench said: Confidentiality is a cornerstone of the medical profession.
Try to get some help so you can safely detox, as if you are experiencing symptoms that severe, you may require some medication/supervision to come off alcohol safely.
Sorry I was too quick to post.
Best to you and your recovery. You are making a fantastic decision.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dude

I used to be terrified about people finding out too, but once you have quit drinking and moved on that won't be a concern anymore. It's amazing how much shame sobriety can take away. So basically don't let that thought stop you from seeking help. How come no one knows about your drinking? Do you live alone? Best thing you can do right now is talk to your doctor. It is confidential so there is no commitment to 'coming out' by telling them. Glad you are here x
Old 04-05-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey man, please get some help as soon as you can. I appreciate your obviously immense willpower to get yourself this far, but alcohol detox really is not to be messed with.

Nobody need know about you getting medical help, please just think about it.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

Hey... go to ER... It's friday, but please go, you should be scared enough to go...this is real (I was scared when I went into detox, It turned out I had alcoholic hepatitis and malnutricion) Please go... don't be another statistic, I'm rooting for you xxx
Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I tried to get up and walk to the emergency ward but I'm in too bad a state so I dialed the emergency number instead. They're on their way. I'm keeping this thread open so they can read through it as well when they get here.

What is also really worrisome is that in response to the DT's I started drinking to get rid of them and I'm now a quarter into my second bottle of wine and I'm just now starting to feel better and lucid. More lucid than during withdrawal. That is really a problem.

So I'm fine now regarding the symptoms I described before. But I know what will happen if I quit again. And things will be devastating as well if I just keep drinking.

They should be here any moment. I've accepted reality and need to "come out" to my family, regardless of confidentiality. They need to know and will probably be supportive anyway.

It really worries me that I can think clearly and lucidly and am able to do the right think while being drunk though.

Anyway, they should be here any minute, the hospital is across the street. I'll let you know but rest assured that I did call for help.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for letting us know - I was really worried about you. Please be totally honest with the medics, the ER staff and your doctor. They can't fully help you without knowing the truth.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My thoughts are with you x
Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Justsomedude - it takes some real courage to do that. Well done and thanks for letting us know, be as honest as possible with them.

We'd love to have you posting here more often
Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Zee

Thats the thing with alcohol, It may make you lucid for a period, then you are back to square one.... detoxing is an arse (2-3 days) hospital may give you valium or similar to reduce the chance of DT's or worse (muscle relaxent)... you will crave sweets and chocolate (I didn't believe it either!) then you will post here again and be able to tell us all how happy you are xxx Ps, don't get addicted to chocolate... it's evil! xxx
Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes justsomedude you did the right thing!! Medical attention will be the best thing. Prayers and positive thought sent our way. Please let us know how you are doing when you're able.

Take care of you

Sophie
Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you called for help justsomedude - keep us updated
be 100% straight up and honest with the Drs. - it's in your best interests

D
Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
instant

Justsomedude
Glad you called for help
hope to hear from you soon
Old 04-05-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Looking forward to hearing the outcome, Justsomedude. I'm so glad you listened to the others and got yourself some help. Hope you'll be back to share your journey to a sober life - we all care.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This was easier than I thought. The ambulance arrived very shortly after my previous post and they took it very seriously. I still have some stickers on me from one of the tests, the ones they attach the wires to.

My heart was fine, my blood pressure too. I showed them what I had drunk and showed them the list of symptoms I listed here. They gave me some medication to help with the withdrawal.

They recommended I did not share details of this on forums, or participate on them at all. Well, at least I won't be sharing details of my treatment. The danger would be that people would expect the same treatment since everyone is different.

There's a plan, which I can't go into detail on. But in general, I have been told to sleep the current drunk off. They were surprisingly not even opposed to me finishing what I have left. It's a lot but not enough to cause immediate problems apparently.

The drug they gave me should diminish the withdrawal symptoms significantly to an acceptable level. I have gotten a couple more pills from them which should keep me stable.

They want me to take them and come in for an appointment the day after tomorrow when I'm sobered up, well-rested and hopefully DT free thanks to the medication. From there on we will see how to take care of it all.

It wasn't life threatening, but in a more severe form it might have been.

And I could call again any time I felt something was going wrong.

So I'll follow their advice. They did strongly recommend I wouldn't post here again and I can see their point of view. I'll see what I'll do.

In any case, if you never hear from me again, it means I'm fine. I'm getting the help I need.

Many, many thanks to those who supported me here!