Notices

How to overcome alcohol cravings

Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question How to overcome alcohol cravings

Hello, my name is David and I am a 27 year old man with a serious drinking problem, and possibly bordering on alcoholism. I am struggling not only in containing my drinking to a reasonable intake on a weekly basis - with cravings for at least 8-10 pints taken hold every second day. I am becoming more and more sad within my own life. I feel depressed, I feel I cannot leave my bedroom, I am struggling to both maintain and make new relationships with people, I am struggling to control my weight - and I cannot find an descent outlet for venting my frustrations in real life, so I'm hoping that by registering here I can get the help I need.

I will go more into more detail as this thread goes on as to my problems and the causes of my problems. However, my first question for my fellow forum members here, is how does one overcome alcohol cravings? They are so powerful, and I am sick of them - I always give into them, even at times when I either don't feel like drinking, or when I know that's it's own continuing the vicious cycle of alcohol addiction. I'm a student, so therefore I'm naturally on a limited budget. I'm also trying to lose a lot of weight. I'm trying to pay off fees and save up for other important expenses. However, I feel alcohol addiction is not ruining my mental health, but it's ruining my prospects for a better future.

Pleas could you help out and give advice as to how to beat alcohol cravings, and explain how you beat them, or beat them in the past - so that I can get some good tips here. Another reason I come here, is that while many relatives and friends understand my addiction, they truly cannot help, because they do not I feel understand the nature of alcohol addiction. So it would be good to get tips from fellow alcohol addicts and alcoholics (present and former) as how to overcome these powerful cravings which I face at least 3 times a week.

Thank you for your time and help.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

Everybody craves. Some crave but don't act on them but feel them, knowing that they will pass. One day at a time.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

The easiest way to deal with alcohol cravings is to stop drinking. The cravings will diminish and then disappear. As long as you drink, the cravings will remain. When you get a craving do whatever will take your mind off things. Listen to music, play with your pet, take a walk, call someone, whatever it takes.

It's also important to know that alcohol is a depressant and stopping drinking could likely improve your mood. If you were depressed before you began drinking, then maybe talking to your dr could be helpful.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I take my cravings to an AA meeting and leave them on the table.

I have found over the years that not only don't I have to drink but life in general keeps getting more "natural". My insanity is being treated.

If you are a "hard drinker" you may be able to "think yourself" to abstention. If you are an alcoholic like me your best thinking will get you drunk again in the end. AA will be your salvation.

How has your thinking worked for you in the past?

You may want to attend a few "open" AA meetings in your area where you will hear speakers share their story. Open meetings are open to the public and you will not have to participate, just observe.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-05-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep yourself busy when those cravings hit. And remember; just because you feel a craving doesn't mean you have to act on it. The more you remain sober, the less the cravings will bother you.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

At 11 months sober(actually, to the day) I can give some insight on this. The best way to fight cravings is to acknowledge that the addictive part of your brain is trying to trick the sober part of your brain into drinking. Once you realize that, and realize that cravings usually only last a few minutes, you can get through them a bit easier.

Also a good way to get less cravings is to actually quit drinking for a longer period of time than a few days. I know they are pretty much constant for the first few weeks. Slowly and slowly they do get less intense and less frequent. At 11 months now I usually get a few, small cravings a week that last only a couple minutes. Sure a few times a month I do get cravings that are still intense, and last longer, but it is easier to ignore them as time goes on.

Time doesn't really heal all wounds, it just makes the wounds smaller and less noticeable.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi David, I agree with all of the above and will add that one thing that helped me immensely is gaining an understanding of "why" I was still having cravings when I had committed to sobriety. The following link was posted on another thread here a month or so ago and was another "aha" moment for me. Pleasure Unwoven Full Movie Documentary by Kevin McCauley - YouTube It is an easy watch clip and provides an understanding of the AV (addictive voice) that many here refer to. I hope it provides you with some insight to recognize where the cravings are coming from so that you can consciously dismiss them.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If I ate something somewhat filling, it helped immensely with physical cravings. Also, H.A.L.T. Don't get to hungry, angry, lonely or tired.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome AlcoStudent86 - some good suggestions here

I think supports important - you might also find this technique of use - it helped me

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 04-05-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll only add that taking L-glutamine several times a day has helped with cravings. It stabilizes blood sugar.