Notices

Newcomer - Hi

Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer - Hi

I came across this site while doing some google searches in regards to alcoholism, problem drinking etc. I like what I have read and a lot of it seems to reflect my current situation with booze (weekend binger).

A bit about me:
I'm 36 now but I have been a binge/problem drinker since I've been 16 or so. Since that time, I could probably count on my hands how many sober weekends I have had. Finally, after all the problems this behavior has caused over the years, I've concluded I need to quit.

Thanks,
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Dan! You won't be sorry you joined us - this is a great place & we want to help.

I'd been drinking my whole life when I came to SR. I found the courage to quit, and now I'm 5+ years free of it. Congratulations for coming to this wise conclusion - you'll never regret it. I wish I'd stopped in my 30's - my life would've been so different. Glad to have you join the family.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome Dan! You won't be sorry you joined us - this is a great place & we want to help.

I'd been drinking my whole life when I came to SR. I found the courage to quit, and now I'm 5+ years free of it. Congratulations for coming to this wise conclusion - you'll never regret it. I wish I'd stopped in my 30's - my life would've been so different. Glad to have you join the family.
Thank You for the warm welcome.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Dan. It's a good place to be if you want to quit. Quite a few of us are working on stopping our binge drinking. Being here has helped me.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Dan! You will find so much here - friendship, support, educational information, no judgement and even some laughs!

You are making a wise choice. It is a challenging road but worth traveling.

All the best to you as you embark on your recovery!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Welcome Dan. It's a good place to be if you want to quit. Quite a few of us are working on stopping our binge drinking. Being here has helped me.
Thanks for the welcome. Glad this community has helped you, I'm going to try and be involved and do the same.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dan,

I am a recovering binge drinker. Read the binge drinker havoc post. I bumped it up for You.

MyFitz
Old 04-02-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Dan

D
Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyFitz View Post
Dan,

I am a recovering binge drinker. Read the binge drinker havoc post. I bumped it up for You.

MyFitz
Thanks MyFitz. I know all too well the 'morning' after effects you describe, which usually last me until Tues-Wed if I get loaded on a Saturday night. I'm still self hating somewhat from last weekend, it's amazing the stupid things one can do in a matter of two days.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think we binge drinkers have a hard time recognizing the seriousness of our problem. The constant hangovers and withdrawls after v each binge are More damaging than daily drinkers experience from what I've read. Just try and do a month and let the dust settle.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Dan, glad you're here. I wish at 36 I had realized that I had a problem. I knew I was crazy, but didn't associate it to my drinking. By 36 my weekends were 3-4 days long. But a kept digging my bottom deeper and didn't find recovery until 48. By then my dis-ease had escallated and I was at my jumbing off point! By God's grace I was led to AA. Now I have 15 years sober. Hang in there and maybe you will not have to suffer additional consequences caused by alcohol. The AA's told me to start off my day by praying and asking God to keep me sober(not help me stay sober, but keep me sober) That's how I started and it stuck and I'm still doing it today. One day at a time, it will get better.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Dan,

I am around your age (38) and started coming to this site early in my sobriety. I also struggled with drinking, I was hanging on a cliff for a long time before I lost my grip. I am happy to say SR has helped me a lot, there is a solid community with various opinions. The common thread is that we want to get this monster off our backs. Sounds like you have your head on straight, welcome.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1free1 View Post
Welcome Dan, glad you're here. I wish at 36 I had realized that I had a problem. I knew I was crazy, but didn't associate it to my drinking. By 36 my weekends were 3-4 days long. But a kept digging my bottom deeper and didn't find recovery until 48. By then my dis-ease had escallated and I was at my jumbing off point! By God's grace I was led to AA. Now I have 15 years sober. Hang in there and maybe you will not have to suffer additional consequences caused by alcohol. The AA's told me to start off my day by praying and asking God to keep me sober(not help me stay sober, but keep me sober) That's how I started and it stuck and I'm still doing it today. One day at a time, it will get better.
Thanks for the welcome, 1Free1.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Some interesting reading someone on here turned me on to...
Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hey Dan, welcome to SR. You'll find lots of great people here willing to lend a helping hand or even just a shoulder to cry on so to speak. It really does help make you not feel so isolated. I recommend posting alot and really getting involved in the boards. I find it helps me stay connected to my own sobriety and my reminds me daily of why I've given the booze away. Also, google AVRT for addiction, that has been a huge help to me as it helps me separate myself from the ugly beast of addiction. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyFitz View Post
Some interesting reading someone on here turned me on to...
Interesting indeed, thank you for the link.