Notices

She really made me drink!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome Snowie.

We're glad you're here, & want to help you to keep from falling back on alcohol when you're upset. You said you can 'get it back' - your sobriety - and I'm sure you will. Please talk about what's bothering you here - before you take that drink. It'll help relieve the anxiety you're feeling. I used it to mask my feelings for years, and it never helped resolve my troubles - just kept me in a numb & foggy state where I was incapable of accomplishing anything. I hope you're ready to give this another try.
what she said
Old 04-02-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, do talk about how you're feeling before you drink. We all have a choice as to how we will deal with a problem, and you will get so much better at making healthy choices as you recover.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the comments, it has really helped. You are all 100% right. I have a very stressful time coming up after which the person concerned will have no tie left to me. I won't let her "make" me slip again. It's been so good not to fall back on old habits, discover new ways of dealing with life.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Snowie, this is a tough time but if you get sober and start working on why you drink you will completely come to realize that you drank because you didn't like the way you felt and you wanted to feel different. While that may seem obvious, what wasn't obvious to you when you drank was that there were other ways to change the way you felt.

Life served you a nasty day and its going to serve up many more so start letting these things go and don't sweat it. even if you have to turn the other cheek its just not worth pouring that poison down your throat.

Also, you mention that you have some stress coming up. Well, if that stress isn't right now then why worry anout it. You will only use it as a reason to drink if you fret over it for days leading up to it. I found that if I waited to concern myself about not drinking on holidays when the holiday actually got here I found it was much easier. There was no use in worrying about how I was gonna stay sboer on July 4th if it was Jun 5th.

God Bless!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks ghal. I tried to add a bit to my last post but there was a time limit.

It really is just an excuse ain't it. There was a childish drama to it yesterday, sort of "argh if one thing will drive me to drink, THIS will!" To be fair it's not noise or something equally trivial. I CHOSE to react childishly, when I could have just been a grown up.

I really am grateful for all the comments, I'm clear headed today and resolved that no person or thing needs "special treatment". I've been doing great & life's really been opening up, I'd be a fool to spoil it!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Is all I could think when I read your first post is "you showed her". Glad your thinking came around. Sometimes we just can't help but let certain people get under the skin. If you drink "because" of her you just let her possibly ruin your life and hurt your family.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, if she's leaving you notes through your door, you don't have to read them.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowie71 View Post
Thanks ghal. I tried to add a bit to my last post but there was a time limit.

It really is just an excuse ain't it. There was a childish drama to it yesterday, sort of "argh if one thing will drive me to drink, THIS will!" To be fair it's not noise or something equally trivial. I CHOSE to react childishly, when I could have just been a grown up.

I really am grateful for all the comments, I'm clear headed today and resolved that no person or thing needs "special treatment". I've been doing great & life's really been opening up, I'd be a fool to spoil it!
This outlook on life and your trials with it are going to take you a long, long way...well done Keep up the good work