Notices
View Poll Results: What are your triggers?
Stressful situations
62.90%
Seeing it on TV or reading about it
20.97%
Talking about it
11.29%
Driving past stores/old dealers
24.19%
Having money in your hand
11.29%
other
43.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

What are your "triggers"

Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Sorry!! I posted this and then didn't get back on the forum until now. My triggers are stressful situations. I am SO sensative to stress right now. The littlest thing can happen and I want to go get high to escape. I am working REALLY hard on dealing with stress and getting to a point where I don't want to get high everytime my blood pressure rises ya know.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberFallon View Post
A huge trigger for me early in sobriety was watching football on TV. So I skipped the entire NFL season. May seem a bit drastic but I knew it was a trigger at the time. the trigger eventually passed. So much that I attended the Super Bowl last year completely sober. Never had so much fun being stone cold sober!
I dont think thats drastic at all. You do what you have to, to take care of YOU and your sobriety. It's like when you break up with someone and stop listening to music until you're over them because every song makes you feel depressed and missing them.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Yeah, no triggers here either, anymore. As the years of a sobriety lifestyle go on, life changes so much, being a recovered alcoholic drug addict successfully disowns all the triggers of my past drinking daze.
You are an inspiration to me. I can't wait to not have triggers anymore!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Considering tonight is the premiere of the series Mad Men, I have to confess that is a huge trigger for me. With all of the drinking and smoking culture in that show and because I just love the acting and writing, I don't know if I can watch it much as I have been looking forward to it! My drinking friends and I would even have cocktail parties with 50s style drinks and watch the show. It was comfortable and fun, but I want to get away from that trigger. I will try to keep thinking that I cannot 'glamorize ' the drink and lifestyle like that. Not worth it!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScoutBall View Post
I somewhat doubt I am unique in this...but I don't have "triggers".
I drank when I was happy.
I drank when I was sad.
I drank when I was anxious.
It just didn't really matter. I just drank. Socially, hiding alone in my office, sketching at the beach, or putting the finishing touches on a piece.
Didn't matter.
Pretty much anything could be a "reason" to drink. A party. A birthday. Dinner. Lunch. Saturday.
Probably not what you were after...but, it's my experience.

Glad I saw this response before I wrote one that almost paraphrased it.
I used to think it was rooted in a response to stress, self-esteem deficiency, the blues, etc. but my latest 'hiatus' was spawned from a very productive day that included a trip to the gym during lunch. That's a major indication of how far things had digressed. The triggers are many; essentially just a need to achieve what I deemed to be 'content bliss' as the new norm.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I actually think I'm more likely to drink when I'm in a particularly "up" mood. Almost like the good mood is what lowers my inhibitions and I just want alcohol to "maximize" the good mood. God forbid that I should "waste" a good mood on . . . sobriety!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gratefulnow View Post
Considering tonight is the premiere of the series Mad Men, I have to confess that is a huge trigger for me. With all of the drinking and smoking culture in that show and because I just love the acting and writing, I don't know if I can watch it much as I have been looking forward to it! My drinking friends and I would even have cocktail parties with 50s style drinks and watch the show. It was comfortable and fun, but I want to get away from that trigger. I will try to keep thinking that I cannot 'glamorize ' the drink and lifestyle like that. Not worth it!!!
There's no reason you couldn't still have parties like that minus the alcohal. Sparkling cider is yummy and looks great in a wine or champagne glass. Chocolate covered strawberries and Keats with imported cheeses. Tropical drinks with cut up fruit. You can still have an elegant party without the alcohol. Make new memories!! Just think...from now on you wont feel like crape the day after these get togethers
Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Crap**
Old 04-07-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Rogue Giant

I have been doing art on and off my whole life and when i began to be serious, i would drink for inspiration or to calm down while i did art or whatever. This soon led to the belief that i cannot do any art without drinking, i cant come up with ideas, anything. I know this is only my drunk mind speaking but still a tough trigger.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Rogue Giant

Originally Posted by HealingMySoul View Post
There's no reason you couldn't still have parties like that minus the alcohal. Sparkling cider is yummy and looks great in a wine or champagne glass. Chocolate covered strawberries and Keats with imported cheeses. Tropical drinks with cut up fruit. You can still have an elegant party without the alcohol. Make new memories!! Just think...from now on you wont feel like crape the day after these get togethers
Yeah, i had a similar experience with certain TV shows that i wanted to "enhance" with alcohol