Notices

scared and lonely

Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I understand it's scary and overwhelming. I too am an alcoholic and I spent YEARS knowing I had to something but just kind of avoiding it because i wasn't sure where to start.

Finally, just this morning I mad a DR. appointment with a general practitioner. He will direct me from there. They hear this all the time i'm sure.

We obviously aren't doing a great job with our own health, so why not get the advice of a professional?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am one person who does not think going to detox is always the answer. I went to several day programs where people were just out from months of Inpatient and started using again during the Outpatient program even though they were on probation that prevented them from drinking. You could check in for a 5 day detox to get you through the worst and then just use all of your strength after that and go to a meeting every day after work. Also, you can do it at home. As long as you get some meds and don't drink at all, in my opinion it's relatively painless. Of course you have to keep working and decide that 'alcohol is never an option.' It will be a lot easier to do your job sober. I went through grad school as a drunk and it was really easy, but I made it really hard by drinking.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

thank you for that advice! I have to go to detox, because if my husband does not see some paperwork, I'm getting the boot. This is hard, but not the hardest thing i've ever done. I'm mostly ashamed of myself and scared of trying to make it up to everyone, yaknow?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Bree, save the shame for later--when you're sober you will have plenty of time to make amends. I know the feeling; all of us here have felt shame and remorse to one degree or another. But getting sober would be the best apology you could ever give.

Given your situation, I think Scott from WI's advice can help you.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Bree: Welcome and congratulations on acknowledging that alcohol has become a problem. That's the first step in making your life better! It's never too late! And as far as the issues with your business Bree, where there's a will there is a way. I would suggest talking to your doctor and explain your circumstances and discuss your options. Remember that the situation is not black or white, there's a lot of grey area in between where you can find a solution.

"You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hang in there Bree! You already have lots of support from SoberRecovery.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Bree,

Welcome. I was just as scared and lonely when I came to this site. You are not alone. Keep talking xxx
Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by breegirl View Post
thank you for that advice! I have to go to detox, because if my husband does not see some paperwork, I'm getting the boot. This is hard, but not the hardest thing i've ever done. I'm mostly ashamed of myself and scared of trying to make it up to everyone, yaknow?
Your first big step in making things up to others is to quit drinking.

Detox/rehab is like school. All you need to know/do for the time being is right there. Some look at school as an opportunity and work it.... some see it as a place to hang out and don't pay attention and get little out of the experience ..... some are downright disruptive in class and are a detriment to the education being offered.

It makes little difference what others do, it's what YOU do to get all you can from those trying to teach you so you can get back on track.

Detox will get you stabilized and ready for a recovery program. The oldtimers at detox/rehab will point you in the right direction. Just follow the winners.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-05-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Maybe you could take a week off and tell your customers that you have to be briefly "out of town" and, if possible, get a substitute to handle pressing matters in your absence. Then consult a doctor to arrange a safe way of detoxing if that is necessary. Start getting counseling and some way of getting group support by others in recovery, like AA if that works for you. And make up your mind that you're really going to do it this time since, if you don't you'll start losing it all. Good luck and keep posting here.

W.