Notices

worried

Old 05-06-2004, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gracey

worried

I just poured my heart out into a message and it wouldnt let me submit it........

My main question was if your husband is an alcoholic for nine years and has not drank for two weeks is it okay for him after two weeks to buy non-alcoholic beer??? I told him it was a step backward and we argued for two nights in a row until i gave in and said go ahead and drink the sh***&^.

Please help

Old 05-06-2004, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Re: worried

Breec, Welcome. Sorry about the technical difficulties. I'm an addict in recovery and alcohol was perhaps my favorite toy towards the end. My experience with "near beer" was that of deception. It gave my breath the necessary stench to cover up the mickeys of vodka I was consuming in hiding all over the house. And there is alcohol in these things. Very little, granted, but still there.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

WE ALCOHOLICS ARE A SCHEEMING LOT :suspect:
SAME HERE,DAN.I AGREE GREAT COVER UP!
I MIGHT SUGGEST THE AL-ANON FORUM.
THEY HAVE BEEN WHERE YOUR AT!
GODSPEED,MY FRIEND.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gracey

that is exactly what I told him and he laughed at me.........I want to help him, I love him very much and want our marriage to work.....We our going to our first counseling appointment this Saturday, and I am hoping that this will help him.....he only has one non-alcoholic beer left and I told him on the phone today not to buy anymore.......he was very angry with me.........he says I am telling him what to do and no one is going to tell him what to do........He doesnt drink anything but beer, but he is only about 165 pounds and he can put away 12 beers no problem. I have been with him so long I can pretty much tell you how many beers he has had by the way he is acting.......If he dont quit drinking I dont think we are going to survive.......and I am very scared

Old 05-06-2004, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...splay.php?f=24
Definitly check this board out and post there. A lot of women with a shared experience will offer good advice. And some men too I am sure. Inasmuch as your husband recognizes and accepts that he is an alcoholic, any amount of alcohol should be avoided.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY BREEC ,TRY THE AL-ANON FORUM,FOLKS THAT HAVE DEALT WITH ALCOHOLICS IN THEIR LIFE.MIGHT BE JUST WHAT YOU NEED RIGHT NOW.
GIVE IT A TRY!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RE-member- DONT QUIT!

I agree with what the others have said, he is probably just fooling himself. But the main point is you can't control him, he is going to have to find this out in his own way. we addicts have a tendency to not listen to others, very stubborn bread. You can't fix him but you can do something for yourself and find relief from your pain by checking out those alanon and naranon boards like has been suggested. good luck to you

mike
Old 05-06-2004, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i hate soda. i drink coffee black, tea straight. i love the taste of beer more than soda or anything else. i find that after work(constuction) i need something. a good cold NA beer hits the spot. it justs satisfies the thirst for that "cold one". after that i eat dinner and no more want. what's to want?
but, with alcohol beer the buzz starts so you want more. i'm new to this but so far so good. if this is his first time quiting, he may have failed already and masking the breath with the NA beer. try not to nag him, and just get into head about how proud you are of him for being so good about not drinking. eventually he'll feel so bad about fooling you(like me) that he'll ether sabotage himself by coming home like normal but loaded. then when caught, it will sink in how far out of control he really is.
my wife is quite straight up with all her feelings, so it was touph i'm sure for her to let me go till i realized that i was not fooling her, but myself. then i felt like ????. but what was good was she let ME figure it out, verses her figureing it out.
anyway, this really helped me(us). she also went alanon and the such.
my experience.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!

Do stop by and visit our Al-Anon forum for YOU! NA beer in fact has alcohol. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck it must be a duck, and ducks still quack! It's my opinion anything remotly close to a beer, is still a beer and I'm playing mental hopscotch with myself in pursuing the use of my vice. Simply this, he's just not ready.

I'm an alcoholic, and anything resembling a beer, drink, cocktail, fizzy fruity drink, is just off limits if I wish to remain sober. Good luck, glad you found us.