SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New here - first post (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/289815-new-here-first-post.html)

Sunbaby 04-02-2013 12:52 PM

New here - first post

Hello everybody. So, this is unfamiliar, to post, but I've been reading posts for a while and can associate with a lot of what people are writing. It's hard to admit and accept that drinking has become a problem. Especially when it had always been a carefree fun experience. It has changed. I don't enjoy it the same as before.

I have been a binge drinker for years now but it has spilled over into affecting my job. It's a combination of things that I feel I have responded to by binge drinking on weeknights with friends, rather than just on weekends. I am missing work because of this. I want to be able to enjoy a beer like I used to and I'm afraid that won't happen again. I am not sure how to start stopping or which area to go to on this site to get started. Thanks for listening, in advance.

:a108:

mistyblue87 04-02-2013 12:55 PM

Hi Sunbaby, drinking used to be fun and carefree for me too, but after so many close calls it's not fun anymore by a long shot. I found that goin gon the chat feature on this site, and going to the meetings in the chat helps me a lot. Everyone here is very supportive of each other and that's a breath of fresh air.
You can definitely do it! :welcome

Sonic9 04-02-2013 12:57 PM

Hi Sunbaby , I am also new to the forum but not new to drinking . I have very similar drinking probs to you . I went to AA a few times but it wasn't for me so I tried my local J2R council place and it was superb , hope you can find them near you

least 04-02-2013 01:27 PM

:welcome to the family! You can stop drinking. It takes effort but it's worth it. A very wise woman from SR used to say "you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink" and I found that to be true.:) You'll find lots of support here.:hug:

Sunbaby 04-02-2013 02:02 PM

Thank you all for welcoming me. I appreciate the support and don't feel so strange knowing that others can relate to my issues. And I really appreciate the suggestions and information on what things have helped you. I am nervous but excited too.

Impurrfect 04-02-2013 02:13 PM

((Sunbaby)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

heath480 04-02-2013 02:15 PM

Welcome to SR Sunbaby.

Wishing you well on your journey in sobriety.

Sunbaby 04-02-2013 02:22 PM

Thank you very much Impurrfect. Cute pics of your "babies".

Sunbaby 04-02-2013 02:28 PM

Thank you Heath480. I like your tag line & am hoping to get my life back.

Dee74 04-02-2013 02:29 PM

Hi Sunbaby - this forum is a good one to start with :)

it's a little unsure to me by your post - are you looking to quit completely?

D

FeenixxRising 04-02-2013 02:52 PM

Welcome Sunbaby. There are a lot of us here with the same binge drinking issues--I'm one of them. You might want to commit to stopping right now and join the people on the "Class of April 2013".

Stopping now is probably a good idea; developing a deeper alcohol problem is something you really should avoid at all costs. It's not an enjoyable or pretty journey.

Sunbaby 04-02-2013 02:58 PM

Hi Dee,

I'd like to be able to enjoy it again but from what I've read so far I don't think that's an option. I don't think I can go backwards and am thinking I need to stop completely. I'm still able to have a glass of wine or two at family events without needing to binge but now I don't enjoy it because it brings memories of my drunken mindset and feelings of shame about my secret drunk side my family doesn't know about. I've also told myself many times that I would not get drunk on a weeknight but end up unable to stop before being plastered. I know I need help and am feeling I may need to stop completely.

Sunbaby 04-02-2013 03:06 PM

Thank you FeenixxRising,

I will look into the April 2013 class and I appreciate the advice on where it could lead if I don't stop. I've had some close calls with driving and it horrified me. I don't want to have something terrible happen in order to make me realize I need to quit.

Dee74 04-02-2013 03:08 PM

From my own experience, I think thats a wise decision sunbaby :)

D

Hevyn 04-02-2013 04:29 PM

Welcome sunbaby.

I wanted so much to hold on to the fun part of it - but I had to admit it was many years since it had been enjoyable. All it brought me in the end was despair and anxiety. I even tested it once - after 3 years sober. I decided I could have a glass of wine. The glass of wine became the whole bottle - then I drank the next day to 'cure' my hangover. I continued drinking for many more years, & never once could I control the amounts I drank. My job - and my whole life was affected. I had no choice but to stop completely. That's when I found SR.

We're glad to have you here with us - and I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Paddler 04-02-2013 05:42 PM

In July of last year I reached out to a recovering friend asking for help because I knew I had a problem. I tried to regulate through the end of the year. I came here in December knowing I had a problem after a Christmas binge and the resolve to quit completely. That lasted two weeks. Since then I've had lots and lots of 2 weeks because my mind has tried and tried to hold onto the hope I can get a grip and drink normally again with my friends... while also telling me it's time to quit.

I've accepted the fun drinking days are over and God has presented me with a crossroads. Either keep hoping for those normal and fun drinking days and the life they trick me to believe comes along with them...

Or accept the past 12 years of my abnormal drinking weren't by accident. I won't be able to change... and it's time to move on.

I'm working on choosing my health, my family, and my future over any buzz and the hell that follows... from the bottle.

I've read enough posts from wise folks' here as well as people really struggling to know reality is just what it is. Reality... I'm accepting mine.

It sure hasn't been easy but my reflections on the past and focus on the future are coming together. Slowly. Real slowly. =). I sure wish you the best. ;)

IWillWin 04-02-2013 05:54 PM

Welcome Sunbaby!

Yup, I can relate.

It was all so much fun...super fun, actually...and then, BOOM! Just like that it wasn't fun anymore. Once I crossed that line I could never go back. I tried like hell, believe me, because it was so much fun, but I figured out after beating my body up pretty good that it is never going to be fun again. Ever.

Now I look for ways to have fun sober - and surprisingly, I'm having more fun now than I ever did when I was drinking. At least it feels that way :)

You have come to the right place. And there are some pretty fun peeps around here!

Sunbaby 09-26-2017 10:46 PM

Wow, my mind is kind of shocked. I just found my original post on this thread and didn't realize it's been 5 years, and the same time of year since I first considered I had a problem. Holy ****... what an eye-opener. There is no denying the fact of how long ago I realized I had a problem, even before I actually realized it. Five years I've lied to myself and a lot of messed up stuff has happened since then. I NEED TO BEAT THIS. I had stopped coming to this sight for 5 years until this month, almost if not exactly 5 years ago. I didn't realize that. Kind of dumbfounded right now. I doesn't truly get it back then. And all this time y'all have been here and I wasted those years and lost a job and a boyfriend since then. And damn near some of my family and nearly my house (from job loss). Love you all!! Glad I remembered this site and am here again.

Zanna 09-27-2017 12:21 AM

:welcome home Sunbaby :)

Stronger2017 09-27-2017 01:10 AM

Hi Sunbaby😀 I'm glad you're giving it another go. Good luck!