Notices

Spring weather, cravings and anxiety

Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Spring weather, cravings and anxiety

I've had some very weather-related alcohol cravings, thinking about the summer nights, baseball games, drinking outside, outdoor restaurants, the 4th of July... it's difficult.

I also get a ton of anxiety and stress when the weather changes

Anyone else?
Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been anxious for spring to get here so I can spend time outside.

You'll have to develop coping strategies for when summer cravings hit you. It's possible to enjoy all those summer activities without drinking - I do.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am working on building up my sobriety time to help ward off the cravings you just listed. Now is a good time to find replacement beverages as the go-to drink during the summertime activities, as summer I feel will present a whole host of temptations! Good thing you are thinking ahead so that you can have a plan in place!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think anyone can make an excuse to drink. Stress, to cold weather, warm outside, depressed... Holidays.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so glad you posted this because I am feeling the same way today! I live in the northeast today and when driving home was thinking of how I used to love the first decent days of spring in the air, lighter later and I missed sitting on my porch drinking. BUT I thought thru the drink and realized that day/night would also involve me blacking out, texting something embarassing to someone or eating in a blackout which could lead to choking to death. Morbid I know lol But a real possibility if I drink again.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

northeast too, not today
Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had the same cravings; as I was riding the bus home from work, I thought about doing a neighborhood pub crawl with a beer or three at each neighborhood bar.

Play the tape.

Instead of laying in bed hungover and sick from withdrawal, I'll be sitting down to a grilled salmon dinner with dessert, and laying down for a restful sleep. Instead of a Friday night binge, I can be productive or relax all weekend. Sobriety offers so many more choices.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Summertime used to be filled with day time drinking for me on the weekends, little get aways with friends, at the beach. I have come to accept that there is a certain amount of trade off for sobriety. I won't have a poolside cocktail, but I'll be a much more respectable person. I won't be at the oceanside bars this summer, but I'll be exercising more and hiking in the mornings. I'll save more money and be able to get myself ahead of where I am. I might miss some parties, but I won't have to wake up embarrassed about doing something stupid. I think its a fair trade to be sober, and I'll take it over boozing.