SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   3 1/2 months down the drain but back on board. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/289845-3-1-2-months-down-drain-but-back-board.html)

HappyAccidents 04-02-2013 06:39 PM

3 1/2 months down the drain but back on board.

Tried to moderate for a few weeks which was successful, then slowly, or quickly rather, excess started to reappear. Drove drunk again = check. Drove women away who actually liked me = check. Made myself sick = check. become an arrogant narcissistic wanker = check

back on the water wagon effective immediately = check.

Time to stay away from my binge drinking friends and refocus on my uni work.

Thanks for listening.

Hevyn 04-02-2013 06:43 PM

Hi Happy. :) No, not down the drain, but a lesson learned. You'll be even more determined now that the little experiment did not work out well. Same thing happened to me many times - we always like to think we can use willpower to save ourselves. No, no we can't. :)

Glad you came back to talk about it! You're going to do it this time.

dun 04-02-2013 06:47 PM

I just did the same thing,same result too. Its almost like we have to do the experiment to find out that we cant handle it.

Heartfan82 04-02-2013 07:28 PM

I've tried that moderation thing, too, so many times. So, it starts off okay, just a few drinks a night, and quickly turns into bottles lying around in the cupboards, so I'm sure to never run out....sigh...

Glad you're back on board, it gives me hope. Hey, at least you know you CAN do it for 3+ months, cause you already did! I'm into day 11 and I hope to be here celebrating a year, and just continuing until....forever?!

Aborigine 04-02-2013 07:37 PM

Can't Drink, Can't quit.
We're all supporting you to make sobriety a commitment.
Keep trying!

HappyAccidents 04-02-2013 07:51 PM

The inability to make rational decisions is terrifying.

And why the hell do i think people want to put up with my drunken spiel? Calls, texts, social media. It's really quite childish.

Sally3127 04-02-2013 08:02 PM

I came back and am stronger for it. i know what i have to do now. I didn't drink today. One day at a time.

LadyinBC 04-02-2013 08:29 PM

Nope, not down the drain. You have 3 1/2 months sober that no one can take away from you. I think it is important to focus on the positive, however, it is important to take a look at why you relapsed and what you can do so you don't next time. Everyone makes mistakes along the way.

Delilah1 04-02-2013 10:53 PM

I did the same thing, I am now trying to refocus myself on what worked during that time. Glad to be back on the wagon with you.
:)

ReadyAtLast 04-03-2013 01:15 AM

good to see you back.

least 04-03-2013 04:15 AM

Glad you're giving it another go.:)

soberclover 04-03-2013 05:52 AM

Thank you for the reminder that it really is not possible to control drinking. I tried, I failed, I'm back. Funny, however, that I STILL need the reminders that it isn't possible! I am looking forward to your posts to see how you are doing!

Stewart888 04-03-2013 06:03 AM

Not always easy to come back though the doors..but you have...keep it going buddy..