Notices

Questioning myself

Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questioning myself

I made the half way mark on march 20th. I have six months sober. I went to a meeting tonight and I can't get the thought of drinking out of my head. This is the first time since I came into the program and had such a strong desire to just drink. I called my sponsor immediately and she got the thought out of my head. It's now almost one and i can't sleep thinking about it. Will I always have these desires?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Bluetiger, 6 months sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Going on 2 years 9 months sober, the intensity of the urges have diminished, but I still get them.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Google search PAWS (post-acute withdrawal symptoms) for in-depth information on what to expect during the first two years of sobriety. Following is an excerpt from Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies

"Post-acute withdrawal can be a trigger for relapse. You'll go for weeks without any withdrawal symptoms, and then one day you'll wake up and your withdrawal will hit you like a ton of bricks. You'll have slept badly. You'll be in a bad mood. Your energy will be low. And if you're not prepared for it, if you think that post-acute withdrawal only lasts for a few months, or if you think that you'll be different and it won't be as bad for you, then you'll get caught off guard. But if you know what to expect you can do this."

Arming yourself with knowledge of what to expect during recovery can help strengthen your resolve and prevent a relapse. The attached information is from only one of hundreds of websites from a Google search.

While the cravings can be strong, they will pass and lessen in intensity and frequency over time.

Stay strong, you are doing so well. Just know that this too shall pass!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To Bluetiger...
I wish I had your time...Congratulations ! I have 20 some days...and anxious for more time to feel more clarity and happiness. When I quit smoking cigarettes for awhile, years ago, I used to have the urge, acknowlege it, and concentrate on just letting the thought go...again and again, whenever the thoughts would come up. I do that now, with alcohol cravings and I think because I give the cravings attention, briefly, and then let it go, as if it had form, sort of re-program the mental process to a kind act, respectful, yet firm...like "OK, thought, leave promptly" You've come a long way...you must have your own technic by now, right ? another thing I noticed was I would be so concentrating on alcohol during meetings, it sometimes would evoke urges to drink ! You figure !

Cindy
Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bluetiger

It;s been a long time since I was troubled by such thoughts, but definitely I had the occasional moment in my first year. I'd drunk for 20 years - it seems natural to me we'd still think that way sometimes.

The important thing is what you did in response to those thoughts - you did all the right things, and it went away.

That's a true measure of recovery by my standards

D
Old 04-03-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, the desire to drink will fade in time. Stay sober!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I made it through the day without a drink .... I ratted on my disease I called my sponsor and the friends I made in the rooms. : )
Old 04-03-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hi ma'am
Congratulations on makin it thus far! 6mths is a lonoooong time for we alcoholics! The thots will always be there since that's what u & I ran to when we wanted to change the way we felt. Its very good that u called u're sponsor. Do u have network of women @ u're home group or other AA groups near you? I ask coz they will support u esp if sponsor may not answer when u call. Hit as many mtgs as u can & the obsession will go away w/ time. Read the grapevine magazines offered @ most groups so if u happen to miss @ mtg coz of work or whatever, that acts as u're substitute for the time being.
I can tell by the way u wrote u're post that u WILL make it. Don't let fear rule u're mind or keep u up @ nite; just say to u'reself everyday "I never have to quit drinking, just not today"
Hope it helps
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raku View Post
To Bluetiger...
I wish I had your time...Congratulations ! I have 20 some days...and anxious for more time to feel more clarity and happiness. When I quit smoking cigarettes for awhile, years ago, I used to have the urge, acknowlege it, and concentrate on just letting the thought go...again and again, whenever the thoughts would come up. I do that now, with alcohol cravings and I think because I give the cravings attention, briefly, and then let it go, as if it had form, sort of re-program the mental process to a kind act, respectful, yet firm...like "OK, thought, leave promptly" You've come a long way...you must have your own technic by now, right ? another thing I noticed was I would be so concentrating on alcohol during meetings, it sometimes would evoke urges to drink ! You figure !

Cindy
I had the same issue when I quit smoking several years ago (held out for 3 years but did restart). But used the same method you did. And it works quite fine. Again I am doing same the thing with booze. The withdrawals are over and now its just the brain (Alcoholic Voice). But *I* know that and I think that makes a big difference. Anyhow, good advice!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

letting go of the av

Jim...thanks for your comment !
Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Ratted on the disease"
I love it. I'm stealing it for my own use if that's ok.
Truly, SR has been nothing short of awesome for me. Just knowing there is a whole lot of people with great insights into the highs and lows of this process is really comforting.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluetiger View Post
It's now almost one and i can't sleep thinking about it. Will I always have these desires?
These were the times when the last 3 lines of AA's HOW IT WORKS would go through my head:

(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.
(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

It was times like these where I "asked His protection and care with complete abandon"

No, you won't always have those desires, keep close to the oldtimers and your sponsor.

You said in your original post that you were "halfway there".... halfway to where?

All the best.

Bob R