Notices

Hair Loss and Alcoholism? One Person's Opinion

Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Geek033113, I can understand what your going through with your hair loss that I started to lose my hair in my early 20s. I do have a family history of hair loss on my dad side. My dad went bald at the age of 17. My mom side is not really bad for the guys. But it is gene that you get from your family that you will lose your hair. Stress can cause hair lose too but it should grow back if you don't lose by stress in the first place.

Heavy drinking of alcohol will not cause hair loss. Anyway, the only few drugs on the market is rogain and propecia. I've been taking Propecia for over 10 years now and I was on of the lucky ones that I started to use Propecia when I started to lose my hair because I gain some of my hair back after using it. Talk to your doctor about it. Its a drug that if I didn't start taking it then I would be bald today.

Propecia is very expensive which is about $70 a month for but a few months ago the patient just ran out and you can get the generic for a $4 to $10.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hair and nails are affected by your diet .(you are what you eat). Alcohol robs your body, making absorbing certain vitamins and nutrients more difficult....and your liver is working overtime filtering out all the poison.
Although action is correct about hereditary hair loss and propecia, female hair loss factors in hormonal changes too.
I'm sure your doctors are doing what they think is best, and now you are stopped and have more reason for staying stopped. You might want to offer them the information about your alcohol consumption so they can take the info. into consideration as they treat you, stop having them play guessing games. They won't judge you, but it might change your treatment plan.
I do hope you see some growth soon. I would be upset too.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Geek033113 View Post

I started drinking years ago as an escape from the stress of work and marriage...each of which, I still have. But when my dad died in June 2011, I started drinking a bottle of white wine each evening without fail. .
Welcome Geek. I started drinking white wine few years back, starting with a glass a night, and over the years progressed to 1 to 2 bottles per night. I too wonder how I got here. The last couple of years have been the worst (after my dad died May 2011) I was in deep pain and drank my way through the grief. Sober 6 weeks now. Hard work, but well worth it. Just realizing now, my hair has indeed got thinner
Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcoholism and Hair Loss.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am have also been losing my hair for the last several years from my drinking. I have lost probably more than half of the hair that I used to have. There is no hereditary reason for it. I've done some research on the matter and I am nearly positive it is due to my drinking, lack of vitamins because of the drinking, and raised estrogen levels. I am on day 6 today and have the same hopes that with time, it will grow back. In my case, from my own research, I believe it to be telogen effluvium.
I am glad to hear from the people who have had more time sober and see that all of them have seen much improvement since recovery.
Also, sugarbear, thank you for posting the link.
Best wishes to you, Geek. Please keep us posted and stay strong! This is just ONE (be it a good one!) reason on a huge list of reasons to stay sober.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Have you been checked for B Vitamin deficiency (specifically B12) and uv had liver function tests presumably? I have been addicted to opiate painkillers for 3 years and suffered major hair loss, about 60%. My Dr kept telling me it wasnt the opiates necessarily but that out of wack / overloaded liver would cause hair loss. Then I had blood work done and we discovered I had Vit B12 deficiency. I took oral supplements but no joy. My Dr then did an immuno blood screen to see if I had problems actually absorbing B12 from diet or supplements and it came back that I did. I now have a shot once a month and my hair is slowly coming back, in addition I'v just kicked the pills so that should help my liver too. In short what Fandy says is true, alcoholism and drug addiction effects the liver filtering the poison in your body properly and this has a direct effect on the absorption of nutrients.

Last edited by fruitymarzipan; 04-19-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-19-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fruitymarzipan View Post
Have you been checked for B Vitamin deficiency (specifically B12) and uv had liver function tests presumably? I have been addicted to opiate painkillers for 3 years and suffered major hair loss, about 60%. My Dr kept telling me it wasnt the opiates necessarily but that out of wack / overloaded liver would cause hair loss. Then I had blood work done and we discovered I had Vit B12 deficiency. I took oral supplements but no joy. My Dr then did an immuno blood screen to see if I had problems actually absorbing B12 from diet or supplements and it came back that I did. I now have a shot once a month and my hair is slowly coming back, in addition I'v just kicked the pills so that should help my liver too. In short what Fandy says is true, alcoholism and drug addiction effects the liver filtering the poison in your body properly and this has a direct effect on the absorption of nutrients.
As for me, I haven't been to the doctor in forever... What you're saying sounds a little scarey. I certainly hope there is no major liver damage. Right now I am taking Hair Skin and Nails vitamins and trying to eat a healthy, nutrient rich diet.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

NotsoIvory: Oh sweetie dont worry, even a small amount of overloaded liver can cause hair loss, and the liver is the only organ in the body that regenerates so it even if it is damaged it will get better. As for the vitamin b12 deficiency, it is a chronic nutrient absorption deficiency that people can suffer from for all sorts of other reasons, and you can be born with it. So whilst all these things are related there can be other explanations too. I s'pose to a lay person it does sound scary, im a nurse so i kind of take it all in my stride!! But i would get some bloodwork done, then you have all the information and can move forward. You might just need something simple like some particular vitamins. We r in the April class together, arnt we!? Look at Ladybug2, she is feeling loads releived since she had all her bloodwork checked. Hugs xx

Last edited by fruitymarzipan; 04-20-2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: missed something