Notices

what to do on first day sober?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what to do on first day sober?

this is my first post and first day sober (so far) 6pm here. Just wondering what you guys did on your first day sober. I have the day off work and was thinking i'll just drink lots of water and rewatch the sopranos.

I have been trying to drink moderately for a couple years, but just can't seem to do it. I can take a day off without withdrawal, but the drinking is just screwing up aspects of my life for example:

been struggling to lose weight for past couple years, before I drank I was always lean.

I wake up feeling depressed and not remotely excited for the day.

flunked out of college, with a semester left (i'm back now though)

I'm not saying i'll never drink again, but hoping for a month and if i feel better then maybe another month, then maybe forever.

thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sleep. Eat. Contemplate the universe. Sleep. Eat some more. Be kind to yourself and listen to your body. If you start feeling weird see a doctor as withdrawals are nothing to take lightly and can be serious for some.

Oh, and read SR a lot! It helps pass the time and there is so much support here.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My first day I was at work, then called my food friend and told him I was going to AA. Then I went for 120 days in a row. I read the big book. I went over and over the 11 steps. I kept busy doing things I did not want to do while drinking. I studied for exams, painted, cleaned house. I cooked and started to wlr out as well. Big again not all on the first day. Keep busy
Old 04-04-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Eat some food. Watch a movie, hang out on here. Read a book. Go to sleep early. Anything other than consume alcohol.....Personally, I stayed close to the forum and read the night away.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Magnum! Congrats on your decision.

I did pretty much the same thing that you're doing, I drank lots of water (sparkling with cranberry juice and chamomile tea) and watched lots of movies and my favorite old tv series. I put a little more time into cooking better meals. I also pass time reading here on SR, as it's extremely helpful and supportive.

Like you, I had also gained weight from drinking (added 20 pounds to my originally slim/fit frame). Into my 2nd month of sobriety I lost 8 pounds. That did of course include exercising and eating right, but that never worked before when I was drinking.

It's also really great to wake up feeling fresh and awake.

Great decision Magnum!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnwFlower View Post
Welcome to SR Magnum! Congrats on your decision.

I did pretty much the same thing that you're doing, I drank lots of water (sparkling with cranberry juice and chamomile tea) and watched lots movies and my favorite old tv series. I put a little more time into cooking better meals. I also pass time reading here on SR, as it's extremely helpful and supportive.

Like you, I had also gained weight from drinking (added 20 pounds to my originally slim/fit frame). After my 2nd month of sobriety I lost 8 pounds. That did of course include exercising and eating right, but that never worked before when I was drinking.

It's also really great to wake up feeling fresh and awake.

Great decision Magnum!
Thanks! The time is actually passing pretty fast on SR (glad i randomly found this place) I have to keep rewinding Sopranos because i'm looking on here and not watching it. I notice my face looking very fat from all my drinking, my stomach doesn't even stick out much, but my face looks very fat.

and during these past couple years I have been exercising a lot, but not really seeing any results because I'll reward myself with some beer that night etc.... really frustrating actually
Old 04-04-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some like to keep busy, some like to goof off - take whatever approach you like Magnum

Checking in to SR can't hurt either way

welcome aboard

D
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by magnum102 View Post
I notice my face looking very fat from all my drinking, my stomach doesn't even stick out much, but my face looks very fat.
Ahh yes, my face became fat too. That part was really scaring me. Someone here on SR mentioned it happening as well, comparing it to a kind of distorted look. (I can assume the damage it was doing internally.) My face is finally getting back to normal which began improving for me after about a month and a half of no alcohol. The face bloat and weight gain were enough to scare me from ever drinking again.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was sick for a few days, so I stayed in bed. I didn't feel well enough to read, so I watched TV and listened to audiobooks.

I quit drinking three weeks ago, and my face is already losing its puffy look. I'm hoping it continues to get better. God, I looked awful. Moon face for sure.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was bothered with terrible anxiety so I paced the house and walked the dogs. I couldn't relax at all so I just kept going. So glad I don't have to feel that bad ever again. And neither do you.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I was bothered with terrible anxiety so I paced the house and walked the dogs. I couldn't relax at all so I just kept going. So glad I don't have to feel that bad ever again. And neither do you.

only real withdrawal symptoms i have now are depression, lack of appetite and extreme water retention (been drinking water all day and pissed like once) also a bit of anxiety and confusion
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR I kept busy and talked a lot but as has been said do what suits you instead of picking up, I also posted here a lot on day one two and for a long long time, it did a lot more than help.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How's it going so far? I'm on Day Two, and I'm not feeling GREAT but it could be worse. And it might yet get worse; for me the worst days are usually 3 through 5. Here's hoping I don't ever have to go through this crap again.

I like the idea of having multiple things available to do, because I become irritable and can suddenly get fed up with something I thought I'd enjoy. Also I have a lot of nervous energy and I like having things to DO as opposed to just vegging and watching TV. But everyone is different. Plus my nerves are so raw that the stuff I usually like to do (like play guitar or mandolin) are just not feasible; my hands aren't shaking but I'm a clumsy mess at the moment.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Talking to others at least on the phone helped me. I phoned the AA helpine and talked to them a few days day 1 2 & 3
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I slept through the first few weeks. I am so glad it is over and so grateful I made it this far. Welcome!! The only way you can screw up detox is to drink again. Whatever it takes to stay sober is the rule of the day.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InNeedOfGrace View Post
How's it going so far? I'm on Day Two, and I'm not feeling GREAT but it could be worse. And it might yet get worse; for me the worst days are usually 3 through 5. Here's hoping I don't ever have to go through this crap again.

I like the idea of having multiple things available to do, because I become irritable and can suddenly get fed up with something I thought I'd enjoy. Also I have a lot of nervous energy and I like having things to DO as opposed to just vegging and watching TV. But everyone is different. Plus my nerves are so raw that the stuff I usually like to do (like play guitar or mandolin) are just not feasible; my hands aren't shaking but I'm a clumsy mess at the moment.
is first day the worst or second, i dont feel too shaky, just upset stomach, confusion. I'm worried about having work tomorrow morning though.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was sick as hell for 3 days. I couldn't do anything. At all. Finally felt OK at 7 days, wonderful at 14 days, etc. It just keeps getting better.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ate a lot of comfort food and drank a lot of liquids. Slept, researched alcoholism online. Ate more comfort food. Slept more. Repeat, rinse.