Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enough is Enough

I am so sick and tired of:
hiding my drinking.
lying about my drinking.
wasting money on drinking
wasting my daughters childhood on drinking
living w/my husband and stepchildren but can leave bc he would get custody due to my drinking
waking up, spending all day getting over a hangover
being fat and miserable bc of all the alcohol consumption the past 10 years
not being able to live a normal life
depression due to drinking
anxiety due to drinking

I want to stop and I AM GOING TO STOP. I finally actually want to, and that makes me feel great.
I can get my life together, lose weight, get a job, save up and make great memories with my daughter.
I went to the grocery store, so the house is fully stocked. No need for nonsense trips. I also have a full tank of gas, which will last me several weeks since I never go anywhere. My friends never have time to go out, so I don't have to worry about how to get out of going anywhere. My husband doesn't like to drink, so there will be no alcohol in the house. My family likes to drink, but I don't have to worry about anything bc they never ask us to be around.
I have a lot of books downloaded on my nook that I can catch up on to keep me occupied and I have a craft room full of stuff that needs to be made. Not to mention, all the reading I'll be doing on SR.

My daughters 5th birthday party is going to be on May 4th. I cannot wait to say I've been sober for one month, on that day. Instead of drunk during the party.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GreenBeans View Post
I am so sick and tired of:
hiding my drinking.
lying about my drinking.
wasting money on drinking
wasting my daughters childhood on drinking
living w/my husband and stepchildren but can leave bc he would get custody due to my drinking
waking up, spending all day getting over a hangover
being fat and miserable bc of all the alcohol consumption the past 10 years
not being able to live a normal life
depression due to drinking
anxiety due to drinking

I want to stop and I AM GOING TO STOP. I finally actually want to, and that makes me feel great.
I can get my life together, lose weight, get a job, save up and make great memories with my daughter.
I went to the grocery store, so the house is fully stocked. No need for nonsense trips. I also have a full tank of gas, which will last me several weeks since I never go anywhere. My friends never have time to go out, so I don't have to worry about how to get out of going anywhere. My husband doesn't like to drink, so there will be no alcohol in the house. My family likes to drink, but I don't have to worry about anything bc they never ask us to be around.
I have a lot of books downloaded on my nook that I can catch up on to keep me occupied and I have a craft room full of stuff that needs to be made. Not to mention, all the reading I'll be doing on SR.

My daughters 5th birthday party is going to be on May 4th. I cannot wait to say I've been sober for one month, on that day. Instead of drunk during the party.
Welcome GB, and great decision! Sounds like you've done a lot of the necessary preps to quit - is it day 1 today? The only other thing that could help is a visit to the doctor just to make sure everything is OK and to let them know. Going cold turkey after 10 years can be potentially dangerous. Stay with us here at SR and let us know how it goes, do you have any other support plans for when you quit besides SR (AA, AVRT, SMART, etc.. )
Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

GreenBeans you have just made the best decision of you life
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, Scott and JC.
Today is day one for me and I'm so excited to be saying that. I'll contact my doctor and let her know what is going on. It's time for me to make a visit anyway, so that works out well.
I haven't decided on any groups at the moment. I have a ton of books downloaded, one I have already finished, on alcoholism. True stories from people who have lived this h*ll, too. Very emotional reading. I will read about the groups you listed above and see which would be right for me. Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by GreenBeans View Post
Thank you, Scott and JC.
Today is day one for me and I'm so excited to be saying that. I'll contact my doctor and let her know what is going on. It's time for me to make a visit anyway, so that works out well.
I haven't decided on any groups at the moment. I have a ton of books downloaded, one I have already finished, on alcoholism. True stories from people who have lived this h*ll, too. Very emotional reading. I will read about the groups you listed above and see which would be right for me. Thank you for the suggestions.
Good news, just be honest with your doc - they've seen it all and then some.

I am not an active AA participant but if you are into reading the Big Book is also a great resource even if you don't join AA. It's available online for free as well.

And of course, stick with SR - there is usually someone here just about all hours, and plenty of reading to be found.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

and just wait until 189 days, boy, the excitement really starts
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Reading the big book is what kicked off my road to recovery last year. It really helped me understand where I have been, am, and want to go.

I haven't had 100% success as quitting has proved more difficult for me than I thought it would. I attribute that to really, really wanting to hold on to drinking for selfish reasons. I held on for the last time 8 days ago and don't intend to look back.

This was the first year I have been sober for one of my children's birthday parties... my oldest son's 5th. That's both incredibly painful yet very motivating. It was a great feeling... It would have been even more gratifying had I been one month out.

Hang in there. You've made an awesome decision to get your life back.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great plan. It will be the best decision you'll ever make. Congratulations and welcome!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great decision GreenBeans, you won't regret it x

Welcome to SR

Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, everyone. I really appreciate it.
I feel so good about this. Last time I tried to quit, I didn't want it bad enough (or really, at all), this time is so much different.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds great to me too Greenbeans

D
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi GreenBeans! That's an important list of reasons why - you have plenty of incentive to do this thing! We know you can. It will feel so good to be free of it.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome GreenBeans!
I too had to reach the end of my drinking chain before I decided: Yup. This is it.
I'm a newcomer to the REAL party here. So, be well. Drink lots of water, and read up!
These guys all have such good experiences, and sage advice on how they got--and stayed sober.
Welcome again, and best!
ScoutBall
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! Isn't it a great feeling when you finally decide full heartedly that you are done and want something different for your life?

Keep up the positive thinking and keep moving forward! There is no better gift you can give your daughter on her birthday then to be sober
Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome GreenBeans! You've made a wonderful decision.

Use this forum for support as much as you need to. And please seek out additional help if you need it. That's what I did, you are definitely not alone in your struggle.

I could really identify with much of your post. I don't know how it will work out for you, but for me, my anxiety and depression has gradually dissolved away these last 7 months.

The massive amounts of alcohol I was consuming was causing my anxiety and depression, rather than relieving it.

I'm hoping maybe this can happen for you too.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I agree SDSurfn - we end up sabotaging ourselves with the very thing we're using to help us cope. Madness. Here's where it can end.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome GreenBeans! Congratulations on your decision!!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi Greenbean. Welcome to the first day of your new life! Sobriety is awesome!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You won't regret this.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are going to feel so much better by your daughter's bday. It's an amazing transition.