Notices

What on earth do I do now?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What on earth do I do now?

I am nine months sober this month.
Just moved in with my sister to escape poor living conditions.
I have spent the last umpteen years drinking myself into a hole.
The proverbial tornado has passed and cleaning up the mess is proving to be more than a challenge. My first issue im having is employment.
No one will hire me and i cannot say I blame them.I have no license
and a criminal record of misdemeanors 2 folders thick. Who hires people like me?? Every time I sit down to start mopping up the mess on paper it is overwhelming. I just look at it and think ,"what hope is there for me?" on paper I look like a hardened thug.
ANY feedback will be uber appreciated.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Are you active in AA by any chance? I'd say to call the hotline and explain your dilemma and ask if there are any resources you can explore in finding work. I wish you the best.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Misdemeanors aren't the end of the world. I know people with felony OWI who work. Try looking at things differently. I know it's hard. But you are sober and now you can really help your situation. Great job on 9 months! I have 6 months in about a week.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First of all many congrats on your 9 months! I'm sure there must be local or state agencies that help place people who have a record? I'm sure there must be someway you will be able to find some kind of employment. Be proud of yourself and don't give up trying. Things will work out eventually. Sending good wishes your way!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are incentives to employers to hire people with records. (I.e., they can get a tax break and such.) So it's not impossible, you just have to do some networking to figure out how to get into a program like that. Ask your local and state agencies as well as Goodwill or similar outfits, as well as AA folks.

Congratulations on your 9 months. I don't think I've gone that long without a drink since I was eleven years old. :-/ See, you're in better shape than you think!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a team of three. All sober, clean records, good cv.
Two of them have terrible attitudes and when they move
on I will recruit for enthusiasm and can-do mentality. Not
everyone is recruiting for what looks good on paper. Keep
hunting, there's a great job out there with your name on
it.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Keep in mind that it's illegal in many cases for employers to discriminate against someone because of a criminal record, unless the criminal activity directly relates to the job. For instance, convicted sex offenders can't get jobs requiring supervision of children. Or someone with multiple DUI's can be eliminiated from driving jobs such as being a pilot or a school bus driver. Not suggesting you have any of these, just using them as examples.

Also know that your resume and cover letter never includes convictions. Most times those are only looked for in the final stages of an interview during the background check. Having a good attitude and good cover letter writing skills definitely helps. There are lots of places you can go and get free advice on how to do this.

Best of luck, i've been unemployed before and it sucks. I didn't have sobriety then, you have that now - and that's a BIG plus.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Try sticking with small companies or local businesses when looking for work. They tend not to do background checks as much as bigger companies. Don't get down on yourself over the work problem. Lots of people are having trouble getting a job- even those who actually do have their lives together lol Stay positive! Good luck!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Why not try starting your own buisness and be the master of your own destiny... Well done on nine months!!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Im still unemployed at the moment however I appreciate all the responses.
Yes im active in AA. It really helps me to hear from others like me so thank you all for the encouragement. Its just so easy to slip into an existential funk.
If it want for my bi-weekly meetings and this site I would feel even more alone.

THANKS ALL
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know that many companies in my area hire people who are in halfway houses. They're usually retail stores or restaurants. Maybe you could try calling one of them or, as InNeedofGrace mentioned, A.A.

I'm in the process of seeking employment, so I understand the anxiety.

Best of luck to you!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Mander)))))

You might want to check out your state's vocational rehabilitation department. They have tests that you can take as to what you would do really great at, and then they help you find a job. And if your state is one that views Alcoholism and/or Addiction as a disability, then if what you test for requires more education, the Voc Rehab will arrange for you to get the schooling you require and then still help to place you in a job.

The other thing to do is sign up at some of the Temp Agencies, like Manpower, Kelly Service, etc The trick with those is every day at 4pm you call the person you have been assigned to. EVERY DAY. What happens is they do get tired of you calling and they will give a temporay job. Do your best on that job, then go back to calling every day.

What happens is when they start to get good reports back from the employer you get more and more work, and just possibly the longer you are at a Temp position the employer may want to hire you. Most Temp Agencies in their contract that you sign, says you must work for the Temp agency for 8 weeks on the job and then can become an employee of the company you are working for. in my travels around the country, having been married to military twice, that is what I would do, and I ended up with some pretty damn good jobs.

It is how I got into Huges Aircraft, Maverick Systems Division. I was on Temporary Assignment for 4 weeks, then they extended to 6 weeks, then asked me if I would like to become a permanent employee and I said YES, so I worked 2 more weeks for Kelly Services, (that was also 56 days of my 90 day probation at Huges, lol) and then became a Hughes employee at almost double what I was being paid by Kelly Services.

Temp Agencies are a great way to go, in my book!

Hope the above helps a bit.

Love and hugs,
Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mander, I'm sending you a link via PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Mander, I'm going to be a bit blunt here, I hope you don't mind.

There is something about your situation I find shocking, and that is you have been a member of SR for four years and these are your only two posts.

A lot of finding work is "networking," communicating with others. You can practice that here at SR--we probably won't find you a job, but you never know! I kind of keep tabs on the other SR members who live nearby. For example, I certainly could ask Newby1961 about AA meetings if I am ever in Seattle...

So please post some more! Get active!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile

Yeah I might have created account four years ago I honestly dont remember because I WASNT SOBER = )

Been sober for 9 months now as stated before.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks fot that information Laurie!!
Also thank you for the awesome story you shared that is the kind of thing I love and need to hear!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Mander. Have you thought about going back to school? There are plenty of programs that offer assistance to pay for the education. Is your local bakery hiring? How about the local coffee shop?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Have you applied for jobs and had interviews? Or are you just assuming no one will hire you? You have shelter, and you have food, so now you need some income. You can clean up this mess, its just a matter of being focused and organized.

First thing, Get a Job. Apply everywhere in walking or public transport distance. If you can't find leads for a job, join a church (even if you're not religious) Church goers always have leads to good jobs, and often will volunteerly be used as a reference. Also you'll find many business owners in the churches, who'll hire from their church. This may take awhile, you can't walk in and ask for a Job and expect someone to offer one. You'll have to be active in discussion and social networking inside the church. Offer some minor landscaping services to the chuch goers, lawn mowing, cleaning, clearing etc.

Get creative.. But right now you need income, and a job is a job is a job. Doesn't matter where or for how much (as long as its not something sketchy like telemarketing on commission)
Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am also just over 9 months sober and struggling with the same factors. I do not have a criminal record but my credit rating and the end of my last job has left my work history sketchy. I continue to get overlooked and turned down for 'regular' jobs. Sound familiar?

One thing I have done is try and find a way to cobble together some money, and save enough so that I can live and volunteer in a new environment. Right now I'm working on a "work-for-stay" opportunity that will allow me to live rent free in exchange for my work. It's going to be a one-month chance, and I feel like getting this kind of experience will be worth it and much needed in order to make connections, network, and possibly land something more concrete by summer's end.

It's tough starting from scratch, aint it? Not to mention the feeling like you're "doing it alone" most of the time. I feel your pain. Good luck, I hope you can find something to do that will make your days and time worthwhile. Congrats on the 9 months!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

congrats on 9months. I'm sure that feels really good. I can recall my first year of sobriety and I was looking for a job. It was very frustrating. Don't give up on yourself. Check into becoming a nanny for awhile or house cleaning with some local company. There are many different jobs you can get just until you regain your level of confidence and seek something more suitable to your liking. The one thing you cannot do is give up.