Notices

off to rehab tomorrow..

Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

off to rehab tomorrow..

really nervous about rehab tomorrow, im there for 28 days and im really not wanting to go but i know it has to be done. anyone else been threw rehab and have any avice for me?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck. You'll be fine. What are you coming off? Will they do detox first.? My rehab experience was quite bearable and I went for a couple of months, unfortunately got kicked out but was fine and not scary at all. Confronting yes but good to be around similar people. Best of luck.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks and yea there is detoxing and im coming off a heavy daily cocaine addiction
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Best of luck. You'll do great. Continue going to meetings if you can once you are discharged.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

NickG-

The other posts aside, I would like to say CONGRATS and yes this is a great decision and a great building block for your future. I went to rehab in a 22-28 day inpatient program just last summer. I was asked to go after suffering seizures and I begrudgingly accepted, but inside I was very nervous and knew this was a big deal.

It is a big deal and it's great. I had a schedule, 7am breakfast, 9am lecture, 10:30am group, 12pm lunch, 1:30pm group, free time from 3-5, dinner, exercise, another lecture then it was a movie or a board game, and bed. Every day for 28 days. Each new group member was encouraged to introduce themselves and be truthful, you will get great support and meet people in your situation. We had some "fun" stuff, but most of it centered around recovery. Drugs and alcohol were strictly forbidden, as were cell phones. DONT be tempted to break any of the rules, nobody knows you there, just be a student of the game and do the drill.

I came out of it with a sense of accomplishment, and it's been a wild ride since, but I would not be sober 9 months in without that treatment center. It is 100% the core of my recovery and it probably saved my life.

Congrats again, I hope my description gives you an idea what to expect. Remember, if you're gonna go, give it the full effort, do what's asked of you. Best of luck.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience here, but best wishes Nick

D
Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

I wasn't excited about going to rehab either, but it was the best decision I ever made. Go there, be honest, work hard and it will be over before you know it. Good Luck!!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is a chance for you to start over and get clean. Take advantage of it. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by nickg View Post
thanks and yea there is detoxing and im coming off a heavy daily cocaine addiction
Hey mate best of luck. Absolutely nothing to be nervous about. Been through it and in my experience you'll get out of it what you put in. If I'd had that attitude first go around, I would have saved myself a lot of heartache and pain.

Embrace it and it'll set you on a path that can turn your life around.

Stay safe

NT
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Nick!

Rehab is a great choice!

But I think the way to make it work is to follow up with meetings. My wife went to rehab, we did not go to meetings afterwards, and the drinking started again soon. Then I went to detox, and we did 90 meetings in 90 days and are still going strong now (150 days).

Best wishes!

∞cf
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Never had an official rehab experience, but I wish you the best of luck! I've been through the therapy portion of it, based on a court-ordered thing a couple years ago, and I was not honest with my counselors. I just "went through the motions" to get it done with.

My best advice would be in total agreement with the above info: be honest. Just be humble, it sounds like you've made the right steps by admitting the problem, you're on the right track man. I hope it goes awesome for you.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Nick do not be nervous. Go in with the mindset that is positive. Take a much from it as you can. As bigsom said it is structured...which I found helpful while there and after.

Always someone there to talk with and help you.

Probably no cell phones or Internet , but please check in here when you can and let us know how your doing

Take Care Nick. You can do this!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Never been but I would try to take in what they tell you.
They ar'nt bullshitting you and want to help you.

Hang out with the people who seem like they really want to get clean and sober.

Enjoy it,it could be the best thing for you!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck. Just remember whenever you want to leave why you are going and how unbearable life was when you were using. Everyone in my rehab wanted to leave in the first few days (many packed) but when it came to leaving lots of people wanted to stay!

If you have any questions ring before you go. Some things you might want to check are whether you cook your own meals and if not make sure they know about any dietary requirements, when you are allowed out (you might not be allowed out at all for a while so make sure you have everything you need) and any items you aren't allowed (things like mouthwash with alcohol, razors if you have a history of self harm).

Really I'd just say be prepared to be as honest as possible. You'll get the most from it that way.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!